Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

serviceability and longevity of 6MT vs. PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
Company gave me a Pathfinder with a CVT as a company car. I found myself looking for walls I could hit a full speed. Worst car I've ever had to drive, and I can place all my angst on the CVT.
This made me chuckle pretty hard because I'm envisioning it as being barely or not an exaggeration at all lol. CVT is fine in a prius but what was nissan thinking putting it in everything?

It's like Fiat putting their version of the PDK it in their 4 door fiat 500. That car is for commuter traffic and you're putting a jerky dual clutch not designed for the total lack of cooling at constantly being shifted at 20kph rush hour into a cheap disposable car? Tons of transmission problems with those things made them basically worthless even when only a couple years old. We looked at a 2 year old one for 9g that was around 30g new, and we passed.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:49 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
This made me chuckle pretty hard because I'm envisioning it as being barely or not an exaggeration at all lol. CVT is fine in a prius but what was nissan thinking putting it in everything?

It's like Fiat putting their version of the PDK it in their 4 door fiat 500. That car is for commuter traffic and you're putting a jerky dual clutch not designed for the total lack of cooling at constantly being shifted at 20kph rush hour into a cheap disposable car? Tons of transmission problems with those things made them basically worthless even when only a couple years old. We looked at a 2 year old one for 9g that was around 30g new, and we passed.
Decisions that some car companies make, really make you scratch your head.

Quick Reply: serviceability and longevity of 6MT vs. PDK