Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Power - how much is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 12:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I feel that 400-440 is the sweet-spot for the GTS chassis. The area lacking pre-tune was straight line acceleration. This is resolved post stage 2, however slightly more eager to leg go at the rear, but still in a very manageable manner.

Re the RS, different chassis and likely 500HP is a good match. Only been in the passenger seat of an RS, so can't really comment. I would think the GT4RS is easier than a GT3 on the limit. Also, NA cars are far more predictable vs forced induction.
Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The 4RS is about perfect.
If you like your Spyder, do not drive an RS. Heck, if you like your GT3, do not drive the 4RS!!
I was afraid that I might hear something like this...
Old 12-20-2022, 12:52 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Adrift
Took the mean green machine for a spin yesterday, and was once again impressed with the grunt this car has. That 414 HP will flat out getty-up. Like most here, I lust after an RS variant, with the extra (approx 80) HP and 9k redline, but is that really "needed?" As a 4rs owner pointed out, a gt4 / spyder / gts, you can usually mash the accelerator and although it can squirm (especially if on uneven surface or in a corner), it usually stays reasonably hooked up. 4rs power, however, needs to be more carefully administered, as it can and will bite you more readily (even though it is hardly a torque monster, like the turbo engines out there). These are hardly momentum cars, by any stretch, and will already circle most tracks at a seriously impressive pace.

So, how much power is enough? Is the 4L we have in our cars the "sweet spot" for power? Ample, but not dangerous / extreme? Good for both street and track?

(Yes, I know this is personal preference, but has practical aspects, so worth a chat, IMO).
Adrift,

From the many YouTube videos I have viewed all of them talk about inside cabin being LOUD !!!
Some mention don't bother ordering an upgraded audio system because you cannot hear it.
Plus, it is not like my GT4 that you can see out the rear side windows as the RS has those closed-off with the addition of the Air-Intakes.
Point being, driving on the street is Hampered ^^^

Something else that comes to me in watching and reading about GT3 owners that also have the GT4.
They like daily driving the GT4 because as you mentioned above you can Nail-the-Throttle as much and as frequently as you like.
The GT4 in comparison to the GT3 & RS on the street is much more livable and certainly much more fun as it can be driven Wide-Open.

Last comments,
However, who really would be purchasing the GT4RS for actually Street Use or as a DD ???
My opinion is not but a Very-very small percentage of people.
And those that do ..............
More than likely take it to the local Cars & Coffee and possibly Local-Car-Events.
Honestly when we look at what the majority of people paid for the RS it's a Rich-Guys TOY !!!

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
jimdillard (12-20-2022), Ken in San Diego (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:07 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Honestly when we look at what the majority of people paid for the RS it's a Rich-Guys TOY !!!
All of these cars are "rich people" toys. Otherwise we'd be driving civics and kias.
The following users liked this post:
FRIZ (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 46 Posts

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. It'll also eat tires and possibly kill you. Or at least get your license revoked. lol

I had a 996tt in a former life, so I am familiar with significant torque, but that is "handled" by AWD, and so a very different experience.
I tend to agree with this.

I have a Spyder and find it near perfect for street use. All of the power is available and can be used absent fear of losing the car. And its no slouch by any standard.

I also have a 1,050 rwhp street rod powered by a Procharged 454LSX platform. It will paint the street from a 35mph roll. It doesn't fully hookup on the street using Mickey Thompson 315 street slicks until 85 mph. There is no way you can open it up in a sweeping turn. It takes plenty of respect and skill to drive it at wide open throttle.
The following 2 users liked this post by QWKFLAT6:
jimdillard (12-20-2022), SpeedySpidey (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:37 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Power is always the last thing. There is a tennis analogy - what six things does the ball need to do? In order of importance:
Over
In
Deep
Direction
Spin
...and finally Power. If you dont do the first 5 really well it aint gonna matter how much power you got as you are still gonna lose! I am excited that at some point Ill drive an RS and see for myself if the rest of the car lives up to the engine, but I dont think it will, unfortunately.
The following 3 users liked this post by dnimi123:
BoxKing (12-20-2022), ISPYA718 (12-20-2022), Mcx (12-21-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:41 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

The GT3 engine in the GT4RS is obviously a huge selling point - but I think I would care more about the sound, as opposed to the power.

These cars have plenty of oomph for me. 80 BHP is likely very noticeable, but might not transcend the experience overall. The sound, though...that's on another level.

