Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New Spyder Owner - Any tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022 | 11:40 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

1. high temp brake fluid (SRF is what we use)
2. basic maintenance as per the handbook. We do oil changes every 2 track days or every 3-4k miles (min once a year) with synthetic

Congrats on the Spyder...best looking car Porsche makes
Old 12-16-2022 | 01:47 AM
Dyim
Drifting

I would suggest drive the car a bit and see what you would like to change.

Then search away.

Lots of exhaust and suspension mods.

Some like the T design module so the car remembers the last settings, keep auto start stop off…etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dyim:
BoxKing (12-16-2022), Larry Cable (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 10:35 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Use the magnifying glass advanced feature.

Search titles.

Deselect all forums and only select this one.

Alternatively scroll through the pages, all the repetitive topics are on the first 2-3 pages.

Welcome
This post should be pinned at the top of the forum. Most useful 4 lines on the entire forum. Cuz basic search is entirely useless, unless you have noting but time and infinite patience on your hands. The google version is also useful.

I would recommend the search feature default to CURRENT FORUM ONLY and maybe even TITLES ONLY, and then Advanced allows you to add more. Unless when you hit Search, you have no way to know from whence you came.

Besides the topics you listed, I would scan the https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...718-today.html thread (What did I buy for my 718). Tons of good tweaks and upgrades.

I was literally counting the number of posters before dnimi or TRZ weighed in with "this car's rear suspension sucks" comments. dnimi wins!

Last edited by Adrift; 12-16-2022 at 10:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
dnimi123 (12-16-2022), Ramon Vennik (12-18-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 11:16 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Default New Spyder

Hi Bill!
welcome and congratulations on the spyder.
I too just got a 718 Spyder coming from several 991’s.
I’m with you with with several questions as Spyders have several quirks!
There are some great people on here that love to help….but as you can see there are others that don’t.
The search function is terrible for the most part.
Ask questions!! AND enjoy!!!!

Rob
Old 12-16-2022 | 11:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Search and read the forum. You questions, thought of or not not, have a high probability of having been addressed.
Captain Buzz Kill!

(Anyone surprised?

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-16-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2022 | 11:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill in Marin
I'm a new Spyder and a new P-Car owner. After being on a waitlist for a GTS for almost 2 years. Then I rolled that deposit into a T, realized a Spyder was probably the better car at that price point, saw Spyder prices dropping, and pulled the trigger on a Manual in Chalk for a healthy markdown. It seemed the best way to get into a GT equivalent car at a reasonable price point. Pretty hyped. Any collective wisdom from the crowd on:

1. Basic mod recommendations if tracked 2-3 times a year (fluids, pads, etc)
2. Any watchouts, service items, quick fixes, etc. Like are there 2-3 things every Spyder or 718 owner should do.
Hey - congrats on picking up what is arguably the best-bang-for-your-buck Porsche / car on the market!

These forums can be a tough crowd but my advice is to simply bookmark this and start to watch and engage and soon enough you'll see the typical threads on exhausts, suspensions, tires etc... surface and your questions will be answered.

Have fun and welcome!

Spyder owner No. 3
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 12:26 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

I can’t believe you kicked this off with a ‘search the forum’ post, that’s the classic litmus test for how welcoming a forum is, and you failed it instantly.
Don't be dissuaded. This forum is better than the "use the search function" response. In fact, it's better than any other automotive forum I've been around. Ask your questions and you'll get your answers.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
Ken in San Diego (12-16-2022), UncleDude (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 12:54 PM
dub
Racer

The following 2 users liked this post by dub:
Larry Cable (12-16-2022), UncleDude (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 01:41 PM
dmboone25
Pro

I'm a new Spyder and a new P-Car owner. After being on a waitlist for a GTS for almost 2 years. Then I rolled that deposit into a T, realized a Spyder was probably the better car at that price point, saw Spyder prices dropping, and pulled the trigger on a Manual in Chalk for a healthy markdown. It seemed the best way to get into a GT equivalent car at a reasonable price point. Pretty hyped. Any collective wisdom from the crowd on:

1. Basic mod recommendations if tracked 2-3 times a year (fluids, pads, etc)
2. Any watchouts, service items, quick fixes, etc. Like are there 2-3 things every Spyder or 718 owner should do.
Congrats! Post some pictures of the new ride when you can.

