Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 08:31 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
"...as there is a huge performance difference between the Cayman GTS and GT4."

HUGE? No doubt higher limits than GTS on track with an excellent driver, but I've not seen stats that show a DRAMATIC difference....
all you GT4 owners, don't get hissy....I know there is a difference, just not seeing a HUGE difference, especially for 90% of the drivers on here that likely can't push the limits of the car like a pro can......(just sayin')
Lol... yes, 12 sec delta around the ring <> "huge performance difference".
Old 01-17-2023, 08:41 PM
darosan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
anyone have a euro delivery friendly dealership referral? I am in SoCal but I would be willing to take redelivery pretty much anywhere. My understanding is that euro delivery does not come out of dealer allocation but does come with a $3k “charge” to the dealer, so perhaps that would make securing an allocation easier.
easier to get a GT3 allocation than an euro delivery
Old 01-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
well good point.....but none of us mortals could approach that delta I'm guessing.....?
But what do I know, as my wife likes to remind me often....:-)

Last edited by Big Belly 711; 01-17-2023 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
RoadrunnerGTS (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 02:48 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
I am too coming from a C7 to GTS 4.0 , how would you compare them. I am bit worried that C7 being power house will i miss the low level torque in the GTS but the GTS is 500 lbs lighter and should be more nimble.
One is a $60k car while the other is a $100k car. You’re getting better fit and finish. I remember the top on my C7 creaking and moaning and trim pieces and body panels not lining up perfectly. It sounded awesome with the NPP and had good torque down low.

The power delivery on my BGTS is more linear, almost sneaky and the redline is much higher and addictive to rev out. A good example of the power delivery is a video between the C8 and a BGTS by the Straight Pipes. I think they were surprised the GTS was essentially equally as fast as the C8, which as you know is faster than the C7. And you already know how I feel about the handling.

The following 2 users liked this post by c1pher:
baege (01-18-2023), boss2k (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:16 AM
prius_lover
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

12 seconds corresponds to a 3% longer lap time. That is completely imperceptible unless you're measuring it or racing wheel to wheel.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:29 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Good luck to the OP. I'm in the same boat....late to the party. I'm in the process of selling my 993 and just got on the list at my local dealer for $10k ADM for a Cayman GTS 4.0.. I'm #4 on the list. I doubt I'll get an allocation this year but hopefully 2024....assuming they're produced in 2024. I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get an allocation since the CGTS 4.0 is the only car I'd even consider selling my 993 for.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:21 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Manual991
Good luck to the OP. I'm in the same boat....late to the party. I'm in the process of selling my 993 and just got on the list at my local dealer for $10k ADM for a Cayman GTS 4.0.. I'm #4 on the list. I doubt I'll get an allocation this year but hopefully 2024....assuming they're produced in 2024. I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get an allocation since the CGTS 4.0 is the only car I'd even consider selling my 993 for.
If you’re willing to pay $10K ADM for a CGTS you should give the broker in the allocation thread a shout.
Big Belly 711 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:23 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

That's high praise! You will be an outcast and heretic on the air cooled board.

What about the 4.0 CGTS, in your assessment, makes it the one car that would be "good enough?"
Old 01-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Manual991
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
If you’re willing to pay $10K ADM for a CGTS you should give the broker in the allocation thread a shout.
Thanks. Yes, I read something about the broker. My 993 sale should finalize in the next couple of weeks and then I'll explore other ways to get an allocation. My deposit at the dealer is refundable so I'll start looking elsewhere once my sale if done.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:29 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
When comparing these two cars don't sell Porsche short........

Yes the Lotus Emira does have a proven high reliability 3.5L Super Charged V6 Engine producing 400+ HP built by Toyota, yet the Porsche NA 4.0L F6 Engine based on the 9A1 platform in the Cayman GTS produces 394 HP and is developing its own positive reliability history, once you get past the Connecting Rod blow up and the Water Pump leaks (but Porsche did offer an extended 10 YR warranty on both). And the Power difference is neglectable....... So this is probably a Draw between the two cars.

Then again the Lotus Emira stayed with a hydraulic Power Steering system which provides excellent Driver Feedback, to match their legendary Lotus Chassis Dynamics and Handling. While Porsche went with an Electric Steering Rack providing numbing Driver Feedback. So if you are looking for a "Fun to Drive" Sports Car mainly on the Street with some Track time.... Both are good, yet Lotus takes this one over the Cayman.

Both cars offer a 6 Speed Manual Transmission produced by a 3rd party supplier. Shift feel is very subjective so to each their own on this item. Yet some folks complain that the Porsche Transmission Gearing is Too Tall in the Mid Range (2nd, 3rd), while also too short in 6th, wanting a 7th gear. In my test drive of the Emira, I did not find this Gearing issue, and "Shift Feel" was very comparable to my BGTS 4.0L. I was driving suburb roads with 35 - 55MPH speed limits so I did not explore the Gearing in 6th, mostly 1st thru 5th. This is probably a "Toss-Up" between the two cars based on your preference.....