My Spyder is plenty quick, but was anemic in the sound department - that was made better by my Kline exhaust, but it's definitely annoying I had to spend what I did to "fix" it. Porsche can clearly make cars sound awesome from the factory, not sure why our GT4s / Spyders got the shaft on that front.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmboone25:
josephr25 (12-20-2022), Mcx (12-21-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:46 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

IMO, its intentional by Porsche, to a certain extent. First, they are trying to hit a price point with our cars, and secondly, they need to save some halo features for the top models. The addition of GPFs obviously was a pricey challenge to surmount.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:55 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKFLAT6

I have a Spyder and find it near perfect for street use. All of the power is available and can be used absent fear of losing the car. And its no slouch by any standard.

I also have a 1,050 rwhp street rod powered by a Procharged 454LSX platform. It will paint the street from a 35mph roll. It doesn't fully hookup on the street using Mickey Thompson 315 street slicks until 85 mph. There is no way you can open it up in a sweeping turn. It takes plenty of respect and skill to drive it at wide open throttle.
Fully agree on the Spyder. Works great for my likes, especially with its SUPERB 6-speed manual and tremendous sound. I had a 991.2 911 Turbo S and put the fear of God in myself on a few occasions by underestimating the car's raw power despite the AWD.
tigerhonaker (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 02:05 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is one metric, do you have to modulate the throttle exiting most corners on track?

Along the same lines...
Is T3 on Thunderbolt flat? T12? T2 on Lightning? The esses at the glen? The Kink at Daytona? The esses at Rd Atl? T7 or T13 at Rd America? Do you brake for T10 at WGI? Does the Paul Newman straight at Lime Rock feel straight?
The following 2 users liked this post by Wheelman_99:
burnergt4 (12-20-2022), enduro (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 02:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

IMO, its intentional by Porsche, to a certain extent. First, they are trying to hit a price point with our cars, and secondly, they need to save some halo features for the top models. The addition of GPFs obviously was a pricey challenge to surmount.
I too think they gave the car the sound signature it has on purpose. They made the 981 sound good, but the 982 they made sound different (and yes I know the muffler is different because of the aero). There's no way they were going to give it a big 4.0L engine with no turbo, *and* make it sound good lol - that's too much infringement on the top dog. I am sure there was a way they could've blended the banks in that stock box. Nevertheless, systems like Kline show that you can have OEM quality tone and dampening that fits in the undercarriage.

On topic, the butt dyno has noticed a bit of difference with the uncorked OAP.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
The GT3 engine in the GT4RS is obviously a huge selling point - but I think I would care more about the sound, as opposed to the power.

These cars have plenty of oomph for me. 80 BHP is likely very noticeable, but might not transcend the experience overall. The sound, though...that's on another level.

My Spyder is plenty quick, but was anemic in the sound department - that was made better by my Kline exhaust, but it's definitely annoying I had to spend what I did to "fix" it. Porsche can clearly make cars sound awesome from the factory, not sure why our GT4s / Spyders got the shaft on that front.
They have to meet sound/noise regulations. Not every country is as lax as the US in this regard. Were they supposed to redesign it for the few that complain? What about the rest that think its just fine? That's where modding comes into play.
jimdillard (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 02:34 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKFLAT6

Pics of your street rod please!
Old 12-20-2022, 02:52 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
Based on current emissions and safety standards, the sweet spot IMO is 500bhp NA with a close ratio 6MT.

I'll rather take more responsive gears shifting coupled with a much much lower top speed at 250km/h instead of theoretical top speed that can never be legally used unless you live in Germany.

I'm going to ruffle feathers here, the 6MT in both the GT4 and GT3 Touring are just too tall.
My Z06 does exactly that..

tigerhonaker (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 02:55 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
They have to meet sound/noise regulations. Not every country is as lax as the US in this regard. Were they supposed to redesign it for the few that complain? What about the rest that think its just fine? That's where modding comes into play.
I understand your point, but it appears that those restrictions are applied at different levels, depending on the car. Other cars within the Porsche lineup don't seem to have the same issue, hence my original comment.
UncleDude (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 03:32 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The S2000 makes a fun track car.
True
But
A supercharged S2000 with over 500hp and properly set up makes for an even more fun experience. Ask me how I know!
All to say - how much is enough? That all depends on what your perspective is...
nineball (12-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Power - how much is enough?