Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 12:07 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
so you’d rather have a car that looks like a Ferrari “from a distance” lol…..
It drives very good and looks like a ferrari , thats a C7 vette for you
Old 01-17-2023, 11:26 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
I’m finally in a position to buy my dream car, a Cayman. I’m looking at the GTS 4.0 in manual. My wife finally gave the all-clear. I’m currently driving an F87 M2 that would have to be sold.

I am hesitating because I would have to sell my M2 and there seems to be uncertainty about what’s coming next for the Cayman/718. If anyone has thoughts or advice I would appreciate it.

In normal years, I would wait until Fall for the next model year, but I’m wondering if that’s not a good idea these days with rumors of electrification etc.
I won't enter a debate about when ICE 718 production will end. People say 2025 will be an EV so we still have MY 2024 to go and I don't think 2024 is sold out. I would look to order a new one and expect it to arrive in late 2023 or early 2024.
The following users liked this post:
M718R (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:59 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
I won't enter a debate about when ICE 718 production will end. People say 2025 will be an EV so we still have MY 2024 to go and I don't think 2024 is sold out. I would look to order a new one and expect it to arrive in late 2023 or early 2024.
MY23 GTS models have been in very high demand, and one could argue that the GTS is harder to get an allocation for at this current time than some of the other platforms.
OP should be looking into allocations ASAP as there should be plenty to be found right now, but one would risk the chance of seeing ADM's in the GT4/Spyder ranges the longer they wait.

Go to your local dealer(s) to get an allocation. At this point, bypass any "LIST" bc they're not followed by many dealerships - and or reach out to one of the brokers mentioned in this forum to secure your new GTS build.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:33 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Do you have a comp or OG?
Seems like you are pretty set on a GTS 4.0, but as someone who came from a 2020 M2C manual to a Cayman GTS 4.0, I would just add the caution that a 4.0 might not actually bring you more enjoyment, depending on your situation.
If you are living in an urban environment with lots of traffic and no real open roads, the M2 will likely be more fun for you to drive in that environment than a GTS 4.0.

The 4.0 needs room to breathe, you can't really appreciate the engine if you aren't able to ring it out and in a city with traffic that is tough to do. The cayman also has very high handling limits which means extracting enjoyment from the handling of the car also requires open spaces.

The M2C is much easier to enjoy in a city with traffic, it's engine can be enjoyed with simple short bursts of acceleration with lots of low end torque available and it has a playfulness in its handling which makes extracting enjoyment around curves and ramps in the city more accessible.

Anyways something else to consider, the grass is not always greener. If you are still set on a GTS 4.0, I wouldn't wait around.
Kind of seconding this. You should really try to find and drive one (or at least get a ride in one).

I'm a Porsche die-hard, I have a 718 Spyder (same motor, for the most part, as the GTS 4.0), and I love it to death.

But to someone coming from a torque-monster BMW you'll likely feel like the GTS 4.0 is slow until you get into the upper revs. My ex-wife used to own (when we were still married) an F82 M4 Comp... and when comparing it against my Cayman (that I owned at the time), I often referred to the M4 as the German Mustang. Tons of torque. Sledgehammer style explosive power. Also while well built, much less precise feeling - more sledgehammer vs. X-acto knife. If you really enjoy stomping on the GO pedal from a light and seeing the TC lights all blink like crazy (or disable TC and paint 11's everywhere) then you'd probably not enjoy the GTS as the power it puts down is a lot smoother and more linear.

Basically - they are two entirely different breeds of vehicle. Nothing wrong with either - it just comes down to what you find fun with a car.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:43 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

If it is your dream car, just get it, any way you can, within whatever may be your budgetary constraints. In terms of the driving experience, it is truly sublime. There is one aspect of it that few other cars can touch, and that is, regardless of speed, the precision wired-to-your-nervous-system feel, while still maintaining a reasonable degree of street civility.

Dream cars are never about anything practical, IMO. Get what you want, when you want, depending on what you can or want to spend.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

^^^^ OP stated in above post he has driven several Caymans through the years; so we should assume he understands the differences.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:49 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
No comparison , its a toyota engine
When comparing these two cars don't sell Porsche short........

Yes the Lotus Emira does have a proven high reliability 3.5L Super Charged V6 Engine producing 400+ HP built by Toyota, yet the Porsche NA 4.0L F6 Engine based on the 9A1 platform in the Cayman GTS produces 394 HP and is developing its own positive reliability history, once you get past the Connecting Rod blow up and the Water Pump leaks (but Porsche did offer an extended 10 YR warranty on both). And the Power difference is neglectable....... So this is probably a Draw between the two cars.

Then again the Lotus Emira stayed with a hydraulic Power Steering system which provides excellent Driver Feedback, to match their legendary Lotus Chassis Dynamics and Handling. While Porsche went with an Electric Steering Rack providing numbing Driver Feedback. So if you are looking for a "Fun to Drive" Sports Car mainly on the Street with some Track time.... Both are good, yet Lotus takes this one over the Cayman.

