Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New Spyder Owner - Any tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 08:41 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I usually refrain from making any such comment, but this is quite possibly the most obnoxious post I have ever read. A new owner chimes in and wants some info and this is your response? Unbelievable!!
I am offended that you are offended.
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 12:58 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
I usually refrain from making any such comment, but this is quite possibly the most obnoxious post I have ever read. A new owner chimes in and wants some info and this is your response? Unbelievable!!
yep. Spot on. In fact, beyond obnoxious. Rude and snobbish.

this board and these threads are literally set up for the exchange of information and to ask/answer questions.

no one is forced to read or answer anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken in San Diego:
c1pher (12-20-2022), VVG (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:00 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by c1pher
I am offended that you are offended.
Im offended that your offended by his offense.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:33 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

I've learned some things here due to this thread. After 2200 miles and 5 months this is my take. The full PPF and ceramic coating has been amazing and has allowed me to drive with peace of mind the Shark Blue paint is protected. Texas has bad roads with chip seal overlay which is a paint and windshield killer. The PPF is holding up great. Still looks perfect today and easy to keep clean. Hanging with stock exhaust and plan to keep it that way, I guess I am done with loud exhaust. I may track a few times a year, but keeping the factory setup as is. So far just enjoying the German engineering as is, but plan to do the following after much feedback and research. A few on here have mentioned some of these already. On order is the cargraphic valve control unit, BMC air filters and recliner brackets for the LWB. The cargraphic valve control unit so keep the exhaust valves fully open all the time (seems to be an inexpensive mod for a quality sound upgrade without replacing the factory exhaust, the BMC air filters is a harmless upgrade that allows the car to breathe better and to increase the induction sound some (which I like) and I love the LWB, but they do need to recline about 1" for comfort (I have these on my other Porsche that has LWB and they are awesome).

Last edited by Runner; 12-20-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:52 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Interesting point about PPF. So many folks here recommend it. As you have it on your car, and you don't recommend it. Is it the XPEL brand? I have my new Spyder coming next month, but with XPEL and ceramic coating, I am looking at about $8k. It's a lot of money.
I really don't think you need to do the whole car. I skipped the doors, rear fenders, most of the rear bumper and rear deck lid. I did Ceramic the whole car. $4300 for that using XPel Ultimate and Ceramic Pro, including full paint correction prior to application.

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Im leaning towards the same train of thought as you. My current car has a 1/3 PPF, and my OCD self could spot the difference from where the PPF was laid.......
I think there are many of us that are quite OCD about our cars, and I am no exception. I think how PPF looks on body panels vs unwrapped panels is highly color and ambient light dependent. White cars with indoor lighting are the worst. My GT Silver Spyder is about 50% wrapped....full hood, front bumper, front fenders, full rocker panels/lower side panel, and rear bumper just behind the wheels. I used XPel Ultimate. Then ceramic on the whole car. I really can not tell without touching what is wrapped and what is not. Maybe the Ceramic on the whole car makes a difference? The installation makes a huge difference also in terms of how the edges and body lines are managed.

Last edited by VVG; 12-20-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:33 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

I think the clarity on PPF has dramatically improved over time. You sometimes see waviness in some installs if the person doing the work wasn’t as particular in inspecting how the film looked prior to laying it down.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I think the clarity on PPF has dramatically improved over time. You sometimes see waviness in some installs if the person doing the work wasn’t as particular in inspecting how the film looked prior to laying it down.
Quality has improved immensely over the past years, but I would say that it is the surface smoothness of the film that makes the most difference. Clarity would be near impossible for the installer to check, especially before installation, there is a backing film in place to protect the adhesive and I doubt they pull a length off the roll hang it up and inspect it before pattern cutting or installation.

Film is never perfect, anyone expecting it to be will be disappointed.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

With a good installer, it's pretty darned close to perfect, IMO. (not accounting for aging effects)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
I really don't think you need to do the whole car. I skipped the doors, rear fenders, most of the rear bumper and rear deck lid. I did Ceramic the whole car. $4300 for that using XPel Ultimate and Ceramic Pro, including full paint correction prior to application.

I think there are many of us that are quite OCD about our cars, and I am no exception. I think how PPF looks on body panels vs unwrapped panels is highly color and ambient light dependent. White cars with indoor lighting are the worst. My GT Silver Spyder is about 50% wrapped....full hood, front bumper, front fenders, full rocker panels/lower side panel, and rear bumper just behind the wheels. I used XPel Ultimate. Then ceramic on the whole car. I really can not tell without touching what is wrapped and what is not. Maybe the Ceramic on the whole car makes a difference? The installation makes a huge difference also in terms of how the edges and body lines are managed.
On a previous cars a I skipped the rear fender, trunk lid and doors... YMMV but it was a mistake in my case.

