Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Red Roof Spyder Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Red Roof Spyder Dilemma

Looking for some advice and please bear with me for the long winded post. I have a May 2023 build allocation for a 718 Spyder and I’ve pretty much settled on GT silver for that exterior. For the interior, I‘m strongly leaning towards the extended black leather with red deviated stitching. The rub is that I really like the red top, which obviously is only available with the red Spyder classic interior.

I’ve considered going through with the black top and my desired interior and then ordering a replacement red roof and having it installed. I think the problem I’d have doing that is that the red deviated stitching and the door pulls appears to be either guards red or Carmine red and I’m worried it won’t look right with a Bordeaux red top. I could do the extended deviated stitching package and choose Bordeaux red stitching but it appears you lose the colored Spyder logo on the headrests and the colored door pulls, both of which I like. Not sure if anyone has done a roof swap on one of these cars or otherwise seen how the standard red stitching may look against Bordeaux red.

The easy alternative is just so suck it up and deal with the Spyder Classic interior. I don’t dislike it necessarily, I’m just not sure of how it will wear and whether I’ll get sick of it. On the subject of wear, there’s a red interior Spyder on autotrader with roughly 40k miles and the driver’s seat shoulder bolster has seen better days (pic attached). Is this a function of a careless owner, the red leather or just the seat design and belt placement? Not sure if I’m likely to run into a similar problem with either the red or black interiors. I’ve attached a pic to show what I’m talking about

Old 11-19-2022, 03:25 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

I think that’s the rub from seat belt. In my opinion, some people are very careless or don’t care. I always use my left hand to hold the seatbelt away from teh bolster while it retracts back into position. There are many ways to minimize those wear and tear only if you care to do it.

WRT red roof, it is very personal choice. For resale, it may take longer to find the right buyer. Black roof is always a safe bet.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:37 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

If I recall correctly, some buyers of brand new vehicles have reported that the waviness to the leather is the way it came from the factory, and this is what your image in the upper bolster area looks like to me, not wear. Porsche has said that this is normal for seat production, but I would never accept that waviness in a seat or other leather area. There was at least one thread on this in the 718 GT4 et al sub-forum, again if I recall correctly, so you may wish to search for this.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Looking for some advice and please bear with me for the long winded post. I have a May 2023 build allocation for a 718 Spyder and I’ve pretty much settled on GT silver for that exterior. For the interior, I‘m strongly leaning towards the extended black leather with red deviated stitching. The rub is that I really like the red top, which obviously is only available with the red Spyder classic interior.

I’ve considered going through with the black top and my desired interior and then ordering a replacement red roof and having it installed. I think the problem I’d have doing that is that the red deviated stitching and the door pulls appears to be either guards red or Carmine red and I’m worried it won’t look right with a Bordeaux red top. I could do the extended deviated stitching package and choose Bordeaux red stitching but it appears you lose the colored Spyder logo on the headrests and the colored door pulls, both of which I like. Not sure if anyone has done a roof swap on one of these cars or otherwise seen how the standard red stitching may look against Bordeaux red.

The easy alternative is just so suck it up and deal with the Spyder Classic interior. I don’t dislike it necessarily, I’m just not sure of how it will wear and whether I’ll get sick of it. On the subject of wear, there’s a red interior Spyder on autotrader with roughly 40k miles and the driver’s seat shoulder bolster has seen better days (pic attached). Is this a function of a careless owner, the red leather or just the seat design and belt placement? Not sure if I’m likely to run into a similar problem with either the red or black interiors. I’ve attached a pic to show what I’m talking about

I feel you. I wanted that red top for my Chalk Spyder with Aurum wheels sooo bad but I just did NOT want the red dash top. I don't mind red and black interior, I actually like it on the GTS. But that comes with a black dash top. In the end I just went with the black top. Such dilemmas.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:05 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9elheven
If I recall correctly, some buyers of brand new vehicles have reported that the waviness to the leather is the way it came from the factory, and this is what your image in the upper bolster area looks like to me, not wear. Porsche has said that this is normal for seat production, but I would never accept that waviness in a seat or other leather area. There was at least one thread on this in the 718 GT4 et al sub-forum, again if I recall correctly, so you may wish to search for this.
To clarify, it's not the waviness that I'm as concerned about. It's the blue circled wear below on the bolster. I think this may be a higher resolution version of the pic so hopefully it shows up better

Old 11-19-2022, 04:06 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Yup, I see what you're referring to now. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Vocan (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 04:17 PM
JBM718GTS
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 104 Posts

GT Silver with the classic interior, and red roof is just so iconic. I owned the same spec on my Spyder, and got more compliments on it than any other car I've ever owned. I had LWBS, and with careful ingress and egress, your leather will age nicely.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:30 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

I like the red roof.
How much is a replacement roof though? 5k?? Maybe more? Who would install it? I'm willing to bet you will have a hard time finding any dealer that has EVER replaced one - so no experience. My guess it's not just a quick and easy replacement... and these types of jobs are never as good as how it is from Factory.

I would not settle for an interior that you're not excited about. This is where you will be enjoying all of your time with the car. Don't settle. You'd be better off settling for the black roof instead because 1. you won't see it from inside. 2. the roof will be down most of the time you drive it. 3. the black roof also looks really good.

I think it's a shame you can't get the red roof with a different interior. Maybe as your SA if this is something that can be special ordered?
Congrats on the allocation! I've got a Spyder allocation with March build!
Old 11-19-2022, 04:48 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I like the red roof.
How much is a replacement roof though? 5k?? Maybe more? Who would install it? I'm willing to bet you will have a hard time finding any dealer that has EVER replaced one - so no experience. My guess it's not just a quick and easy replacement... and these types of jobs are never as good as how it is from Factory.

I would not settle for an interior that you're not excited about. This is where you will be enjoying all of your time with the car. Don't settle. You'd be better off settling for the black roof instead because 1. you won't see it from inside. 2. the roof will be down most of the time you drive it. 3. the black roof also looks really good.

I think it's a shame you can't get the red roof with a different interior. Maybe as your SA if this is something that can be special ordered?
Congrats on the allocation! I've got a Spyder allocation with March build!
I think a replacement roof is roughly $2,700 but I could be wrong. Pretty sure this is the correct part based on the diagram: https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Por...701501L02.html

I assume I may be able to get something done via CXX but I'm almost afraid to even ask about how much that would cost based on some of the other CXX prices I've seen thrown around (i.e., $9k for seats in all leather vs alcantara). I suppose it never hurts to ask.

Hadn't considered that a replacement roof install (even by a dealer) might not look as good as the factory roof but that's a good point.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:55 PM
djonesdnd
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Spyderman

Order my Spyder in February 2020 and I too wanted the the classic interior, but after going to my local dealer and sitting in a 911 with a red interior on a sunny day I nixed the idea. Way too much glare from the red dash.
After driving my car for a few months I realized that 95 percent of my driving time was with the top down, so it really doesn't mater what color the roof is, the driver never sees the top unless out of the car. Wait for a few months
after receiving your new car and then reconsider if you actually want to install the red cover, I bet you don't. Mine is a fun car only, not a daily and it is my first convertible. It is the most fun car I've ever owned in 60 years of driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by djonesdnd:
KoNy (11-21-2022), Vocan (11-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Red Roof Spyder Dilemma