Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 10:54 PM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?

I’m finally in a position to buy my dream car, a Cayman. I’m looking at the GTS 4.0 in manual. My wife finally gave the all-clear. I’m currently driving an F87 M2 that would have to be sold.

I am hesitating because I would have to sell my M2 and there seems to be uncertainty about what’s coming next for the Cayman/718. If anyone has thoughts or advice I would appreciate it.

In normal years, I would wait until Fall for the next model year, but I’m wondering if that’s not a good idea these days with rumors of electrification etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by hoyasaxa:
bpeacock (01-15-2023), c1pher (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 11:07 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Those aren’t rumours - the next one will be electric. My advice would be to track down a gently used one, test drive it first then trade the BMW in on it. You’re late in the game for a new one. Good luck!, it is a great car and worthy of your pursuit.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:15 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Drive one first…
Old 01-15-2023, 11:27 PM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Drive one first…
I’ve driven many Cayman variants over the years. Are you suggesting I might not like the GTS?
Old 01-15-2023, 11:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

There is no uncertainty; the follow-on will be full EV in MY2025.

It appears most of the MY23 allocations have been handed out.

My dealer no longer takes names for the 718…too many currently on the list.

Start calling now; good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
bpeacock (01-15-2023), hoyasaxa (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 11:53 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

This is my second Boxster and if it’s the swan song, it’s about as good of one as you can have. I understand the hesitation going from M2 to 718, but there are quite a few converts in here. It’s a natural transition since BMW M cars are the gateway drug to Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 12:40 AM
JKen_0115
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

You may be too late to get the allocation for MY23 but calling around your local dealers or reach out to Ben as broker to get one.

I’m coming from OG M2 and my GT4 is coming in June. I was fortune enough to put the trigger last April. I was actually late in the game at that time but turned out GT4 rolled over MY23. However, the number is supper limited and lots dealers confirmed GT4/Spyder won’t be in MY24 but the regular GTS and other models. Only time will tell.

Go ahead to pursue it hard if you want to build a dream one. It should be as my opinion. Good luck and wish you can find one. I know my local dealer has one GTS arriving in the dealer hasn’t been spoken. If you’re interested, please PM me and I can bridge my SA for you. I’m in Chicagoland area.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:20 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Since you've mentioned that you've driven many Cayman variants over the years and from your original post, it sounds like you're ready to move forward. Keep in mind that you're very unlikely to be able to walk into any dealer across the nation and secure a GTS allocation let alone one at MSRP so if you're remotely interested, you need to jump on this like yesterday. The reason for this is because Porsche has said the next generation Cayman/Boxster will be EV. I think they've said the GT variants of the Cayman/Boxster may be EV as well but I'm still holding out hope that it will continue with ICE but add a gas guzzler tax or something.

Waiting until fall for the next model year will not help your search because again, it's not like buying a Camry where there's 20 silver ones to choose from on a lot. Best of luck to you. You may also want to think about using a broker to secure an allocation if you're serious about getting a Cayman GTS 4.0.
Mtnbkrlts (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:39 AM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
There is no uncertainty; the follow-on will be full EV in MY2025.

It appears most of the MY23 allocations have been handed out.

My dealer no longer takes names for the 718…too many currently on the list.

Start calling now; good luck.
Originally Posted by JKen_0115
You may be too late to get the allocation for MY23 but calling around your local dealers or reach out to Ben as broker to get one.

I’m coming from OG M2 and my GT4 is coming in June. I was fortune enough to put the trigger last April. I was actually late in the game at that time but turned out GT4 rolled over MY23. However, the number is supper limited and lots dealers confirmed GT4/Spyder won’t be in MY24 but the regular GTS and other models. Only time will tell.

Go ahead to pursue it hard if you want to build a dream one. It should be as my opinion. Good luck and wish you can find one. I know my local dealer has one GTS arriving in the dealer hasn’t been spoken. If you’re interested, please PM me and I can bridge my SA for you. I’m in Chicagoland area.
Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Since you've mentioned that you've driven many Cayman variants over the years and from your original post, it sounds like you're ready to move forward. Keep in mind that you're very unlikely to be able to walk into any dealer across the nation and secure a GTS allocation let alone one at MSRP so if you're remotely interested, you need to jump on this like yesterday. The reason for this is because Porsche has said the next generation Cayman/Boxster will be EV. I think they've said the GT variants of the Cayman/Boxster may be EV as well but I'm still holding out hope that it will continue with ICE but add a gas guzzler tax or something.

