Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Car washing pro tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:02 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Car washing pro tip

Well, maybe more noob than pro.

I was washing my ‘23 CGTS for the first time and learned an interesting lesson. First what is a guy in Chicago doing washing a car in January? The Chicago Auto Pros detail shop opened a detail supplies and DIY wash facility with all the high end cleaning tools needed to properly wash your baby. It’s called the Bays.

I was using a foam canon to soap up the car when the corner marker lights started flashing, randomly. Then at the back if the car the rear hood unlocked. It turns out the front hood also opened. After having a WTF moment I remembered my key was in my pocket. I knew this might be a problem wiping/drying the car, but not though the foam from the foam canon 6 feet away. Whenever I soaped the door handles and the car would lock or unlock, and the trunk/frunk would unlock when soaping the appropriate locations. It turns out the pressure sprayer was doing the same thing when I was initially wetting the car before soaping.

luckily I didn’t get too much water or soap in the trunk/frunk, but it could have been a mess. Talk about technical unintended consequences! REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE KEY FROM YOUR POCKET BEFORE WASHING YOUR BABY.
The following 4 users liked this post by gregturek:
BoxKing (01-17-2023), clifforza (01-28-2023), fjpdds (01-18-2023), Growler48 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:10 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by gregturek

I was washing my ‘23 CGTS for the first time and learned an interesting lesson. First what is a guy in Chicago doing washing a car in January? The Chicago Auto Pros detail shop opened a detail supplies and DIY wash facility with all the high end cleaning tools needed to properly wash your baby. It’s called the Bays.

I was using a foam canon to soap up the car when the corner marker lights started flashing, randomly. Then at the back if the car the rear hood unlocked. It turns out the front hood also opened. After having a WTF moment I remembered my key was in my pocket. I knew this might be a problem wiping/drying the car, but not though the foam from the foam canon 6 feet away. Whenever I soaped the door handles and the car would lock or unlock, and the trunk/frunk would unlock when soaping the appropriate locations. It turns out the pressure sprayer was doing the same thing when I was initially wetting the car before soaping.

luckily I didn’t get too much water or soap in the trunk/frunk, but it could have been a mess. Talk about technical unintended consequences! REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE KEY FROM YOUR POCKET BEFORE WASHING YOUR BABY.
do you have the Entry and Drive option specced? I assume if you don't this wouldn't be an issue?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:15 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by gregturek

I have not done a full water wash on any of my cars in about the last 10 years. I pressure rinse the major muck and grime off the car, then use Griot's Spray-on Car Wash with high quality deep pile microfiber. Even on black cars this has produced simply spectacular results.

1. Pressure rinse off all the major muck and grime, underbody, wheel wheels, brake dust, etc.
2. While wet, coat the car with liberal amounts of Spray-On Car Wash, working one panel at a time.
3. Wipe using a soaked folded microfiber towels using linear passes and turning frequently. Folded into quarters, one towel will give you 8 passes.
4. Buff dry with a microfiber drying towel.

That's it. At the end, you will have a full cleaned and spectacularly finished car. You can then apply whatever top product you like, but will rarely actually need anything. About 2-3 times a year, I refinish with a silicone dioxide product over my initial professional ceramic coating.

Last edited by VVG; 01-17-2023 at 06:27 PM.
2GSDs (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:29 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
do you have the Entry and Drive option specced? I assume if you don't this wouldn't be an issue?
yes. Should have mentioned that up front.
Xxyion (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 09:40 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I have not done a full water wash on any of my cars in about the last 10 years. I pressure rinse the major muck and grime off the car, then use Griot's Spray-on Car Wash with high quality deep pile microfiber. Even on black cars this has produced simply spectacular results.

1. Pressure rinse off all the major muck and grime, underbody, wheel wheels, brake dust, etc.
2. While wet, coat the car with liberal amounts of Spray-On Car Wash, working one panel at a time.
3. Wipe using a soaked folded microfiber towels using linear passes and turning frequently. Folded into quarters, one towel will give you 8 passes.
4. Buff dry with a microfiber drying towel.