I got my Spyder in May, and here are a few thoughts you might find useful:
  • The roof is "tight" for a while, especially when closing and the latch mechanism is being engaged. I was nervous at first, but you gotta pull the roof towards the front windshield pretty hard until it loosens up a bit.
  • Along the same lines, I would keep the roof closed when the car is in the garage - it helps with the first point I made and also reduces dust in the cabin from the garage.
  • When you're closing the roof, you might consider attaching the flaps to the deck lid, but not locking the deck lid into place. I have better luck attaching flaps, getting in the car and securing the roof to the windshield, THEN hopping back out and snapping the deck lid closed.
  • When you wash the car, make sure you put your car dryer nozzle in the "smile" vent for several swipes. Soap and water will come out on your splitter, rather than on your windshield when you're driving off!
  • The car cools itself effectively when you're driving, but when you get out, it is HOT (especially with stock OAPs) next to the intake, so take notice of that.
  • Unlike my 981s, pulling both paddles on the steering wheel does NOT put you into neutral, for whatever reason.
  • There are a bunch of combinations out there to improve / refine the exhaust volume / tone / valve operation. IMO, it's a must on this car, in one way or another.
I am sure I will think of others, but these are some things that other forum members helped me with right after I got my Spyder.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmboone25:
Ken in San Diego (12-16-2022), UncleDude (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 02:06 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Nice to hear from you Racer!!!! Thanks for your comments. This is EXACTLY what us newbie’s were hoping for! Some other things:

- water temp stays at 218-221 normal? Coolant is normal fill (my 911.1 was always 194)
- best easiest way to clean both sides of rear plastic window
- visors won’t release to go to shade side window (interesting)

TIA!
Rob

Old 12-16-2022 | 02:30 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmboone25
  • Unlike my 981s, pulling both paddles on the steering wheel does NOT put you into neutral, for whatever reason.
I wonder if this is a Spyder only thing? I'm pretty sure this option is on GT4s as ive seen many a YouTuber do that exact thing on a 718 GT4.
Gorthaur (12-18-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 02:38 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Here's another one, learn (if you don't know already) how to set your side view mirrors properly (i.e. not aimed at your back fender) the blind spot from the top is fairly larger. You can eliminate the blind spot if you correctly overlap your rear view mirror and side mirrors, and of course shoulder check is mandatory.
Old 12-16-2022 | 02:51 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
I was literally counting the number of posters before dnimi or TRZ weighed in with "this car's rear suspension sucks" comments. dnimi wins!
If I am to be quoted, please do so correctly. Its the entire cars (front and rear) suspension that sucks! Particularly the PASM, springs and dampers other than those minor components (along with a couple other bits) the 'suspension' is fine!
Old 12-16-2022 | 03:04 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I wonder if this is a Spyder only thing? I'm pretty sure this option is on GT4s as ive seen many a YouTuber do that exact thing on a 718 GT4.
Might be - but if so, seems a bit strange...

Both my 981 CS and BGTS did this, so I was really surprised when it was a no go on the Spyder.
Gorthaur (12-18-2022)
Old 12-16-2022 | 03:18 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmboone25
Might be - but if so, seems a bit strange...

Both my 981 CS and BGTS did this, so I was really surprised when it was a no go on the Spyder.
Not sure what you’re doing wrong but pulling both PDK paddles and holding same as clutch in in a manual car

The difference is on the GT cars you can clutch kick the car when releasing the paddles.
Ramon Vennik (12-18-2022)

Quick Reply: New Spyder Owner - Any tips