Both cars offer a 6 Speed Manual Transmission produced by a 3rd party supplier. Shift feel is very subjective so to each their own on this item. Yet some folks complain that the Porsche Transmission Gearing is Too Tall in the Mid Range (2nd, 3rd), while also too short in 6th, wanting a 7th gear. In my test drive of the Emira, I did not find this Gearing issue, and "Shift Feel" was very comparable to my BGTS 4.0L. I was driving suburb roads with 35 - 55MPH speed limits so I did not explore the Gearing in 6th, mostly 1st thru 5th. This is probably a "Toss-Up" between the two cars based on your preference.....

Now if you are a "Techie" and really want Android Auto in your Sports Car so you can display Waze or Maps on the Dash while listening to you favorite play list, then you have to go with the Lotus, as Porsche does not offer Android Auto. Both Lotus and Porsche offer Apple Car Play, yet with 71.8% of the Smart Phones being Android (2022 Global Data), Porsche has missed the boat with a majority of Smart Phone users. Lotus also takes this one over the Cayman.

Next lets explore "Looks"..... This is definitely user subjective. Some folks say the Emira has a "Super Car / Ferrari -esque" appearance, while the Cayman has a "Little Brother 911-esque" appearance. Both very well executed. It's what you prefer. I will say that if you want something exclusive the Lotus will get you this more than the Cayman. My 981 Cayman does get mistaken for a Ferrari at the Gas Station every now and then..... Yet the Emira has a Fresh new Super Car appearance in my view. Another "Toss Up" as its way too user subjective.....

The bottom line is that both of these cars (Porsche Cayman GTS and Lotus Emira) are very good and have Pro's and Con's. Many based on Driver preference and use. So don't sell either short based on one factor. Consider the whole "Package" and what you want.

Thus my original comment: If you have trouble getting a Cayman GTS..... Also look at the new Lotus Emira. It's a comparable option.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 01-17-2023 at 12:58 PM.
M718R (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:53 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

My F82 Comp will be traded in when my 718 arrives, and I'll never look back, or go back to driving another BMW. When I test drove a Cayman S, and GTS in 2020, they were both far more explosive feeling and more enjoyable to drive than the MCar. If there was one thing I could take with me from the M to the 718, it would be the HeadsUp Display.
The following 3 users liked this post by BoxKing:
Alpha Ice (01-17-2023), boss2k (01-17-2023), Toon902 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 04:46 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Don't believe Emira over GTS based on reviews. Limited dealer/support network, poor reliability history, non-exotic engine and average transmission.

triode (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 05:16 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

Comparing the Lotus Emira to the Cayman GT4 is not the question here, as there is a huge performance difference between the Cayman GTS and GT4.

The EVO review is looking for a GT4 Track car, which the Emira is not. For that you must look at the Lotus Emira GT4. The OP is looking at a Cayman GTS for which the Lotus Emira is a worthy competitor, and a solid option if the Cayman GTS is not available.

Let's keep this an "Apples to Apples" comparison for this discussion...... No cheating please .
Old 01-17-2023, 06:30 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Comparing the Lotus Emira to the Cayman GT4 is not the question here, as there is a huge performance difference between the Cayman GTS and GT4.

The EVO review is looking for a GT4 Track car, which the Emira is not. For that you must look at the Lotus Emira GT4. The OP is looking at a Cayman GTS for which the Lotus Emira is a worthy competitor, and a solid option if the Cayman GTS is not available.

Let's keep this an "Apples to Apples" comparison for this discussion...... No cheating please .
Did you even watch it? EVO states its not a comparison to GT4, that video is mostly a review about the Emira, not vs a GT4. There are few other review of Emira vs GTS if you search, and GTS trumps it
Old 01-17-2023, 06:45 PM
M718R
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

The Lotus Emira is a very good looking car and well proportioned. The Evora, which the Emira is based on, always drove very well and arguably better than a Cayman GTS. The Evora had its downfalls of course. However, Lotus Emira is the Cayman's most direct competition without question and, a worthy alternative. Both have their plus' and minus'. Lotus dealer network in US is not great / not comparable to Porsche.

No car guy can honestly bash the Emira. Not saying its for everyone, or Porsche level quality, but they have been around 75 years for a reason. They have unique and special driving characteristics that many enthusiast appreciate.
RoadrunnerGTS (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:50 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M718R
The Lotus Emira is a very good looking car and well proportioned. The Evora, which the Emira is based on, always drove very well and arguably better than a Cayman GTS. The Evora had its downfalls of course. However, Lotus Emira is the Cayman's most direct competition without question and, a worthy alternative. Both have their plus' and minus'. Lotus dealer network in US is not great / not comparable to Porsche.

No car guy can honestly bash the Emira. Not saying its for everyone, or Porsche level quality, but they have been around 75 years for a reason. They have unique and special driving characteristics that many enthusiast appreciate.
Agreed. If I couldn't get a 718, then Emira would be my next choice, but I'd be very wary re quality and reliability.
M718R (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:16 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Did I miss where the OP asked about a Lotus?
Old 01-17-2023, 07:40 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

"...as there is a huge performance difference between the Cayman GTS and GT4."

HUGE? No doubt higher limits than GTS on track with an excellent driver, but I've not seen stats that show a DRAMATIC difference....
all you GT4 owners, don't get hissy....I know there is a difference, just not seeing a HUGE difference, especially for 90% of the drivers on here that likely can't push the limits of the car like a pro can......(just sayin')

triode (01-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Cayman has been my dream car; finally in a position to buy a GTS 4.0, is it bad time?