Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New Spyder Owner - Any tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 04:14 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Im leaning towards the same train of thought as you. My current car has a 1/3 PPF, and my OCD self could spot the difference from where the PPF was laid, to where it was not like it was a sore thumb. I had been going back and forth with the idea of doing the 1/3 wrap again (XPEL) or the entire car in STEALTH/Ceramic. Today I woke up and decided against the 6-7,000$ combo. Instead, my buddy who is a detailer will do a light polish to the factory paintwork, then I’ll follow up doing all the rest of the steps myself (Decontamination…etc…). Crystal Serum Light, topped with EXO X2 coats. This stuff is easy to work with, and I’ll save even more by doing this DIY - the plan it to split up the project over two weekends; 1st the paint/trim, 2nd Wheels/Glass/Interior. My out of pocket cost will be less than 1000$, with all the rest of the PPF money alone going towards Exhaust, Suspension, and other miscellaneous mods that will give me a better bang for my buck than PPF/Ceramic $$$$

Touch up paint will be bought ASAP, bc I will have around 100,000 on the GT4 within 5-6 years, and I do a lot of highway driving.
Yep, I am thinking the same. I am rather OCD too, but I just don't think the PPF is the right solution. With the saved money, I can also get QuickJack and work on my car easier (ceramic, oil changes, etc...).
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken in San Diego:
edub (12-17-2022), Larry Cable (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 04:19 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Im leaning towards the same train of thought as you. My current car has a 1/3 PPF, and my OCD self could spot the difference from where the PPF was laid, to where it was not like it was a sore thumb. I had been going back and forth with the idea of doing the 1/3 wrap again (XPEL) or the entire car in STEALTH/Ceramic. Today I woke up and decided against the 6-7,000$ combo. Instead, my buddy who is a detailer will do a light polish to the factory paintwork, then I’ll follow up doing all the rest of the steps myself (Decontamination…etc…). Crystal Serum Light, topped with EXO X2 coats. This stuff is easy to work with, and I’ll save even more by doing this DIY - the plan it to split up the project over two weekends; 1st the paint/trim, 2nd Wheels/Glass/Interior. My out of pocket cost will be less than 1000$, with all the rest of the PPF money alone going towards Exhaust, Suspension, and other miscellaneous mods that will give me a better bang for my buck than PPF/Ceramic $$$$

Touch up paint will be bought ASAP, bc I will have around 100,000 on the GT4 within 5-6 years, and I do a lot of highway driving.
Question - Why would you apply Crystal Serum Light, then apply EXO X2 on top? Ah, I found the answer - https://clean-garage.com/gtechniq-cr...c-coating-kit/

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 12-17-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:06 PM
edub
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Yep, I am thinking the same. I am rather OCD too, but I just don't think the PPF is the right solution. With the saved money, I can also get QuickJack and work on my car easier (ceramic, oil changes, etc...).
This is pretty much how I feel now. I could have a set of track wheels and a lift in the garage now instead of ppf.

I will sell this car, but not without a ton of miles on it, so why am I trying to preserve it at my expense for something that when I sell it, will be nearly worthless or just a liability (old ppf is a liability)

Lesson learned. In the future I'll probably ppf the front bumper, maybe the hood (my hood ppf is already scratched up well)
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 07:51 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Interesting point about PPF. So many folks here recommend it. As you have it on your car, and you don't recommend it. Is it the XPEL brand? I have my new Spyder coming next month, but with XPEL and ceramic coating, I am looking at about $8k. It's a lot of money.
If I didn't get a really good deal on PPF at the time of sale I would not have gotten it. Never had it before and never seemed to need it. The next guy can spray the panels if it bothers him that much. I see some folks talking about $7-8,000 to PPF the whole car and I just cannot comprehend that in terms of cost/benefit.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
dnimi123 (12-17-2022), Ken in San Diego (12-17-2022), Larry Cable (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 09:32 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the Spyder! There’s lots you can do for performance and cosmetics, but here’s my priority list:

-Rear Toe Links and proper alignment
-OAP (over axle pipes) to increase volume a bit
-Cargraphic Valve Controller to enjoy the full exhaust sound at all RPMs
-T Design module to save all your settings like Auto Start/Stop, exhaust, rev match

PPF is necessary in my opinion, helps on track as well. Though it is not bulletproof to be honest especially when track use is involved. Things get ricocheted onto your car.

