Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 05:56 PM
Andrewpiper
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucketlistx911

the GT 3 and GT 4 are very very different cars. Love them both and drive them for different experience. The GT 3 is a performance monster. The engine is a high revving powerful beast. Mine is fitted with the PDK. Running that car through a series of curves and accelerating sections of road is exhilarating. The GT 4 is manual and tons of fun to play with on the right road. Enjoy the sport car dynamic of steering and shifting gears. Here is a real a:b comparison. On a back call it country road posted 45 mph, curve ahead sign 30 mph. Ok in the GT 4 smile and select second and pull that corner at 50-55, great fun. Ok take that same corner in the GT 3, look down and you peg 60-65 and that car whispers you are a wimp if that is all you ask……..the GT 3 is magic, the front end is unbelievable. The differences on track are well documented, a good driver in a GT 4 can be right with a 911 and faster than many drivers. The biggest difference is cost, a GT 4 at $125k, a GT 3 at market $250k. The real value difference is not 2x but that is todays market. I would advise start with the GT 4 if economics matter. gosh I love them both and it is a dilemma sometimes, which one to drive today?
The above has to be the best reply in my opinion. So, to you sir I award you the chocolate bar/Snickers (or what ever the chocolate treat is over there..lol)

I have no interest in the 992 in any variant. It was only ever the 991.2 (I note you have a 992 photographed) but I dear say they are close stable mates.
My car is a bit of a garage queen and driven when I have been a good boy and done "all" my jobs ...lol.
Would I love 500hp..Hell yes. Is 414 insufficient..Hell no!!
Interior basically the same through the variants apart from the chairs so no real gains there.
So I guess it comes down to experience and how does it make me feel..?
Clearly I can only comment on the 4 as that's what is in my garage currently.. cosseted under it's velvet curtains blanket lovingly built by my darling partner.
Its a stellar ride on every day of the week and gets plenty of looks (unintended) from passers by. But I dear say that is the same for all exotic cars of any marque.
The 3 is obviously a lot more money invested but in these times of nutsville a well thought out purchase seems to hold it's value.. so maybe it's not such a bad idea after all..
Food for thought.

Thanks to everyone who has added to the thread. Makes for interesting reading.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:47 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by YMGT4
This is my same exact feeling. I ruined the GT4 for the street trying to make it go faster on track. The GT3 just does everything well stock- first car I didn't want/need to modify.
Well. This depends on the mods and your intentions (ie.. im not trying to go faster on the track but rather fix the obvious shortcomings that we all know and discuss here all day long)... With the right exhaust drone can be significantly reduced and sound enhanced (insert obvious vendor here). With the right suspension mod (ie coilovers - insert obvious vendor here) and proper alignment the GT4 can be MORE compliant on the street AND better on the track as the total vagueness is gone and replaced with more predictability. Ive done it so I know it possible to have a better car in the important respects than what the factory gives you - particularly with the GT4/Spyder and not ruin the car one bit. It takes some money and the right information but its totally doable and well worth the effort.

Last edited by dnimi123; 12-30-2022 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (12-31-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 10:17 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Well. This depends on the mods and your intentions (ie.. im not trying to go faster on the track but rather fix the obvious shortcomings that we all know and discuss here all day long)... With the right exhaust drone can be significantly reduced and sound enhanced (insert obvious vendor here). With the right suspension mod (ie coilovers - insert obvious vendor here) and proper alignment the GT4 can be MORE compliant on the street AND better on the track as the total vagueness is gone and replaced with more predictability. Ive done it so I know it possible to have a better car in the important respects than what the factory gives you - particularly with the GT4/Spyder and not ruin the car one bit. It takes some money and the right information but its totally doable and well worth the effort.
I do not spend any time on the GT3 subforum . . . to be honest, I have never seen a GT3 on the road in my life. Porsche showroom is the closest I have ever come, then I quickly step away when I see the sticker prices.

At any rate, just curious if the GT3 subforum is like the GT4 subforum . . . GT3 enthusiasts taking the pinnacle of the 911 lineup and always looking for ways to make them ‘better’?

