Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Upgrading LED PDLS from Bixenon after delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 12:58 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Upgrading LED PDLS from Bixenon after delivery

Frankly, I am not sure who is exactly in charge with shutting down threads and moving comments to related threads. But this is a new and totally valid topic which should not have been shut down!

The new PDLS LEDs (not the PDLS+ LEDs) are a totally new part due to supply chain issues. No one can possibly know yet if the BiXenon PDLS that are currently shipping (happened with my Spyder that is on the way) could easily, or not easily, be replaced with these new LED PDLS lights. As far as I know, these new LED PDLS function EXACTLY the same as the BiXenon PDLS lights.

Again, really frustrating watching things on this board sometimes and how threads are thrown around and combined with other threads.

These comments were just posted below by another person which are totally valid and should have not been shut down or moved to another thread:

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrading LED PDLS from Bixenon after delivery? Makes sense?Hello Guys,

I searched in other topics but I dind't find any answer to my question.

I have just received my new 718 spyder with bixen PDLS lights.

When I specd my car I have asked for PDLS+ (LED) but SA told me no way, cause of components shortage. After a few days my order locked, Bam!! Not only PDLS+LED became available again but also normal PDLS LED.

So i was wondering: Is it possible to remove the bixeon PDLS and install LED pdls? And if the answer is yes, which would be the best way to do it considering a new car still at the dealer at the moment? Ask them to provide me a quotation for it or directly ask them to change it as on warranty?

What are your suggestions?

PS: Hope this thread has not been covered yet, if so, please link it down below so I will close this one.

thanks guys
Regards!
Old 12-16-2022, 06:50 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 752 Posts

A prior post suggests that the harness is an issue, even disregarding the windshield camera. If it's plug and play, I'd go for it as well, but I doubt. Not so much bc of the looks (I don't care) but function. The xenons are just horrible, borderline dangerous. It should not be used in a car at this price bracket and with far safer options available.

Upgrading the lamps and ballasts from 25 to 35w has been done before. I'm considering changing the D3S lamps to LEDs, lots of those for sale. I'm not sure if the ballasts also need replacement as the LED consume around 38W. The appearance will be the same but there should be an improvement in function.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:14 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Upgrading the lamps and ballasts from 25 to 35w has been done before. I'm considering changing the D3S lamps to LEDs, lots of those for sale. I'm not sure if the ballasts also need replacement as the LED consume around 38W. The appearance will be the same but there should be an improvement in function.
I've done the 35W upgrade on both my old 981 and my 718 and—ho boy—is it nice to not be driving at night with the equivalent of a couple of handheld flashlights taped to the front wings. Totally agree with you that the stock 25W bulbs are woefully inadequate.
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (12-19-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 10:39 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't know how different the 718 base Xenons are to the 981 GT4's, but the 981 base lights were fine. My PDLS+ LED in the 718 are better sure, but it's not like the base lights are 1985 Halogens on an f350 bad.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:42 AM
bosha1987
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Frankly, I am not sure who is exactly in charge with shutting down threads and moving comments to related threads. But this is a new and totally valid topic which should not have been shut down!

The new PDLS LEDs (not the PDLS+ LEDs) are a totally new part due to supply chain issues. No one can possibly know yet if the BiXenon PDLS that are currently shipping (happened with my Spyder that is on the way) could easily, or not easily, be replaced with these new LED PDLS lights. As far as I know, these new LED PDLS function EXACTLY the same as the BiXenon PDLS lights.

Again, really frustrating watching things on this board sometimes and how threads are thrown around and combined with other threads.

These comments were just posted below by another person which are totally valid and should have not been shut down or moved to another thread:

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrading LED PDLS from Bixenon after delivery? Makes sense?Hello Guys,

I searched in other topics but I dind't find any answer to my question.

I have just received my new 718 spyder with bixen PDLS lights.

When I specd my car I have asked for PDLS+ (LED) but SA told me no way, cause of components shortage. After a few days my order locked, Bam!! Not only PDLS+LED became available again but also normal PDLS LED.

So i was wondering: Is it possible to remove the bixeon PDLS and install LED pdls? And if the answer is yes, which would be the best way to do it considering a new car still at the dealer at the moment? Ask them to provide me a quotation for it or directly ask them to change it as on warranty?

What are your suggestions?

PS: Hope this thread has not been covered yet, if so, please link it down below so I will close this one.

thanks guys
Regards!

Thanks ken for understanding my question and the thing that pdls led is a brand new product which, at the moment, nobody has given an answer regarding its compability with bixenon pdls.
I will ask to my Porsche center and come back to you and let you know what they tell me about this thing.

​​​​​​MB
Ken in San Diego (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 12:31 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by bosha1987
Thanks ken for understanding my question and the thing that pdls led is a brand new product which, at the moment, nobody has given an answer regarding its compability with bixenon pdls.
I will ask to my Porsche center and come back to you and let you know what they tell me about this thing.

​​​​​​MB
You asked a great question and looking forward to finding out.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:54 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m looking forward to finding out more on this too. My GT4RS locked about a month after LEDs were dropped, had the base Xenons on my 718 GT4 and they were awful on the dark country roads near my house.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:58 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGT4
I’m looking forward to finding out more on this too. My GT4RS locked about a month after LEDs were dropped, had the base Xenons on my 718 GT4 and they were awful on the dark country roads near my house.
From what I understand, the PDLS Xenons are a bit brighter than the base Xenons. But for sure, everyone says the LED PDLS is best.

Yeah, since my LED PDLS+ were dropped, I was initially bummed. However, after looking closer at the PDLS Xenons, I have come to like their design a lot. Seems to match the curves and shape of the Spyder better than the LEDs. HOWEVER, everyone seems to 1) like the additional brightness of the LEDS, and 2) the four point lights match the car's rear lights better too. So, clearly some trade offs (life is never perfect).
MrFunk (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:06 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
From what I understand, the PDLS Xenons are a bit brighter than the base Xenons. But for sure, everyone says the LED PDLS is best.

Yeah, since my LED PDLS+ were dropped, I was initially bummed. However, after looking closer at the PDLS Xenons, I have come to like their design a lot. Seems to match the curves and shape of the Spyder better than the LEDs. HOWEVER, everyone seems to 1) like the additional brightness of the LEDS, and 2) the four point lights match the car's rear lights better too. So, clearly some trade offs (life is never perfect).
base xenons have 25 watt bulbs. Xenon with PDLS are 35 watt.

Last edited by absame; 12-17-2022 at 03:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by absame:
Jonathan_987 (12-17-2022), Ken in San Diego (12-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Upgrading LED PDLS from Bixenon after delivery