Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 and Spyder RS Aftermarket Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:29 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey all,
Newbie question, would anyone know what setup I need to create the pops and bangs of the 981 GT series stock exhausts with PSE ?
Old 01-17-2024, 08:10 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookie
Hey all,
Newbie question, would anyone know what setup I need to create the pops and bangs of the 981 GT series stock exhausts with PSE ?
BMW 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by K-Nut:
BoxKing (01-17-2024), Le Petit Garage (02-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:13 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookie
Hey all,
I don't know if it will produce the same effect, on stock w/ PSE (I don't see why it wouldn't) but I have pops & bangs. M-Tuner will do this for you if you ask. Great people to work with. They gave me several tunes I can use. Including 91 octane vs. 93 octane in case I decide to travel to the west. Give them an email, I'm sure they'll know what can and can't be done.
The following users liked this post:
Shookie (05-09-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:15 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
I don't know if it will produce the same effect, on stock w/ PSE (I don't see why it wouldn't) but I have pops & bangs. M-Tuner will do this for you if you ask. Great people to work with. They gave me several tunes I can use. Including 91 octane vs. 93 octane in case I decide to travel to the west. Give them an email, I'm sure they'll know what can and can't be done.
For an RS?
Old 01-22-2024, 11:38 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

No. This was for the 718 Spyder. However, they have tunes for the 992 GT3, Touring & RS. Nothing for the GT4 RS yet. I'm sure they'll bring it out soon. As matter of fact, this is something I need to sort out for the incoming SRS. I'm going to send them a note to see where they are with this in case I need to suppress any lambada sensor related CEL. ** Just sent them a note asking about the GT4 RS / Spyder RS. Hopefully they'll hae something soon.

https://www.m-engineering.us/collect...92-gt3-touring

Glad this question was asked @Shookie . Very important aspect of the exhaust upgrade puzzle. Needs a tune.

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-22-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Shookie (05-09-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:00 AM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 569 Likes on 127 Posts

Just went through this whole thread and BC Fabs sounded the best to me. All these 4RS clips sound a bit hollow relative to a GT3, but hopefully this can be rectified with more R&D.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:12 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

@Shookie Bad news. M-Tuner just got back to me. GT4 RS & 718 Spyder RS, and like GT3 before them, the ECU is locked. Which means, no way to tune this thing without an ECU flash by them. It can be tuned but one would have to send in the ECU, and the cost is $8K to do this. This is crazy. Flash is a flash. I have no idea how they are coming up with this fee. I hope we'll have an alternative options down the road.

When I asked them why it costs so much to flash the ECU, this is their respone:

"The 718 GT4 RS ECU is locked from the factory and the 718 Spyder ECU isn't. Unlocking the 718 GT4 RS is difficult and takes a lot of work, which takes approximately 7 days to complete before even being tuned. This ECU isn't able to be flashed through the OBD port.
Although the physical ECU in the GT4 RS and Spyder are similar, the internal coding and programming from the factory is different. "

Without knowing what the required process is, I won't make any judgments. But it doesn't make any sense. What can they be doing for 7 days straight to decrypt or bypass the lock? Unless it requires a digital key and the lockout is implemented at the boot sector / block. Still it's either you have the key or you don't. I am aware that some modern ECUs have these lockouts, and they are either broken (hacked) or not broken. Never heard of anyone having alternative method to decrypt it requiring 7 days.

If anyone who's done this to their GT4 RS / GT3, please chime in. I would love to better understand in more detail regarding this 7 days of work. Only thing I can come up with is possibly the computational power requirements using brute-force attack to 'find' the correct and unique key to each vehicle / ECM. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 01-23-2024 at 11:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fractal-Spyder:
Jamipurs (01-29-2024), Shookie (05-09-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 05:31 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp
Just went through this whole thread and BC Fabs sounded the best to me. All these 4RS clips sound a bit hollow relative to a GT3, but hopefully this can be rectified with more R&D.
Agreed. Got their opf pipes fiited:

sunnyr (04-26-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:16 PM
seanix
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4rsG
nope i’ve had a obd killer . I’ve tried it and it works just fine
Thanks for all your informative posts.
can you post a link to the obd killer please? Thanks very much.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:05 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with the JCR Race Pipes vs Soul Race System? I'm planning to combine one of those with straight OAPs for the loudest possible setup while keeping stock headers.