Avera
The following 2 users liked this post by Avera:
dnimi123 (12-30-2022), MechEngr1287 (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 11:20 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
I do not spend any time on the GT3 subforum . . . to be honest, I have never seen a GT3 on the road in my life. Porsche showroom is the closest I have ever come, then I quickly step away when I see the sticker prices.

At any rate, just curious if the GT3 subforum is like the GT4 subforum . . . GT3 enthusiasts taking the pinnacle of the 911 lineup and always looking for ways to make them ‘better’?

Avera
Go take a look! But the Short Answer is yes... most everyone at all levels of Porsche Forum participants are looking for ways to improve their cars including the 992 GT3. Maybe one wouldnt mod a Carrera GT or a 918 Spyder but almost everything else including GT2RS are getting some treatments. Could be wheels, exhaust, suspension, intake plenums, turbo replacements, intercoolers, radiators, seats, roll cages... you name it people are doing it to ALL these cars. Even Clubsports get modified and the shop that did my suspension has a highly modified 991.2 GT3RS and its bonkers. There maybe an exception coming out though and that is the 992GT3RS as the cleaning lady has told me that Porsche wanted to have one car that they 'threw the kitchen sink' at. The dampers on that car are highly adjustable from the steering wheel as far as compression and rebound so its unlikely that someone would gut that suspension for something aftermarket. Knowing what I know now, as this was my first Pcar, I realize what you get from even from the Porsche GT division is sill a compromise and for me was just a starting point.
Larry Cable (12-31-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 11:55 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Does Manthey sell 918 upgrade parts? lol I assume so.
jimdillard (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 04:49 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Does Manthey sell 918 upgrade parts? lol I assume so.
They do for Carrera GT, in conjunction with KW.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:41 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Question What about the GT3 (TOURING) ???

Guys,

What about the GT3 (TOURING) ???

Terry
jimdillard (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 03:02 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a 991.1 GT3, I wanted a GT manual car. I went and drove the GT4 at PECATL and fell in love with the size and feel of it. It does feel down on power after the GT3. I wanted to order a new GT car and I'm basically a nobody and will not ever get a GT3 allocation nor am I able to pay 100k over ADM. I did PTS and CXX on my GT4 order. For what I'm paying (NO ADM) I could have bought a used manual 991.2 GT3, but it wouldn't be something I built. I think in general, both cars drive great. It took some time to get over the whole "It's not a 911" that gets spewed constantly. It's still a great car. I will miss the wail of 9k rpm but I'm going to most likely do the DeMan conversion to make up for the lack of power. Some people do not want to modify their cars, or get scared of doing it etc. I've never left anything stock and at some point the warranty will always be up. I think you should just get what makes you happy. I think GT4 to GT3 is a great decision or if you're happier in a GT4 and like the things about it more, don't let the stupid "it's not a 911 herp derp" keep you away.
The following 8 users liked this post by GTJake:
Bearrun21 (12-31-2022), DFW01TT (01-01-2023), fxmixer (01-06-2023), jimdillard (12-31-2022), Larry Cable (12-31-2022), needmoregarage (12-31-2022), tigerhonaker (01-01-2023), welikethetrack (01-06-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

For me “better” is situational, and thus varies based on street vs. track. I am actually selling my 981 Spyder because it’s too much car for maximal street enjoyment at least where I live. I’ve settled on a 993 as my ideal street car. For track, I sold my amazing 981 Cayman S track car to go to a 996 GT3 Cup car with the goal to move to newer/faster Cup cars one day as budget allows. The Cup car is way better than my 981 Spyder and by correlation the 981 GT4. And 16 years old at that! On track, I want fastest, on street I want most emotionally involving.
JAhmed (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 06:24 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJake
I had a 991.1 GT3, I wanted a GT manual car. I went and drove the GT4 at PECATL and fell in love with the size and feel of it. It does feel down on power after the GT3. I wanted to order a new GT car and I'm basically a nobody and will not ever get a GT3 allocation nor am I able to pay 100k over ADM. I did PTS and CXX on my GT4 order. For what I'm paying (NO ADM) I could have bought a used manual 991.2 GT3, but it wouldn't be something I built. I think in general, both cars drive great. It took some time to get over the whole "It's not a 911" that gets spewed constantly. It's still a great car. I will miss the wail of 9k rpm but I'm going to most likely do the DeMan conversion to make up for the lack of power. Some people do not want to modify their cars, or get scared of doing it etc. I've never left anything stock and at some point the warranty will always be up. I think you should just get what makes you happy. I think GT4 to GT3 is a great decision or if you're happier in a GT4 and like the things about it more, don't let the stupid "it's not a 911 herp derp" keep you away.
Jake...FWIW...I went from a 991.2 911 Turbo S (PDK) to a 718 Spyder (6MT). And I couldn't be happier with my Spyder. SO much fun to drive! Not that the 911 Turbo S wasn't fun...but my Spyder is a DIFFERENT KIND OF FUN...and I'm so happy to have the 6MT with AUTO-BLIP. Makes a crappy heel-to-toe shifter like myself sound like a perfectionist.