Make sure your flaps are secured before driving away when you put the top up. Witnessed one person doing it wrong and then just flapping and banging against the rear decklid a few weeks ago.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:44 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I found QuickJack to be too fiddly for me for oil changes, although it's great for everything else. I bought Race Ramps for oil changes. They make it so much easier to access the screws to the aero panels. Every time I change the oil I think about how awesome it would have been if Porsche provided a small access panel for an easy oil change.

Also, if you AX or track, the windshield washer fluid is guaranteed to dribble down the lower left front fender close to the door.
Larry Cable (12-18-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:19 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

A daily driver can have stone chips all over it but not my "nice" car...PPF on at least the forward-facing panels is cheap protection IMO.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:22 AM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
A daily driver can have stone chips all over it but not my "nice" car...PPF on at least the forward-facing panels is cheap protection IMO.
the OCD part of me will notice the covered vs uncovered PPF panels. Seems like all or nothing is only option for me….
Toon902 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:25 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

the OCD part of me will notice the covered vs uncovered PPF panels. Seems like all or nothing is only option for me….
I would challenge anyone to see where mine starts and stops, and I am as OCD as anyone. My car is Yellow though so maybe that matters? The key is not getting partial panels done and following the lines of the car. I got the entire hood done, not half like some, and I got the rockers done but not the doors, etc. And as they say, "shop the installer, not the material."
Old 12-19-2022, 01:53 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

A bit late to the part,y but I agree with @edub, and like him, I am saying that after having a full XPEL PPFed car.
I felt the wrap tends to get damaged much easier than actual paint. It is hard to find a shop that does it properly without leaving exposed edges, it is expensive, it doesn't last that long, etc. etc.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Interesting that PPF seems to polarize a few here on Rennlist...

If you can't afford it then don't get it,
If you don't care about rock chips then don't get it,
If you think you can see it then don't get it,
If you don't keep your car for long don't get it,
If you plan to re-paint your car as a solution don't get it,
If you have never heard of PPF then don't get it,

Some of us think differently and the points on the list above don't apply, for us it makes sense...

The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Ken in San Diego (12-19-2022), Larry Cable (12-19-2022), rwm (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:08 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting that PPF seems to polarize a few here on Rennlist...

If you can't afford it then don't get it,
If you don't care about rock chips then don't get it,
If you think you can see it then don't get it,
If you don't keep your car for long don't get it,
If you plan to re-paint your car as a solution don't get it,
If you have never heard of PPF then don't get it,

Some of us think differently and the points on the list above don't apply, for us it makes sense...
Perfect executive summary!

With all that said, I am seriously thinking about ceramic. I want to keep the UV rays off the paint and plastic parts, and I think it will make general maintenance easier. Plus, the cost point is very affordable.

Last edited by Ken in San Diego; 12-19-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Perfect executive summary!

With all that said, I am seriously thinking about ceramic. I want to the the UV rays off the paint and plastic parts, and I think it will make general maintenance easier. Plus, the cost point is very affordable.
Cheers!

Ceramic coatings are amazing, I use them as well, they certainly make general maintenance a whole lot easier, cleaning the exterior of the car has never been a more enjoyable part of ownership.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Adrift (12-19-2022), Ken in San Diego (12-19-2022), Larry Cable (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:43 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Cheers!

Ceramic coatings are amazing, I use them as well, they certainly make general maintenance a whole lot easier, cleaning the exterior of the car has never been a more enjoyable part of ownership.
Plus I find it deepens the luster / color of the car, significantly; really makes it glow.
The following 4 users liked this post by Adrift:
Ken in San Diego (12-19-2022), Lucifer (12-20-2022), rwm (12-19-2022), Westcoast (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 08:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Yes there is a track time thread…..first or second page if you don’t want to use search tools as recommended lol……unfortunately we do not have a site librarian to hold you by the hand and take you to your requested information or write a customized report for you.

I read bimmerpost too and 100% certain they tell you the same gdt.
I usually refrain from making any such comment, but this is quite possibly the most obnoxious post I have ever read. A new owner chimes in and wants some info and this is your response? Unbelievable!!

The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Ken in San Diego (12-20-2022), Lucifer (12-20-2022)

Quick Reply: New Spyder Owner - Any tips