Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Car washing pro tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 04:17 PM
2GSDs
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I have not done a full water wash on any of my cars in about the last 10 years. I pressure rinse the major muck and grime off the car, then use Griot's Spray-on Car Wash with high quality deep pile microfiber. Even on black cars this has produced simply spectacular results.

1. Pressure rinse off all the major muck and grime, underbody, wheel wheels, brake dust, etc.
2. While wet, coat the car with liberal amounts of Spray-On Car Wash, working one panel at a time.
3. Wipe using a soaked folded microfiber towels using linear passes and turning frequently. Folded into quarters, one towel will give you 8 passes.
4. Buff dry with a microfiber drying towel.

That's it. At the end, you will have a full cleaned and spectacularly finished car. You can then apply whatever top product you like, but will rarely actually need anything. About 2-3 times a year, I refinish with a silicone dioxide product over my initial professional ceramic coating.
Thanks for the tip. By the way, this is the craziest pricing I’ve ever seen.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:21 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LALTX
Another here who would like to know what soap to use on ceramic coated car.
I have ceramic coating and PPF...the shop that installed both recommended 'Carpro RESET'.....I've used it exclusively and it works beautifully....
It's formulated specifically for these applications....
Old 01-18-2023, 04:32 PM
2GSDs
Racer

Any tips for those of us who are old school and do not have ceramic coating?
I’m currently using Meguiar’s Gold and would like to know your preferred wax. I use Collinite 845 Insulator on my other cars, but have yet to put anything on my baby.

@gregturek , sorry, man, I did chuckle.

Last edited by 2GSDs; 01-18-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
What soap do you recommend to wash a coated car, and do you actually wash, or just spray on with a foam cannon, allow it to soak, pressure rinse, and blow dry, in a basically touchless method? Is this really sufficient to remove dirt from the surface of the car such that you can then apply a top coat product without scratching? My method produces great results to my eyes, but I am always open to learning better techniques.
Another here who would like to know what soap to use on ceramic coated car.
In fact, I searched but couldn't find a thread for How to best wash a car/ceramic coated car.

Would love to hear other people's process. Thanks
Here's our recommended processes for washing at home; this AMG has Satin PPF + Ceramic Coating.

Pro car washing FROM HOME! | Step by step tutorial!

Pro wheel washing FROM HOME! | Step by step tutorial!

HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 01-18-2023, 04:44 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSDs
Thanks for the tip. By the way, this is the craziest pricing I’ve ever seen.

Makes no sense. Buy straight from the company. I know BoxKing is giving different advice for ceramic coated cars, but I inquired with Griot's about using this product on coated cars and they advised that it would work very well. My personal experience has been very positive. On my 2013 Audi S6, 2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Spyder, and 2022 Audi RS5, I have been using Griot's over ceramic, and to my eyes all is well. The finish remains brilliant, the water continues to bead amazingly, dirt comes off easily and things are as reflective in the sun as the human eye can possibly appreciate for those Cars and Coffee days. Don't know what else to say, but I am always looking for new things to try and ways to improve.

Last edited by VVG; 01-18-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:56 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Any tips for those of us who are old school and do not have ceramic coating?
I’m currently using Meguiar’s Gold and would like to know your preferred wax. I use Collinite 845 Insulator on my other cars, but have yet to put anything on my baby.

@gregturek , sorry, man, I did chuckle.
Waterless wash using Griot's Spray On Car Wash after a good pressure rinse, then Griot's ceramic 3-in-1 wax. Try it. See if you like it. I think you will get all sorts of recommendations. Lots of ways to do it.

I moved to using Lithium products also for detailing after recommendation from a friend and noticed a real difference. Their Trim Serum is truly amazing.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:27 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
What soap do you recommend to wash a coated car, and do you actually wash, or just spray on with a foam cannon, allow it to soak, pressure rinse, and blow dry, in a basically touchless method? Is this really sufficient to remove dirt from the surface of the car such that you can then apply a top coat product without scratching? My method produces great results to my eyes, but I am always open to learning better techniques.
PH neutral soaps, that don’t have adders like “instant wax, all in one soap” - Geyon Bathe or Foam, Car Pro Reset, Koch-Chemie Gsf Snow Foam. These would be examples of what I use for 90% of my regular washes. When I do a decontamination wash, I usually do a 50/50 mixture of Adam’s Strip wash, or OG Decontamination soap, paired with one of the gentler soaps I listed prior in a 70/30 water to soap(s) mixture in the foam cannon. A foam cannon is a must for these products (I use MTM Hydro PF22.2).

Brief process: excluding wheels, tires, glass and interior.
-Pressure wash/rinse entire vehicle.
-Foam the entire car, let sit for 3-5 minutes.
-Fully rinse excess foam off the car.
-Foam the car lightly (I save a little from the first go around with the foam gun) - this step is to apply a slick surface for your wash kit to gently move over your cars paintwork.
-Wash with wash pad.. Incredipad is my go to…. I used some soft sponge by Esoteric which I don’t recommend as it gathers dirt on its surface… I cut mine up and use it on my wheels only.
-Rinse
-Dry - I use a leaf blower EGO brand, then I follow up with plush microfiber.

Decontamination wash is basically the same as above, with the addition of using an Iron removal product such as Iron X on all the surfaces of the car… glass/wheels included.- I do this after the wash process is complete (using the decontamination soap mixture). I do this method to strip the car of contaminates, and previously laid down surface enhancers, so I have a fresh ceramic surface to work with. I then follow up with Polish Angel - 1, maybe 2 sprays per panel (a little goes a long way)

Im not saying your process is garbage or incorrect, but I feel your method has its own purpose. I would use your method if I were going on a road trip, and wanted to stop at a wash bay to give my car a good once over, so she was lookin FRESH!! Another way I would use your method would be to do a quick wash of my wheels. The only think I would change in your method is the type of detergent used; instead of the spray wash which is crazy expensive… buy one of the bottles of the gentler PH neutral soaps, and add it to your own spray bottle at a dilution ration of 1:5 (soap: distilled water).