Please feel free to laugh...I'm on the GT3 Touring waiting list at our local dealer...not because I "have" to own one...but because I think it's be a lot of fun with the 6MT as well. The fact of the matter is I will likely die of old age before I ever see an allocation, and ESPECIALLY the PTS allocation I want. But it keeps me busy on the Configurator...and on the PCA web site studying all the classic old Porsche exterior colors.
tigerhonaker (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 06:53 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Jake...FWIW...I went from a 991.2 911 Turbo S (PDK) to a 718 Spyder (6MT). And I couldn't be happier with my Spyder. SO much fun to drive! Not that the 911 Turbo S wasn't fun...but my Spyder is a DIFFERENT KIND OF FUN...and I'm so happy to have the 6MT with AUTO-BLIP. Makes a crappy heel-to-toe shifter like myself sound like a perfectionist.

Please feel free to laugh...I'm on the GT3 Touring waiting list at our local dealer...not because I "have" to own one...but because I think it's be a lot of fun with the 6MT as well. The fact of the matter is I will likely die of old age before I ever see an allocation, and ESPECIALLY the PTS allocation I want. But it keeps me busy on the Configurator...and on the PCA web site studying all the classic old Porsche exterior colors.
I had them leave me on the GT3 list at our local dealer. Juuuuust in case ha, but I don't see it happening either. It's good to hear you are enjoying the Spyder. I'm still keeping my eye out for an older 911 manual car at some point if I don't get another GT3. The configurator is definitely fun to play in. We did a lot of CXX options on the interior of my GT4 so I can't wait for it to get built. I'll probably start a build thread on it soon. I have a Mustang that is putting down over 1k at the tire and it's honestly worthless to enjoy other than going in a straight line so I'm hoping I've got that big power want out of my system now that I've experienced that car and how I'd rather have grabbed the keys to my GT3 any day over my Mustang. I just hate the waiting at this point for the GT4 to get built.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTJake:
jimdillard (12-31-2022), tigerhonaker (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 07:07 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

I had them leave me on the GT3 list at our local dealer. Juuuuust in case ha, but I don't see it happening either. It's good to hear you are enjoying the Spyder. I'm still keeping my eye out for an older 911 manual car at some point if I don't get another GT3. The configurator is definitely fun to play in. We did a lot of CXX options on the interior of my GT4 so I can't wait for it to get built. I'll probably start a build thread on it soon. I have a Mustang that is putting down over 1k at the tire and it's honestly worthless to enjoy other than going in a straight line so I'm hoping I've got that big power want out of my system now that I've experienced that car and how I'd rather have grabbed the keys to my GT3 any day over my Mustang. I just hate the waiting at this point for the GT4 to get built.
Looking forward to seeing your GT4! When is it projected to be built/delivered? Are you working with Porsche of Nashville? Please post your Porsche Code when you get a moment.

