Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Salvage Title — Offer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 06:33 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo12345
check it out
Fixed the link for you

https://en.bidfax.info/porsche/boxst...4ms240215.html
Old 12-07-2022, 06:51 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
Frame damage…yikes.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Larry Cable (12-11-2022), mojo12345 (12-08-2022), santiago660 (06-09-2023)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

perfect thx.

I wouldn't do it but it's not as bad as it looks IMO. That's a hard hit. It's in deep and Porsche likely wouldn't sell the structural components they needed behind the outer sheet metal to anyone but a certified shop, so they probably repaired the structure, or use used parts from another write off. There actually is a long way to go on a hit like that before it makes it into the inner aluminum structure so it may not have made it to the floor of the car. As far in as it is that plastic panel being bent like that makes it look worse than it likely is IMO. 49g USD for repairs sounds about right to me, canadian I was thinking under 60g and that thing would be a struggle to get written off.

But it's not a crazy hit, nor is it guaranteed they didn't do it with care and attention. They spent 26g (or so tehy claim) on a job that should have taken 49g, but that it totally within the realm of possible for someone in the industry to fix 'properly' outside of insurance. If a Porsche bodyshop took off that side skirt and put it on a hoist and didn't see any red flags knowing how it was hit, I'd say it could be worth the risk, if it was the right price...... But it's not the right price.

What I honestly like the least about that hit is how the trunk fits. It got put way out of alignment and closed the gaps on the driver side. Why? The worry is the structure was moved enough to move where that trunk's hinges mount to.

I don't know how taboo write offs are in your area, but in Canada I've fixed some and they're super hard to sell, even cheap ones where you'd think people are ok if it's a good deal. I did a low km 2-3 year old tucson in mint condition with only 3g in damage but it was flagged as a salvage title (because some nut job threw flaming gas on the hood and melted the bug deflector onto the bumper and headlight and all burn vehicles generally get written off instantly), and that thin was 42g new here, and I sold it for $15,500, when the next cheapest tucson was 24g and a POS. That's the most I could get for it and is why I very rarely ever buy a write off to fix and when I do it's stuff like that tucson that is a one off that got written off for almost no damage. The thing is banks won't touch them for financing, so they're basically worthless to dealerships. And with most people financing even their lunch, very few people actually pay cash for a car or can. Even if that thing was 70g USD I wouldn't touch it. They paid too much for it and got too greedy with selling it, or took way too long to fix it.

Last edited by Zhao; 12-07-2022 at 10:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zhao:
ldamelio (12-08-2022), mojo12345 (12-08-2022), SpeedySpidey (12-11-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:06 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Definitely not for $100k. Maybe $60,000 if someone measured it and told me everything was was back within specs.
The following users liked this post:
mojo12345 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 09:54 PM
mojo12345
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Response

Originally Posted by Zhao
perfect thx.

I wouldn't do it but it's not as bad as it looks IMO. That's a hard hit. It's in deep and Porsche likely wouldn't sell the structural components they needed behind the outer sheet metal to anyone but a certified shop, so they probably repaired the structure, or use used parts from another write off. There actually is a long way to go on a hit like that before it makes it into the inner aluminum structure so it may not have made it to the floor of the car. As far in as it is that plastic panel being bent like that makes it look worse than it likely is IMO. 49g USD for repairs sounds about right to me, canadian I was thinking under 60g and that thing would be a struggle to get written off.

But it's not a crazy hit, nor is it guaranteed they didn't do it with care and attention. They spent 26g (or so tehy claim) on a job that should have taken 49g, but that it totally within the realm of possible for someone in the industry to fix 'properly' outside of insurance. If a Porsche bodyshop took off that side skirt and put it on a hoist and didn't see any red flags knowing how it was hit, I'd say it could be worth the risk, if it was the right price...... But it's not the right price.

What I honestly like the least about that hit is how the trunk fits. It got put way out of alignment and closed the gaps on the driver side. Why? The worry is the structure was moved enough to move where that trunk's hinges mount to.

I don't know how taboo write offs are in your area, but in Canada I've fixed some and they're super hard to sell, even cheap ones where you'd think people are ok if it's a good deal. I did a low km 2-3 year old tucson in mint condition with only 3g in damage but it was flagged as a salvage title (because some nut job threw flaming gas on the hood and melted the bug deflector onto the bumper and headlight and all burn vehicles generally get written off instantly), and that thin was 42g new here, and I sold it for $15,500, when the next cheapest tucson was 24g and a POS. That's the most I could get for it and is why I very rarely ever buy a write off to fix and when I do it's stuff like that tucson that is a one off that got written off for almost no damage. The thing is banks won't touch them for financing, so they're basically worthless to dealerships. And with most people financing even their lunch, very few people actually pay cash for a car or can. Even if that thing was 70g USD I wouldn't touch it. They paid too much for it and got too greedy with selling it, or took way too long to fix it.

