Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 04:19 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 175 Posts

Waited 3 weeks upon taking delivery due to PDI at the dealer, installments of the Manthey brake kit and full body STEK DYNOshield (after paint correction) were they dismantled all air scoops, mirrors and bumpers to get every square mm covered in PPF, and a double layer behind the wheel arches and the mirrors.

This new STEK PPF has self healing properties and has built-in ceramic coating.

Bumper was taken off afterwards as they didn’t get it right on the first attempt.

Last edited by Odin; 11-20-2022 at 04:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (01-19-2024)
Old 11-20-2022, 09:07 AM
nixsky
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DreiPedals
almost the same exact story, sans-PTS. I’ve been patient for so long waiting for the build, what’s another couple of weeks wait to ensure the car is as protected as it can be for road rash.

drove it about a mile in total, and cannot wait for the next 20k of them.
You got further than me lol! All I’ve done is reversed it into my garage. That said, I had a manual GT4 before… so I know what I’m getting etc. Still, I’m really excited. Will be back with me in time for Christmas!

It’s definitely worth protecting a PTS GT4, don’t think there’s many around. From what I hear they’re not making any more either!
DreiPedals (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 04:18 PM
DreiPedals
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nixsky
You got further than me lol! All I’ve done is reversed it into my garage. That said, I had a manual GT4 before… so I know what I’m getting etc. Still, I’m really excited. Will be back with me in time for Christmas!

It’s definitely worth protecting a PTS GT4, don’t think there’s many around. From what I hear they’re not making any more either!
Without a doubt, full agreement here. If I were lucky enough to have gotten a PTS car, I would have done just the same - ppf everything!

Aaah, at least one of us knows they'll be thrilled with the new ride......I am fingers crossed very very tightly until I can make a determination if the car is right for my use case - and whether or not I picked the right transmission too; that's kind of a big one.

Hope you have yours all protected and ready to pile on the smiles asap! I got a update from my detailer today showing the PORSCHE script on wing and am somehow even more excited to drive this thing now.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:26 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

Just curious what’s everyone paying for a full PPF job?
Pyrat2 (01-21-2024)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:26 AM
prof.nano
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WirthO
I have done a full xpel wrap on my car gt4rs also. I have heard stories of the carbon coming away from the mirror body. Did anyone hear the same?
Yes! I had this happen as well and my detailer and ppf person has mentioned he has heard of this peeling problem from others in his community.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 915 Posts

My PPF guy showed me different post on social media about this.....
Old 12-06-2022, 02:46 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 260 Posts

Wonder if this mirror issue will be big enough for Porsche to issue a recall or something?
Old 12-06-2022, 03:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Wonder if this mirror issue will be big enough for Porsche to issue a recall or something?
My worry is that if I decide to change some of the PPF 1 or 2 years down the road (which I do as I track the car) that Porsche will use the PPF excuse to deny any warranty....
Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
My worry is that if I decide to change some of the PPF 1 or 2 years down the road (which I do as I track the car) that Porsche will use the PPF excuse to deny any warranty....
No such worries as the dealer handled the PPF job for me. They chose the PPF guy.

Btw; how can a solid CF part peel off it’s surface?
Mr. Adair (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 03:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Odin
No such worries as the dealer handled the PPF job for me. They chose the PPF guy.

Btw; how can a solid CF part peel off it’s surface?

My PPF guy is the best but independent of dealers.....guess will have to take that chance.
Well.....if it's a very, very thin carbon cover (not a full carbon piece) I could see that peeling happening if the bonding is not strong enough.
Can happen the same with paint......
Old 12-06-2022, 03:21 PM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
My PPF guy is the best but independent of dealers.....guess will have to take that chance.
Well.....if it's a very, very thin carbon cover (not a full carbon piece) I could see that peeling happening if the bonding is not strong enough.
Can happen the same with paint......
I know for sure the hood on my GT4RS is solid CF through and through as I can see unlaquered underside of it and I reckon the other parts are the same. If not, Porsche are scamming us BIG time for what they charge for the CF parts.

My PPF installer is also considered the best in the business in my area and is a stand alone business separate for my dealer, but they chose his firm and handled the installment. In fact they also picked up the bill for it as it was part of the sale, so if any damage to paint or CF down the line, I’ll actually have to put any future claims towards my dealer, as they were the customer of the PPF installer. Very handy in hindsight👌🏻
Old 12-06-2022, 04:37 PM
WirthO
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prof.nano
Yes! I had this happen as well and my detailer and ppf person has mentioned he has heard of this peeling problem from others in his community.
I spoke with my dealer about the posts I saw and we have a verbal agreement if this happens he will honour the warranty. I had my installer put the xpel ppf on the mirrors and have had no issue yet.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:30 PM
Sklambda
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Just curious what’s everyone paying for a full PPF job?
I paid $8500 full ppf using expel ultimate fusion
Old 12-06-2022, 10:38 PM
prof.nano
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WirthO
I spoke with my dealer about the posts I saw and we have a verbal agreement if this happens he will honour the warranty. I had my installer put the xpel ppf on the mirrors and have had no issue yet.
Same here. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:14 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Bumped this thread to see how the PPFs were holding up. I'm getting a SRS which will have the same issues. Saw this video, and it has me very concerned. I don't think any PPFs will hold up too well over time. I am considering doing a 'custom' PPF job for the fenders both front and rear so that the rock chip prone areas are doubled up and thick as possible, and make them independent pieces for easy / cheaper replacement as needed down the road. Due to the front fender's aero work to allow more air into the intakes, I think over time, this area will prove to be problematic. Especially for those who shelled out $$$ for the PTS options. Lower CF intake bit is also a concern. Anyone going through this issue now? Is the PPF intact and smooth, or are you seeing some tears due to rock strikes, especially in the rear fender right behnd the lower inake? Would appreciate some feedback regarding your experiences, and if possible, some photos to share. Thanks. Starts at marker 2:00

Here is what I'm thinkng. Have the PPF Installer do this section with 2 pieces, and either double up, or use thicker film.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-18-2024 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: GT4RS and PPF