Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Driven GT4/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023 | 01:24 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Why are you driving a car a mile to work? Why not walk or take a bus?
Haha mostly due to my ankle issues which prevent me from actually walking a decent distance anywhere. Have considered a bicycle but i also hate cold weather and its been below 40 degrees here! (lol dont hate me please i'm a cali boy through and through)
Old 01-20-2023 | 09:16 AM
nitesho
Intermediate

I live in CA and daily my Spyder.

Roads aren't too bad but the issue I have is the top. I generally dont drive with it down because I dont want to have to put it up when I park.

Also I worry about door dings in parking lots so I park miles away but without fail, an orange 78 datsun B210 with a brown door always parks next to me for some reason or a bubba in a brodozer sardine cans me in.

I am considering getting a Raptor again (again again) as a daily driver and leaving the Spyder for the weekends when we go to our place on Coronado.

But....it does look brilliant....
Old 01-20-2023 | 09:45 AM
aclicky
Advanced

@Xxyion daily drive so you get the break in mileage as well
Old 01-20-2023 | 10:11 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aclicky
@Xxyion daily drive so you get the break in mileage as well
He did this already on his drive back home after taking delivery.
The following users liked this post:
aclicky (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023 | 12:09 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Haha mostly due to my ankle issues which prevent me from actually walking a decent distance anywhere. Have considered a bicycle but i also hate cold weather and it's been below 40 degrees here! (lol dont hate me please i'm a cali boy through and through)
There's no way I'd fire up my Porsche twice daily for 2 minute drive. If you do it, I would suggest putting it on your battery tender daily.
Xxyion (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023 | 12:21 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by UncleDude
There's no way I'd fire up my Porsche twice daily for 2 minute drive. If you do it, I would suggest putting it on your battery tender daily.
Yeah it seems more than any other vehicle this is just not really a good I dea. if I do decide to make the GT4 my only car, I'll probably end up getting a bicycle to get to and from work and then just enjoy the car on the weekends.
Old 01-20-2023 | 12:32 PM
SW6
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt4sf
What insurance do you have that your deductible is only $100 for windshields? I'm also in Cali and mine is the same cost as any comprehensive claim unfortunately...
Not OP but I have Taverlers Insurance with a $50 deductible on glass and lenses under Endorsement E1OCW02 (01-25) which reads: Glass” as used in this endorsement means the: 1. Glass used in the windshield, doors, and windows of “your covered auto” or of a “non- owned auto”; and 2. Glass, transparent plastic or other material used in the exterior lights or mirrors of “your covered auto” or of a “non-owned auto.
Old 01-20-2023 | 12:37 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by SW6
Not OP but I have Taverlers Insurance with a $50 deductible on glass and lenses under Endorsement E1OCW02 (01-25) which reads: Glass” as used in this endorsement means the: 1. Glass used in the windshield, doors, and windows of “your covered auto” or of a “non- owned auto”; and 2. Glass, transparent plastic or other material used in the exterior lights or mirrors of “your covered auto” or of a “non-owned auto.
I feel like a decent amount of insurance offers this but won't add it as a default and its something you need to talk to an agent about adding.
Old 01-20-2023 | 04:54 PM
gt4sf
Intermediate

I feel like a decent amount of insurance offers this but won't add it as a default and it’s something you need to talk to an agent about adding.
Appreciate the feedback here. I tried to get my insurance to add it on my M3 but they had no idea what I was talking about. I’ll try again with the GT4 (maybe I’ll get an agent who’s more knowledgeable this time around).
Xxyion (01-20-2023)
Old 01-21-2023 | 08:00 AM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Haha mostly due to my ankle issues which prevent me from actually walking a decent distance anywhere. Have considered a bicycle but i also hate cold weather and its been below 40 degrees here! (lol dont hate me please i'm a cali boy through and through)
In cold temperatures it takes over two miles or more to warm up the Spyder/ GT4 engine if you keep the rev sub 2~2.5 k to protect the engine, which means the engine is still cold when you arrive.