Thank you for your feedback. You put some time into it. I have purchased a salvage in the past and it was a bit of a headache and still is. The car is great but struggling to get it titled. But what made it ok with me is the car was 30k so I wasn’t taking that big of a hit. I know most won’t take the chance on a salvage but I wanted to see people’s reactions on a salvage here. I can get stuck with a 30k car but I can’t with a 65k to 100k purchase. We are also dealing with a car that holds it’s value. Saving 20k on a car you can sell at msrp years after buying tells me to just buy a clean one. I can move it if need be.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:59 PM
mojo12345
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
Definitely not for $100k. Maybe $60,000 if someone measured it and told me everything was was back within specs.
yes that seems like a fair price. 60k is tempting. I have to get them to understand that people who have 100k cash will just buy a clean title. This car is like almost too hot to pull a salvage off. Hell, buy one for 100k and sell it for the same amount a few years later. I was also looking at a 2016 and he is having a hard time moving it and think it is for this reason.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:29 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

The fact that the seller bought it for $64k and sunk a bunch of money into it doesn't factor on what is reasonable to buy it for. It's worth what it is worth, and is certainly not worth $100k. For the record, for a car to be a total loss, it does not have to have damages in excess of value. Most states will have a designated threshold where a car is deemed salvaged even though the damage is below the true value of the car.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 02:46 PM
MillieDad
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one of those scenarios in which we wander down a decision path, take a few turns, and then end up at a completely different destination. As you did hereon, it is then helpful to seek counsel from objective observers so that you can then rightly ask, “why in the $&ck did I think this might be a good idea?” 🙂
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 01:55 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I'd say it could be worth the risk, if it was the right price...... But it's not the right price.
You’ve summed it up nicely.
If someone wants a car of this caliber and MONEY IS AN ISSUE, then it’s worth the resale risk.
IMHO, I see this car realistically selling for mid $80’’s to the low $90’s.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 02:37 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo12345
I looked up what they paid at auction for it and it was 61k and he said that put 26k in it for repairs but I haven’t seen the actual records. Makes me think they aren’t going to move to much but I can purchase a clean one for 115k now. Seems like a smarter move.
$26K into repairs = NOTHING these days given the costs of replacement parts and labout. Do you have the actual repair sheet of what was done?
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeus993:
Larry Cable (01-03-2023), mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:48 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Just remember:

All these questions that you are asking, the next potential purchaser buying it off you (when you sell) will ask the same questions.

For that price, I won’t touch it with a 10’ pole.

If you wait for a year or when the economy takes a real dive, 100k might buy you a clean one with higher mileage.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 05:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

$100k for a salvage Spyder is a pipe dream… don’t take any unnecessary risks for that price difference
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 06:08 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm a bit late to the party...
But I struggle with 26k to repair that... This is a P-Car after all. In comparison, my buddy hit a piece of tire in his Audi last summer - it scuffed up his hood and bumper and grill... NOTHING near this kind of damage but fenders needed blending etc etc... ended up being 13k in repairs.
As mentioned above - I'm guessing this was repaired with profit in mind vs quality. I'm willing to bet it's shady all the way down to a crap paint job. Pass.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Just be patient. The market for these cars is collapsing. Most sellers in the classifieds and elsewhere are in denial but that will change as winter wears on. A lot of people who “know what they’ve got” will be singing a different tune by mid-feb.

People still asking over MSRP for their used Spyder with mods (or in a ****ty spec) that suit their taste but not everyone’s are going to have to get real at some point. For fun, favorite some cars on CarGurus and watch the price reduction e-mails roll in week after week.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 11:15 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Just be patient. The market for these cars is collapsing. Most sellers in the classifieds and elsewhere are in denial but that will change as winter wears on. A lot of people who “know what they’ve got” will be singing a different tune by mid-feb.

People still asking over MSRP for their used Spyder with mods (or in a ****ty spec) that suit their taste but not everyone’s are going to have to get real at some point. For fun, favorite some cars on CarGurus and watch the price reduction e-mails roll in week after week.
Winter is a good time to buy Porsches in general. I purchased two previous 997s from dealers as CPO cars in the winter only to sell them a couple years later in the summer for a couple K over my purchase.
mojo12345 (12-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Salvage Title — Offer?