Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Where are the Ice Grey Metallics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022 | 04:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Default Where are the Ice Grey Metallics?

I thought it was a questionable move to introduce yet another silver-ish color that is more or less indistinguishable from GT silver in the configurator, but I'm still surprised that as folks are taking deliveries on their fresh new 2023 718/911s, I have yet to see a single car in Ice Grey Metallic.

Where y'all at? Genuinely curious about the color.
Old 11-08-2022 | 06:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

There have been lots of Taycans delivered in Ice Grey if you just want to see the color. Whole thread dedicated to the color on taycanforum.com. It’s a pretty meh color to me. Not at all similar to GT Silver.
Old 11-08-2022 | 07:36 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There have been lots of Taycans delivered in Ice Grey if you just want to see the color. Whole thread dedicated to the color on taycanforum.com. It’s a pretty meh color to me. Not at all similar to GT Silver.
I've seen it on the Taycans and have to agree, it's nice but doesn't quite seem to meet the standards one would expect of a "premium" color. I guess I'm just curious why someone would select it for almost $2k more than GT silver, maybe there's more to the color than can be extracted from the configurator.

Still, I'd like to see it on a 718 or 911. Similar to Arctic Grey a couple weeks ago before people were taking deliveries, seeing on a Taycan or Cayenne isn't quite the same.
Old 11-08-2022 | 09:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I've seen it on the Taycans and have to agree, it's nice but doesn't quite seem to meet the standards one would expect of a "premium" color. I guess I'm just curious why someone would select it for almost $2k more than GT silver, maybe there's more to the color than can be extracted from the configurator.
Because people fall for the Emperor’s New Clothes argument, particularly Porsche customers. It’s a special color, so it must be special…

I’ve seen Ice Grey in person and the pictures are very accurate. IMO, it’s very sterile color with no character to it. If you want clean silver, go Dolomite; it you want smoky, go GT Silver. Ice Grey looks like the offspring of Dolomite and Carrara White, but has the character of neither.
Old 11-09-2022 | 06:00 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

As much as I love Porsche, Carrera White, GT Silver and Gentian Blue are all special colors ($3450 extra) on the GT4RS.....if that's not a money grab, I don't know what is. It's almost like they don't want you to get anything else other than red, white, yellow or black. "Oh no, ve already locked up de other colors, but happy to paint them if you vill pay for our inconvenience".
Old 11-09-2022 | 06:08 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Because people fall for the Emperor’s New Clothes argument, particularly Porsche customers. It’s a special color, so it must be special…

I’ve seen Ice Grey in person and the pictures are very accurate. IMO, it’s very sterile color with no character to it. If you want clean silver, go Dolomite; it you want smoky, go GT Silver. Ice Grey looks like the offspring of Dolomite and Carrara White, but has the character of neither.
You've been a real barrel of fun the last few days LOL
Old 11-09-2022 | 06:13 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

The GT3 RS launch car with red accents is ice grey metallic. Looks pretty good to me based on photos/videos.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 08:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Here you go. All the excitement of primer.

Not sharp like silver, not clean like white.
Bearrun21 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022 | 06:52 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Here you go. All the excitement of primer.

Not sharp like silver, not clean like white.
Lol, you're chasing anyone who would post away.

The thing is, that's unfortunately more or less what I had thought initially. I really do try to see past the tendency to badmouth new things that manufacturers introduce that may not make the most sense, at least until I've had enough data or personal experience to make a valid conclusion... like I know Nick Murray for example was trashing Porsche's decision to introduce both Arctic Grey and Ice Grey Metallic for 2023 without seeing the colors in person but so far Arctic Grey seems to be a winner (I am a bit biased...). I'm just still scratching my head about the Ice Grey...

Although that said, it does look pretty damn good in some shots on the GT3RS... but as with the GT4RS and Arctic Grey, the RS cars have so much going on to distract with vents and wings and stuff they're not the greatest representatives of the colors they're wearing. Still, looks more like an off-white than a silver in these shots.

Last edited by manifold danger; 11-10-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2022 | 09:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Color is subjective. No right or wrong, just personal preference. IMO Ice Grey should be called Metallic Primer, because that’s what it looks like. But some people will love it, which is all that matters.
manifold danger (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022 | 08:03 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Color is subjective. No right or wrong, just personal preference. IMO Ice Grey should be called Metallic Primer, because that’s what it looks like. But some people will love it, which is all that matters.
Funny, but that's my impression of both Graphite Blue and Arctic Gray. Not a fan of either, but I'm sure they look better with the right color accessories.
Old 11-11-2022 | 10:26 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Lol, you're chasing anyone who would post away.

The thing is, that's unfortunately more or less what I had thought initially. I really do try to see past the tendency to badmouth new things that manufacturers introduce that may not make the most sense, at least until I've had enough data or personal experience to make a valid conclusion... like I know Nick Murray for example was trashing Porsche's decision to introduce both Arctic Grey and Ice Grey Metallic for 2023 without seeing the colors in person but so far Arctic Grey seems to be a winner (I am a bit biased...). I'm just still scratching my head about the Ice Grey...

Although that said, it does look pretty damn good in some shots on the GT3RS... but as with the GT4RS and Arctic Grey, the RS cars have so much going on to distract with vents and wings and stuff they're not the greatest representatives of the colors they're wearing. Still, looks more like an off-white than a silver in these shots.

Swear to God I thought the GT3 RS launch car was white, but then thought 'why does it look off'. Now it makes sense. As mentioned before the color is neither white nor silver, kind of a mix of both I guess with a pearlescent look. Not a big fan at the moment but should see it live too before making assumptions. Looks a bit bland. It seems like this will be the metallic version of Chalk, which is quite a boring color for me personally. Not trying to take a dump on Chalk, no need to take it personal people Some people hate Gentian and I don't take it personal either.

Color is such a personal taste matter that there's essentially no right or wrong choices; unless it's a train wreck (example: bright green exterior with red interior).
Old 11-11-2022 | 10:30 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I think ice grey metallic looks good when coupled by other colors and trim pieces. But for a car to be all that one color is a bit blah to me. The GT3RS with red looks great. The silver tones down the red and red makes the silver seem better looking. And then with the black trim bits, just seems balanced out.
manifold danger (11-12-2022)
Old 11-11-2022 | 12:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mc3456
Funny, but that's my impression of both Graphite Blue and Arctic Gray. Not a fan of either, but I'm sure they look better with the right color accessories.
I almost said that Ice is to Grey what Graphite was to Blue…
Old 11-11-2022 | 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

There is thread in the 992 subforum that has some pics of Ice Grey on the 992 in different lighting.

Quick Reply: Where are the Ice Grey Metallics?