Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4: speccing and 2 years of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022 | 05:47 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Lightbulb 718 GT4: speccing and 2 years of ownership

Hi everyone!
I would like to post a video for you here. Why - I owned a GT4 for 2 years. I went through a complete journey - started years before, with first prototype shots of the car, and ended using it everywhere - on track, en long distance route, you name it. I dreamed and worked on what could be possibly the best spec for me and how almost every option affect overall experience of the GT4. I also spent quite a few hours here on Rennlist and many of you offered me some valuable inputs, so I would definitely like to "give back". I spent countless hours in configurator and inspected as many options as possible to the smallest detail. Many people asked me (actually even my dealer) about some of them and overall living with the GT4, so I decided to make this video. It takes you from speccing it to all I learned about this car while owning it, visiting the factory and asking also some Porsche insiders.

Hope it can be useful for your or, at least, entertaining. In case you have made yourself (or just found) a video with the same topic, lets make this thread a collection of this kind!

P.S. You definitely can tell I was not born in english speaking country, so please take some pauses and sentence contruction with a grain of salt.

You can meet me here or on Ig: @mskuhrovec

[y t ]
[ / y t ]
The following 2 users liked this post by Skuhi:
AndrewLakes (11-20-2022), Traind (12-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 06:32 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Nice... however in the downsides department you really only think the front splitter, PPF and temperature qualify? Did you really drive this car for 2 years? How about the gearing, exhaust, oil consumption, just to name a few.... Thanks but...
Old 11-19-2022 | 06:59 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Thank you!

I think I have touched on all the mentioned. Of course I could even go longer, but for most even this is too much!

Oil consumption for me was close to zero. In between the changes, which I did every year (equals to 5000km), I was still in between the MIN/MAX. The car is a "good deal" in general, because of its balance and weight its very easy on brakes and tires as well. PASM is also recalibrated not only for performance, but also because of its influence on consumption of brake pads. I think its the no. 1 choice for track driving. Changing from a regular 911 into a 718 GT4 is a big step, but not in costs. Its much cheaper to run a GT4 on a track regularly than a 911 Carrera. GT cars are literally perfected for the track.

Yeah, tall gearing. As I put most of the emphasis on spec, I kind of missed it. For me, it was not a problem, but an overall high speed limits in Czech Republic could be a factor in that. On a race track there are none so that's the more comparable environment. But still, I can not say it would spoil my experiences in any way. It definitely do not compromise the performance, quite the opposite actually. You will not have to shift that many times over the course of a lap and the engine has a healthy grunt even in low revs, I found it even easier to "wake up" than a GT3. Purely on an "enjoyment" side I did not suffer either. GT4 is ideal for bigger circuits where you can also make the aero work, in that case you will enjoy revving up through more gears for sure. Subjectively "the longest" are 1st and 2nd, but 3rd to 6th are very nicely balanced and flowing. Shift feel is as sweet as it gets! The only scenario I could imagine could be autocross, which seems to be bigger in US than here (OK, it pretty much doesn't exist here). In that case you could be mostly stuck in 1st and 2nd, but I guess this is not the only car.

Exhaust: well, that difficult. I am not a fan of announcing my arrival 3 miles prior entreé, so I was quite happy with the sound. I think most of the people would be happy with the sound inside. Outside, it could feel muted, but this is also depending on the region. This being OPF EU spec its "the worst". But even in that case I was quite happy with that. Great startup sound, with PSE on it makes great, rumbly noise. Driving with a window down, in low revs there was not much to be heard, but rev it over 4k RPM and its more than enough. Deep, rich sound and very different from a GT3.

Last edited by Skuhi; 11-19-2022 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (12-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 07:10 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

OK glad you are happy with the car stock from the factory. Ive done several modifications to get the car to a level I consider reasonable... but thats for another thread(s). Thank you for the nice VDO and good luck!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4: speccing and 2 years of ownership