I received my Spyder allocation March 11, 2022 with a June 2022 build date. The car was delivered mid-August. I consider myself very fortunate to have it after all the horror stories I've heard of others trying to get a Spyder and/or GT4 allocation. I didn't do any CXX stuff, however I did add a lot of options. The only item I couldn't get was PCCB's given the STOP ORDER Porsche AG had in place when I got my allocation. That said, the Spyder steel brakes work SUPERBLY. And installing Hawk PERFORMANCE Ceramic Pads solved the notorious brake dust problem.
tigerhonaker (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 07:21 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 249 Posts

I sold my 981 GT4, will be moving to a GT3. So I guess I can give some feedback in 6 months

Nothing wrong with the 981 per se and I absolutely loved the car, however I found the way the power died over 7k a bit unsatisfying. The 718 changes that, but having spent quite a lot of time on track in one didn't feel like a big enough upgrade. Really I want the GT3 for the engine, although personally I think the best subjective handling car for 'me' is something front engine / RWD like an M3 (36/46/92) . You can really dance M cars, and they are much more forgiving on the limit than the Cayman. Personally I think when people say the GT4 is 'easy' to drive they clearly haven't got it on the limit. Not expecting that level of chassis balance in the GT3 but lets see.
The following 3 users liked this post by Montaver:
dnimi123 (01-06-2023), jimdillard (12-31-2022), TDT (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 09:00 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Looking forward to seeing your GT4! When is it projected to be built/delivered? Are you working with Porsche of Nashville? Please post your Porsche Code when you get a moment.

I received my Spyder allocation March 11, 2022 with a June 2022 build date. The car was delivered mid-August. I consider myself very fortunate to have it after all the horror stories I've heard of others trying to get a Spyder and/or GT4 allocation. I didn't do any CXX stuff, however I did add a lot of options. The only item I couldn't get was PCCB's given the STOP ORDER Porsche AG had in place when I got my allocation. That said, the Spyder steel brakes work SUPERBLY. And installing Hawk PERFORMANCE Ceramic Pads solved the notorious brake dust problem.
Ha, I just realized I saw you're in Franklin. I technically live in Nolensville but nobody knows where that is so I just put Nashville as my location. I am working with Porsche of Nashville. I'm lucky that everything I wanted was available. The PDLS LED had JUST come back on the configuration options right before we submitted my order and that was the only thing I wanted that originally we couldn't get. We're waiting on an official build week right now but I believe it's an April allocation for pickup in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. We're working with Porsche AG on summer delivery so I can make it over to the Alps. I'm honestly not sure I have a build code that's accurate now since the CXX guy made some changes after the build due to some confusion on the yellow stitching. Essentially I did LWB, Ceramics, PDLS LED, PTS Rubystar, Satin Aurum Wheels, Black calipers, Leather everywhere with yellow stitching. I'm keeping the interior under wraps until it arrives. It will definitely be a 1 of 1 car. I'm usually out and about at Porsche events or the Euro Cars and Coffee when I had my GT3. Hopefully we can run into one another
The following 3 users liked this post by GTJake:
fxmixer (01-06-2023), jimdillard (01-01-2023), tigerhonaker (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 01:29 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Ha, I just realized I saw you're in Franklin.
I technically live in Nolensville but nobody knows where that is so I just put Nashville as my location.
I am working with Porsche of Nashville. I'm lucky that everything I wanted was available. The PDLS LED had JUST come back on the configuration options right before we submitted my order and that was the only thing I wanted that originally we couldn't get. We're waiting on an official build week right now but I believe it's an April allocation for pickup in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. We're working with Porsche AG on summer delivery so I can make it over to the Alps. I'm honestly not sure I have a build code that's accurate now since the CXX guy made some changes after the build due to some confusion on the yellow stitching. Essentially I did LWB, Ceramics, PDLS LED, PTS Rubystar, Satin Aurum Wheels, Black calipers, Leather everywhere with yellow stitching. I'm keeping the interior under wraps until it arrives. It will definitely be a 1 of 1 car. I'm usually out and about at Porsche events or the Euro Cars and Coffee when I had my GT3. Hopefully we can run into one another
Hi Jake,

I also live in Franklin, TN. but many times I just say Nashville as the majority of people know it instantly.

My SA was Matt Giorgio and Jim Dillard was working with Mark Majors at PON.

I do have the Racing Yellow stitching and love it.

Maybe ???
Once you take delivery Jim, You & I can do the Cars & Coffee at Jim Dillard's development.
Some very nice machines show-up at it.

Nice meeting you,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-01-2023 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
GTJake (01-02-2023), jimdillard (01-01-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 to GT3