Given both have very similar designs (X-pipe, no valves), they should in theory produce a similar sound despite the difference in material. My exhaust experience on the GT3 platform was that design/shape of the exhaust plays the biggest role in volume and tone.

From videos online, the JCR system sounds like it has a slightly higher pitch than the Soul Race setup, although I am not sure how much of that is due to most of the JCR videos likely having stock OAPs (being in Europe). A lot of the Soul Race system videos have the Comp OAPs, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Appreciate any thoughts, it's very difficult to make a judgement on exhausts via video and there's not a lot of 4RS cars running around with a variety of exhaust setups like GT3's do.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:54 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Does anyone have any experience with the JCR Race Pipes vs Soul Race System? I'm planning to combine one of those with straight OAPs for the loudest possible setup while keeping stock headers.

Given both have very similar designs (X-pipe, no valves), they should in theory produce a similar sound despite the difference in material. My exhaust experience on the GT3 platform was that design/shape of the exhaust plays the biggest role in volume and tone.

From videos online, the JCR system sounds like it has a slightly higher pitch than the Soul Race setup, although I am not sure how much of that is due to most of the JCR videos likely having stock OAPs (being in Europe). A lot of the Soul Race system videos have the Comp OAPs, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Appreciate any thoughts, it's very difficult to make a judgement on exhausts via video and there's not a lot of 4RS cars running around with a variety of exhaust setups like GT3's do.
We have a few 4RS's in SoCal running many systems already but not all. JCR is the highest pitch exhaust but also comes with the most drone if you do OAP's. Here is how they sound in person since videos are hard to judge by.

Most high pitch to least:

JCR > Fabspeed > Kline > Dundon

Least drone to most drone:

Stock > Kline > Fabspeed > JCR
The following 2 users liked this post by cooler2442:
dash267 (04-29-2024), UncleDude (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 08:03 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

I would add it's always helpful to clarify the design/model of each exhaust in comparisons like these.

Valved systems that have mufflers (like the Fabspeed ones) are going to sound different than a straight X-pipe with no silencers.

To clarify my original question, I would think JCR non-silenced race pipes would sound similar to the Soul system with no resonator given the similarity in design:

I'm coming from a Dundon Crack Pipe so drone is of no concern Trying to find the most extreme setup possible
Old 04-26-2024, 08:15 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
I would add it's always helpful to clarify the design/model of each exhaust in comparisons like these.

Valved systems that have mufflers (like the Fabspeed ones) are going to sound different than a straight X-pipe with no silencers.

To clarify my original question, I would think JCR non-silenced race pipes would sound similar to the Soul system with no resonator given the similarity in design:

I'm coming from a Dundon Crack Pipe so drone is of no concern Trying to find the most extreme setup possible
The Fabspeed I mention doesn't have mufflers, just has resonators/hemholdz chambers. The JCR one I mention is the valved race pipe. A fully straight through exhaust doesn't always mean it will sound the highest pitch, it needs to have proper tuning/balance. I heard a JCR race pipe on a GT4 and it sounded louder but the JCR valved silenced race pipe actually sounded higher pitch/cleaner(less loud though) on a different GT4. No one in America has ordered the normal titanium race pipe from JCR for the 4RS yet. The Soul exhausts do not sound "clean" to me on any of the videos I have seen. If you want the loudest though then yes get non resonated OAP's and the titanium JCR race pipe(but maybe the silenced one with the resonators to get a cleaner sound, talk to Jonny about it).
Old 04-26-2024, 10:31 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec

I have the soul resonated race set up on my 4RS - it’s very loud on the throttle but pretty manageable with normal driving. Drone is subjective but by comparison to my Soul race exhaust on my GT4 the drone on the 4RS is pretty much nonexistent.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:45 PM
brokerben
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

Any input on the Dundon headers and wave pipe? I've only see a handful of clips or discussions on it.

Quick Reply: GT4 and Spyder RS Aftermarket Exhausts