Now if you are a "Techie" and really want Android Auto in your Sports Car so you can display Waze or Maps on the Dash while listening to you favorite play list, then you have to go with the Lotus, as Porsche does not offer Android Auto. Both Lotus and Porsche offer Apple Car Play, yet with 71.8% of the Smart Phones being Android (2022 Global Data), Porsche has missed the boat with a majority of Smart Phone users. Lotus also takes this one over the Cayman.

Next lets explore "Looks"..... This is definitely user subjective. Some folks say the Emira has a "Super Car / Ferrari -esque" appearance, while the Cayman has a "Little Brother 911-esque" appearance. Both very well executed. It's what you prefer. I will say that if you want something exclusive the Lotus will get you this more than the Cayman. My 981 Cayman does get mistaken for a Ferrari at the Gas Station every now and then..... Yet the Emira has a Fresh new Super Car appearance in my view. Another "Toss Up" as its way too user subjective.....

The bottom line is that both of these cars (Porsche Cayman GTS and Lotus Emira) are very good and have Pro's and Con's. Many based on Driver preference and use. So don't sell either short based on one factor. Consider the whole "Package" and what you want.

Thus my original comment: If you have trouble getting a Cayman GTS..... Also look at the new Lotus Emira. It's a comparable option.

Chris Harris Emira Review
981KMAN,

I've seen a lot of YouTube reviews on the Lotus.
They were (Positive) reviews !!!
Also they were driven over thousands of miles so they were not just driven a few miles or hundred miles or so.
Also they covered a lot of different European Countries and driving conditions.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-18-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:07 PM
Manual991
Racer

Originally Posted by Adrift
That's high praise! You will be an outcast and heretic on the air cooled board.

What about the 4.0 CGTS, in your assessment, makes it the one car that would be "good enough?"
haha I already broke the air cooled code when I got a 991. I joined Rennlist when I had a 991, hence, my very imaginative user name.

My comment wasn't intended to sound like I think the CGTS is just good enough. Hopefully it didn't come across wrong. I've had CGTS 4.0 envy since they came out. 4.0 N/A motor....what's not to like? For me, it's in the sweet spot of performance and comfort. I wanted something that I can drive daily and potentially track occasionally. My 87 was a track car so being able to track has some appeal. My 993 is a bit of a garage queen so daily driving and track are out. I like that I can maintain it myself but as I get older, the less I like crawling under it. I got an offer on my car out of the blue so decided it was my last chance at a new CGTS. I've had 3 911s but have never been able to order MY car. I still might not get that chance but I want to try. The thing I didn't like about the 991 was it was too big so the 992 is out. Plus a new one would be out of my price range unless I finance which I don't want to do. I actually haven't driven a CGTS, only a GT4 but I like the smaller feel of the Cayman over the current 911.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:16 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by prius_lover
12 seconds corresponds to a 3% longer lap time. That is completely imperceptible unless you're measuring it or racing wheel to wheel.
and a lot of that difference will be due to tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by Z06jerry:
008 (01-19-2023), mc3456 (01-18-2023), Webfiero (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

haha I already broke the air cooled code when I got a 991. I joined Rennlist when I had a 991, hence, my very imaginative user name.

My comment wasn't intended to sound like I think the CGTS is just good enough. Hopefully it didn't come across wrong. I've had CGTS 4.0 envy since they came out. 4.0 N/A motor....what's not to like? For me, it's in the sweet spot of performance and comfort. I wanted something that I can drive daily and potentially track occasionally. My 87 was a track car so being able to track has some appeal. My 993 is a bit of a garage queen so daily driving and track are out. I like that I can maintain it myself but as I get older, the less I like crawling under it. I got an offer on my car out of the blue so decided it was my last chance at a new CGTS. I've had 3 911s but have never been able to order MY car. I still might not get that chance but I want to try. The thing I didn't like about the 991 was it was too big so the 992 is out. Plus a new one would be out of my price range unless I finance which I don't want to do. I actually haven't driven a CGTS, only a GT4 but I like the smaller feel of the Cayman over the current 911.
Ha, I didn't mean to imply that you were saying the CGTS is JUST good enough, but that JUST the CGTS is good enough. lol But you answered the question.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:08 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

@Manual991 reach out to @bpeacock when you are ready to really try and get an allocation. He currently has one available in Florida. He helped me secure my GT4 allocation and is incredibly easy to work with. He does ask for a small finders fee but its well worth the money if you don't want to risk missing out.
bpeacock (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:32 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Unless YOU can take it around the ring regularly at those times, and actually have the opportunity to do so, what difference does it make? So many people look at just the "fantasy stats" of a car or how it performs under perfect conditions in the hands of a professional driver. All these things are so far removed from most people's real ownership and driving experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by VVG:
Big Belly 711 (01-18-2023), mc3456 (01-18-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (01-18-2023), triode (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?