Wheels and tires … I swear by P&S brake buster, and I also foam this product on the wheels using a hand held self pump action foamer.

The methods I listed are a great practice as they keep the properties of your ceramic at the highest levels, which allow you to reap the full benefits of easier maintenance washes each time you go through your routine. That’s why we chose to ceramic the car in the first place, so think of it as a PM service to your investment.

Let me know if you want more detailed info - but keep in mind Im no detail wizard, and Im also open minded to learning new things.

The following users liked this post:
lilbza (02-04-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 05:40 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Makes no sense. Buy straight from the company. I know BoxKing is giving different advice for ceramic coated cars, but I inquired with Griot's about using this product on coated cars and they advised that it would work very well. My personal experience has been very positive. On my 2013 Audi S6, 2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Spyder, and 2022 Audi RS5, I have been using Griot's over ceramic, and to my eyes all is well. The finish remains brilliant, the water continues to bead amazingly, dirt comes off easily and things are as reflective in the sun as the human eye can possibly appreciate for those Cars and Coffee days. Don't know what else to say, but I am always looking for new things to try and ways to improve.

The biggest takeaway from my advice, if any find it true, would be doing the decontamination wash process every say 2 months, so that you can keep your ceramic coating in its best form. Do I feel like your method cleans the car well… not so much, but it does for you, so its all good. I feel like your method spreads the contaminated matter to look even on your paints surface - instead of full removal via a better wash method. I call this “putting whipped cream on $hitttt!” Sure it may look good on the outside, but underneath it all… ehhh not so much. This would best be referred to as “layering product(s)” = no bueno!

Not to mention, I wouldnt feel comfortable using that spray on product unless I was damn near going through the entire bottle each time, as you need to create a slick surface to ensure less marring of your paint. As an alternative, I would try using ONR.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:02 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Or get a Metro Vac Master Blaster heated dryer.

ehhh.. neither my bikes nor my cars know the difference between warm and unheated air and i don't wash anything in the cold my electric blower was like $69 about 8 years ago and still does a great job. to each their own so long as the job gets done.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:50 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
ehhh.. neither my bikes nor my cars know the difference between warm and unheated air and i don't wash anything in the cold my electric blower was like $69 about 8 years ago and still does a great job. to each their own so long as the job gets done.

I dont have a preference with regards to heated vs. non heated blowers. Usually the heated versions have air filters, which may or may not have any effect pending the environment one is working in. If you need the option for filtered air, then you should change the environment you chose to wash your car in.

I focus the aim of the blower towards the cracks and crevices where water can pool bc I currently dont have an option to work with DI water (filtered), so I dont want unwanted water settling in or on the car that create water spots and rot. I give the larger painted surfaces a quick once over to remove the bulk of the water, but by no means am I chasing all the little beads to make sure the blower drys the car 100%- that’s what drying towels are for.

One of the more overlooked aspects to detailing your car is the environmental factors… Temperature, humidity levels, time of year, indoor/outdoor, direct or indirect sunlight. These factors don’t typically change what I use, but how I use them. Not all of us have the PERFECT OG GARAGE, and we sometimes find ourselves wanting to wash our cars when we’re not at our homes, so you gotta work with what you got, but in the best way.

Disclaimer… Im not a professional detailer. Ive lived and learned, both the hard way and the good - all while spending too much money on products, when Ive come to learn that Less is More.

Last edited by BoxKing; 01-18-2023 at 09:07 PM.
BudgetPlan1 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 PM
2GSDs
Racer

@Esoteric_Detail , thanks! I’ve been doing a couple of things wrong. Your videos are very helpful, especially the one for the wheels.
I did an ok job today, but next time I’ll have more tools and it will be easier.

Last edited by 2GSDs; 01-18-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Esoteric_Detail (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 11:26 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

@Esoteric_Detail , thanks! I’ve been doing a couple of things wrong. Your videos are very helpful, especially the one for the wheels.
I did an ok job today, but next time I’ll have more tools and it will be easier.
You're very welcome...glad it helped!

Feel free to reach out at any time with any questions!
Old 01-19-2023, 02:28 PM
2GSDs
Racer

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
You're very welcome...glad it helped!

Feel free to reach out at any time with any questions!
I actually have a question.

Polishangel High Gloss Paste Wax vs Kamikaze Infinity Wax?

Also, if I choose to use one of these and the car currently has a coat of Collinite 845, what would you recommend as far as prep?
Old 01-19-2023, 02:38 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

I actually have a question.

Polishangel High Gloss Paste Wax vs Kamikaze Infinity Wax?

Also, if I choose to use one of these and the car currently has a coat of Collinite 845, what would you recommend as far as prep?
Use a strip wash soap like Adams - this will remove most of the coating on your vehicle.
Use Iron X to remove embedded particulates.
Follow up with a product like Gyeon Prep... or dilute your own alcohol mixture, and wipe down all surfaces you want to coat.
Then apply your coating.

As far as paste waxes go.... I dropped using wax products, and have moved over to spray sealants many years ago. They offer better gloss, protection, and hydrophobic properties from my experiences. Not only that, they're much easier to apply vs. wax. I find most ppl who still use paste wax do so bc they enjoy this style of application, which is perfectly fine. Either way, the above paint prep should be done at the bare minimum.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:51 PM
2GSDs
Racer

@BoxKing , what is your go-to spray sealant?

Quick Reply: Car washing pro tip