That's it. At the end, you will have a full cleaned and spectacularly finished car. You can then apply whatever top product you like, but will rarely actually need anything. About 2-3 times a year, I refinish with a silicone dioxide product over my initial professional ceramic coating.
CarPro Reset or some specific ceramic spray be better than a rinse/wax since your car has a ceramic coating??
Old 01-17-2023, 10:10 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
CarPro Reset or some specific ceramic spray be better than a rinse/wax since your car has a ceramic coating??
Ideally you’ll want to avoid any products that have waxes, polymers or similar elements in the formulation; won’t hurt your base coating but will mask the beneficial surface properties of the coating.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:17 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I wish someone would open a DIY wash facility near me. For me it's warm water in the rinse buckets and thick rubber gloves.

And yeah I learned to leave the key in the car a long time ago.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:27 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123

His car wash routine is clearly dated, and not recommendable; with the exception to steps 1 & 4, while step 3 is debatable when performing a "regular wash" but in his case not recommended.
The outlined process is basically a glorified water-less wash method. I see far too many DIY detailers going about their wash routines in a careless fashion, I think its due to being misinformed about the properties of ceramic, and feel most ppl don't realize that ceramic coatings need to be properly cared for.

Every 3rd or 4th wash use a soap with decontamination properties, and thats safe for coated vehicles (foam cannon preferred). Wash the car, followed by a spray down with Iron X. Rinse, blow dry or use plush microfiber(s) drying towels, then apply the sacrificial top layer product of your choice (Polish angel is my current go to). This will help restore ones ceramic coats properties

In between washes, use a soap like reset/bathe... wash, rinse, dry... adding another layer of your sacrificial coating product if you wish during or after drying, though to me this is overkill.

BudgetPlan1 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:47 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

electric leaf blower - best way to dry your car. learned that years ago from washing my bike and trying to dry all the nooks and crannies on a v-twin engine....
Old 01-18-2023, 02:28 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

All three of my vehicles have keyless entry, the Cayenne, Cayman and BMW 540i. I learned a long time ago to put the key in the car while washing, on else the doors would constantly lock/unlock. Very annoying.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:46 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
His car wash routine is clearly dated, and not recommendable; with the exception to steps 1 & 4, while step 3 is debatable when performing a "regular wash" but in his case not recommended.
The outlined process is basically a glorified water-less wash method. I see far too many DIY detailers going about their wash routines in a careless fashion, I think its due to being misinformed about the properties of ceramic, and feel most ppl don't realize that ceramic coatings need to be properly cared for.

Every 3rd or 4th wash use a soap with decontamination properties, and thats safe for coated vehicles (foam cannon preferred). Wash the car, followed by a spray down with Iron X. Rinse, blow dry or use plush microfiber(s) drying towels, then apply the sacrificial top layer product of your choice (Polish angel is my current go to). This will help restore ones ceramic coats properties

In between washes, use a soap like reset/bathe... wash, rinse, dry... adding another layer of your sacrificial coating product if you wish during or after drying, though to me this is overkill.
What soap do you recommend to wash a coated car, and do you actually wash, or just spray on with a foam cannon, allow it to soak, pressure rinse, and blow dry, in a basically touchless method? Is this really sufficient to remove dirt from the surface of the car such that you can then apply a top coat product without scratching? My method produces great results to my eyes, but I am always open to learning better techniques.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:50 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
electric leaf blower - best way to dry your car. learned that years ago from washing my bike and trying to dry all the nooks and crannies on a v-twin engine....
Or get a Metro Vac Master Blaster heated dryer.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:56 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Or get a Metro Vac Master Blaster heated dryer.
This is the way.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:09 PM
LALTX
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
What soap do you recommend to wash a coated car, and do you actually wash, or just spray on with a foam cannon, allow it to soak, pressure rinse, and blow dry, in a basically touchless method? Is this really sufficient to remove dirt from the surface of the car such that you can then apply a top coat product without scratching? My method produces great results to my eyes, but I am always open to learning better techniques.
Another here who would like to know what soap to use on ceramic coated car.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:12 PM
LALTX
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

In fact, I searched but couldn't find a thread for How to best wash a car/ceramic coated car.

Would love to hear other people's process. Thanks

Quick Reply: Car washing pro tip