Waiting until fall for the next model year will not help your search because again, it's not like buying a Camry where there's 20 silver ones to choose from on a lot. Best of luck to you. You may also want to think about using a broker to secure an allocation if you're serious about getting a Cayman GTS 4.0.
anyone have a euro delivery friendly dealership referral? I am in SoCal but I would be willing to take redelivery pretty much anywhere. My understanding is that euro delivery does not come out of dealer allocation but does come with a $3k “charge” to the dealer, so perhaps that would make securing an allocation easier.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:17 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

Euro delivery slots are even harder to get than regular allocations. Several people here just had theirs cancelled by Porsche. I believe they’re already full for at least the rest of 2023. Unfortunately this is a take what you can get situation. Very different buying climate than even 18 months ago.

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
anyone have a euro delivery friendly dealership referral? I am in SoCal but I would be willing to take redelivery pretty much anywhere. My understanding is that euro delivery does not come out of dealer allocation but does come with a $3k “charge” to the dealer, so perhaps that would make securing an allocation easier.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 01-16-2023 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:20 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts

+1 to what's already been said. Start the process now if ordering new which it sounds like what you're planning. If buying used/cpo, etc then there will always be one available, just may not be in your exact spec that you're looking for but usually can find one that's 85% of the way there haha.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:35 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

If I were you, I'd probably talk to Ben Peacock (broker on here) and get an idea if there is even anything to be had (new car allocation wise), and go from there. Or just start dialing. As everyone is saying, if you want your own spec, go at it hard ASAP.

For clarification folks, are people hearing "all" the 4L boxster/caymans are done for '23 (and likely done period), or just the GT variants?
Old 01-16-2023, 09:01 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

Do you have a comp or OG?
Seems like you are pretty set on a GTS 4.0, but as someone who came from a 2020 M2C manual to a Cayman GTS 4.0, I would just add the caution that a 4.0 might not actually bring you more enjoyment, depending on your situation.
If you are living in an urban environment with lots of traffic and no real open roads, the M2 will likely be more fun for you to drive in that environment than a GTS 4.0.

The 4.0 needs room to breathe, you can't really appreciate the engine if you aren't able to ring it out and in a city with traffic that is tough to do. The cayman also has very high handling limits which means extracting enjoyment from the handling of the car also requires open spaces.

The M2C is much easier to enjoy in a city with traffic, it's engine can be enjoyed with simple short bursts of acceleration with lots of low end torque available and it has a playfulness in its handling which makes extracting enjoyment around curves and ramps in the city more accessible.

Anyways something else to consider, the grass is not always greener. If you are still set on a GTS 4.0, I wouldn't wait around.
The following 5 users liked this post by baege:
0-Day (01-16-2023), Alpha Ice (01-17-2023), Bearrun21 (01-16-2023), daaa nope (01-17-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 09:05 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

All info points to 718 Base/S/GTS 4.0 and GT4RS being continued for 2024, though no telling what that mix and quantity look like. It’s already the lowest production vehicle in Porsche’s lineup. Production will get split for most 718 models to Osnabruck from Zuffenhausen.

Originally Posted by Adrift

For clarification folks, are people hearing "all" the 4L boxster/caymans are done for '23 (and likely done period), or just the GT variants?
JAhmed (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:06 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
I’m finally in a position to buy my dream car, a Cayman. I’m looking at the GTS 4.0 in manual. My wife finally gave the all-clear. I’m currently driving an F87 M2 that would have to be sold.

I am hesitating because I would have to sell my M2 and there seems to be uncertainty about what’s coming next for the Cayman/718. If anyone has thoughts or advice I would appreciate it.

In normal years, I would wait until Fall for the next model year, but I’m wondering if that’s not a good idea these days with rumors of electrification etc.
Originally Posted by Adrift
If I were you, I'd probably talk to Ben Peacock (broker on here) and get an idea if there is even anything to be had (new car allocation wise), and go from there. Or just start dialing. As everyone is saying, if you want your own spec, go at it hard ASAP.

^^^Tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone. Hug you children kiss your wife and go buy the Cayman that you want. Contact Ben and see if he is able to find an allocation for you. Order the car that you want, enjoy 😉
The following 3 users liked this post by Patrick3000:
drgav2005 (01-16-2023), needmoregarage (01-16-2023), smilin (01-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?