Parked at a hotel and some dimwitted person dragged their roller bag down the passenger side door, a 3 foot long scratch into the clear coat.

Drivers side rear fender, up on top, a rock flung by the front tire tagged the top surface twice leaving 2 paint chips. On another occasion and on the ferry returning from the US, a passenger stumbles out of their vehicle pushing their door into my car, without PPF on the wheel arch there definitely would have been paint damage, as it was the film took it like a champ, insurance covered it replacement, no paint required.

Trunk surface, again probably at a hotel, someone decided to put something on there (purse or box) while the getting something out of their car... yep more scratches.

Life happens, so for me and piece of mind, PPF goes on the entire car!

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-20-2022 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toon902 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Westcoast
On a previous cars a I skipped the rear fender, trunk lid and doors... YMMV but it was a mistake in my case.

Parked at a hotel and some dimwitted person dragged their roller bag down the passenger side door, a 3 foot long scratch into the clear coat.

Drivers side rear fender, up on top, a rock flung by the front tire tagged the top surface twice leaving 2 paint chips. On another occasion and on the ferry returning from the US, a passenger stumbles out of their vehicle pushing their door into my car, without PPF on the wheel arch there definitely would have been paint damage, as it was the film took it like a champ, insurance covered it replacement, no paint required.

Trunk surface, again probably at a hotel, someone decided to put something on there (purse or box) while the getting something out of their car... yep more scratches.

Terrible! Most of these "issues" are from selfish morons. The world is falling apart....
Old 12-20-2022, 01:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
With a good installer, it's pretty darned close to perfect, IMO. (not accounting for aging effects)
I agree with you, pretty darn close!

I look at PPF this way when compared to paint, paint is rarely perfect either nor stays perfect unless you never go out into the real world, if you do then see my post above.

With unprotected paint you will get scratches and chips, if you are OK with this or feel that a re-paint is easy then there is nothing left to say, you have your plan.

For me like most of us we have had less than perfect 'touch up painting' or body work over the years I prefer a way to stay out of the body shop, PPF that needs to be replaced is generally only on one panel or section of the car, a fender, door or hood, it is easy to do for the installer and takes less than a day, requires minimal cure time the colour match of the paint is 'factory perfect'. I would also guess that the cost to paint a door including blending the paint into the adjacent panels would cost as much or more that simply replacing the PPF (assuming no bodywork is required).

Old 12-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast

Aw man, that is just criminal behavior by people.

The world's always been falling apart; we just have a much larger caliber gun with which to shoot our own foot, these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
Ken in San Diego (12-20-2022), Westcoast (12-20-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:25 AM
KRSOne
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid Leak

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
I found QuickJack to be too fiddly for me for oil changes, although it's great for everything else. I bought Race Ramps for oil changes. They make it so much easier to access the screws to the aero panels. Every time I change the oil I think about how awesome it would have been if Porsche provided a small access panel for an easy oil change.

Also, if you AX or track, the windshield washer fluid is guaranteed to dribble down the lower left front fender close to the door.
Interesting comment about the windshield washer fluid. After tucking my Spyder away for the winter, I found a nice little pink puddle on the floor right behind the left front wheel - I think coming from around the jack point. I assumed it was soap slowly draining from the end-of-season washing so I haven't investigated further- but is there a known problem with some sort of leak from the WWF reservoir?

Quickjack comment also interesting - I've seen it suggested that you remove the outer screws holding the aero panels on before jacking the car up - is that too much of a pia when compared to using ramps?
Old 12-21-2022, 11:07 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KRSOne
Interesting comment about the windshield washer fluid. After tucking my Spyder away for the winter, I found a nice little pink puddle on the floor right behind the left front wheel - I think coming from around the jack point. I assumed it was soap slowly draining from the end-of-season washing so I haven't investigated further- but is there a known problem with some sort of leak from the WWF reservoir?

Quickjack comment also interesting - I've seen it suggested that you remove the outer screws holding the aero panels on before jacking the car up - is that too much of a pia when compared to using ramps?
I would compare the colour of the WWF to this puddle... Engine antifreeze in these is pink IIRC? And yes, spirited driving can cause WWF to overflow and leave a puddle or appear on the fender near the wheel.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:47 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by KRSOne

WWF leakage is well known. Not sure at what fill level it stops leaking during spirited driving.

Have not tried removing screws beforehand. Race Ramps provide great clearance for removing screws and panels. So I’ll continue to use the RR’s.

Quick Reply: New Spyder Owner - Any tips