Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

All season tires for winter/cold weather use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022 | 01:26 PM
rusmani
Rennlist Member

I'm in Indiana and just got my GT4 a few weeks ago. Car came with Dunlop's. I'm leaning towards grabbing some all seasons for winter (dry driving only, just want to drive with colder temps) and then switching back to the Dunlop's for summer driving. Are people who are doing this getting a second set of wheels or just swapping tires back and forth on the OEM wheels? If getting a second set of wheels, what do you all recommend? I have PCCB and it seems like a challenge to find wheels that clear the brakes that aren't a crazy cost.
Old 11-20-2022 | 01:38 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by landsteam
Picking up my Spyder today, I live in NY and its very cold already. I was thinking about getting all season tires so I can use the car over the winter.
Not in the snow but when the roads are clear, dry and cold.
I don't want to buy the car and immediately have it sit in my garage for 4 months.
Anyone else using all seasons and what tire would you recommend?
landsteam,

You might find the below Post of interest.
It contains Michelin AS/4 tire information.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18473270

Terry
Old 11-20-2022 | 01:52 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusmani
I'm in Indiana and just got my GT4 a few weeks ago. Car came with Dunlop's. I'm leaning towards grabbing some all seasons for winter (dry driving only, just want to drive with colder temps) and then switching back to the Dunlop's for summer driving. Are people who are doing this getting a second set of wheels or just swapping tires back and forth on the OEM wheels? If getting a second set of wheels, what do you all recommend? I have PCCB and it seems like a challenge to find wheels that clear the brakes that aren't a crazy cost.
Yeah, unfortunately there are no "steelies" for the PCCBs. Closest is probably the 20" OZ "Leggeras". I've been swapping "tires" but only because I couldn't source summers for 2 years straight.
Old 11-20-2022 | 02:02 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

I found MPS4S good to 40 degrees and sunny during winter assuming point a to point a drives. I like these on the spyder year round

for daily, I have Michelin alpins on my past (awd) and present (rwd) 911 and it is still squirmy in the cold, but that may be more about softer rubber and too liberal use of throttle…. I don’t love these unless you will daily the car or drive below 35. If so, they are a necessity

last year I got reasonably good use out of the spyder on only 40+ winter days

congrats on the new ride!
Old 11-20-2022 | 03:45 PM
rusmani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Yeah, unfortunately there are no "steelies" for the PCCBs. Closest is probably the 20" OZ "Leggeras". I've been swapping "tires" but only because I couldn't source summers for 2 years straight.
Have you had an issues swapping tires back and forth with one set of wheels? Any damage to wheels or tires?
Old 11-20-2022 | 04:01 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

The PS4S may be acceptable to around 35 or so in the dry, but I wouldn't drive them until above 60 in the wet.

For that reason alone I'm getting AS4s put on next week. Wish it was sooner, because it is colder than usual and has been wet enough to keep the car in the garage the past week or so.
Old 11-20-2022 | 04:49 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Being selective when you drive in winter to rip around is fine, just keep in mind the majority of the road may be good, but in the shade or in odd spots there can be ice patches.

I don't know what your climate is like exactly in winter but sounds like it's what I'd call a mild winter so I'd go with a bridgestone RE980 personally as long as you stick to being selective when you go for rips and your routes are legitimately like 99% free of ice and snow. I run those on my bmw in the summer and as long as they never see track or drive them hard in summer they're a good performance all-season. Grip should be consistent over the life of the tire and they shouldn't weather crack, something Michelin can't claim to be true with their AS3's I had. I haven't had any complaints with sidewall marshmellowness with them either.

The set of AS3's I had weather cracked and cycled out to the point where in summer I'd break them loose leaving a traffic light in a miata. I don't know why michelin has a problem with all their tires turning into hockey pucks (I have the same problem with dunlop) but it's not a problem bridgestone has, so I try to stick to bridgestones. I have a theory it's because in Japan thier tires do not wear out because of lack of tread but because of age of rubber and bridgestone has focused more on consistent grip than european manufacturers.

If you think you'll go out and experience icy patches or snowy patches on your ideal ripping days in winter, I'd go with a performance winter and just come to terms that you might have to buy new winters, at least the rear, every year. ice with any sort of corner on all-seasons is a good way to hit a curb or go off.
Old 11-20-2022 | 04:54 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusmani
Have you had an issues swapping tires back and forth with one set of wheels? Any damage to wheels or tires?
No issues, but it depends on who's doing the work. I'm more concerned about rotor damage during the swap.
The following users liked this post:
rusmani (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022 | 09:23 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

BBS FI-Rs with Michelin PS4S for the spring / summer and my stock wheels with Michelin Alpine for the late fall / winter. It has been a great combo for me so far.
Old 12-22-2022 | 10:20 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Winter has arrived and the Michelin A/S 4 (Ultra High-Performance) are EXCELLENT !!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18529891

Terry
The following users liked this post:
slilley (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022 | 12:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I run Bridgestone RE980AS on the OEM Spyder wheels this time of year, very happy with their grip and overall handling, in line with what I expect from UHP All Season tires.

Quick Reply: All season tires for winter/cold weather use?