Old 01-21-2023 | 08:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Hey, just chiming in with another viewpoint here. I don't drive mine daily as here up in the PNW a) the city roads are horrific, b) the drivers are bad, and c) it rains a bit and, personally, I don't like driving it with the top up for many reason, one being the ingress and egress into the LWBS with the top up is tough. So I save it for those oh so special days and then enjoy the top down heck out of it.

Daily for me? A 2010 2-door, inline 5, MT Golf with GTI suspension bits and bobs. I LOVE that car for the city. Accidently nip a curb, smack a pot hole, get parked too close to, cut off in traffic, lump over a speed bump etc etc... no problem. It's simply the BEST for that environment. I know alot of you have R's and GTI's but this little guy keeps on hitting far above it's weight. I even looked seriously at an eGolf but when I saw what they'd give me on trade in l laughed and walked away! And then when I drop the top on the Spyder, fire her up and hear the bark of that beautiful engine? Pure joy. They're a great pair.

Then there's the '74 GTV 2000 Italian mistress and that's a story for another day.

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-21-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2023 | 09:17 PM
Aj718Spy
AutoX

I daily my Spyder in FL. Though it shares time with a BRZ that I take to more suspect areas of town. Roads though are pretty good here. No PPF either. Probably a good idea on a beater car though for those tough spots in town for you.
Old 01-22-2023 | 10:34 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

A lot of good input. The more important question is what are you doing with the car on weekends? Track, autocross, mountain carving? Your engine and battery will not be happy with your short commute. A CTEK can solve the battery issue. Short runs introduce moisture and potential excess gasoline into the oil. Oil analysis and/or early oil changes might be needed. A DSC controller will "soften" the normal PASM setting and make the Sport+ mode firmer for the track. As you know having a dedicated DD in CA is expensive. My son found an older used Ford that had a small EV battery that qualified.
Old 01-23-2023 | 12:55 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
A lot of good input. The more important question is what are you doing with the car on weekends? Track, autocross, mountain carving? Your engine and battery will not be happy with your short commute. A CTEK can solve the battery issue. Short runs introduce moisture and potential excess gasoline into the oil. Oil analysis and/or early oil changes might be needed. A DSC controller will "soften" the normal PASM setting and make the Sport+ mode firmer for the track. As you know having a dedicated DD in CA is expensive. My son found an older used Ford that had a small EV battery that qualified.
Many good points. I think ive read enough at this point to just not "daily" the GT4 since i live so close to work. Currently i have a Veloster N as a daily and also for traveling into not quite as nice areas or if i need to drive more than one person around. I think i do want a cheap beater and have been thinking about getting a used Nissan Leaf. I can charge at work for free which would essentially remove any traveling costs associated with the car.

Weekends will mostly be mountain roads, autocross and the occasional track day with the GT4.
ronbauer (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023 | 11:15 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Daily drove this GT4 for 2~ years and 15,000~ miles, though my office was walkable—so I only drove it there from time to time (more often than I would have thought, though).

The car was perfectly fine as a daily in the Bay Area, and as they did in 986s and 987s, the twin trunks offer more practicality than the single trunk in my 991—the super accessible / shallow rear trunk in the GT4 with "handles" (the wing uprights) is superior to a super deep front trunk…but you get that one too. Also nice to keep stuff out of view in two trunks rather than throwing it in the back of the interior. The car was perfectly reliable (one squeak, covered under warranty), with the only real marks against being gearing (1-5 too long, 6th too short), Cup 2s in standing water (and, once, unexpected summer snow down Donner Pass), handling that was arguably too easy on the street (cue internal and external debates!), and…that's about it. Only sold it because I needed back seats. GT4 is a car you won't forget having owned, and I have no regrets daily'ing one. There's just something about being in a sports car more of the time than not: the GT4 really did make every trip special…even to the dry cleaners (via a few fun onramp/offramps).

However: having something practical around, and something you don't care about showing up in or parking in dicey spots, sure helps. In my case, that was access to a rarely used wheelchair van. If I was choosing, my vote would be something like what you've mentioned—or a pickup for the utility.
Xxyion (01-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Daily Driven GT4/Spyder