Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ADM on T vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 04:01 PM
MarcusZ
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ADM on T vs GTS

I'm contemplating trying to get a new 718 Boxster T or GTS sometime before production ends. Ideally late 2023.

Backstory, I have a GT4 on order that I'm super excited to receive. However, during the process, I rented a base Boxster which I fell in love with and am thinking of also getting a slower convertible with an automatic top (eliminating the Spyder).

Do you guys know if there is a substantial difference in the ADM and/or availability of the T vs the GTS? Do you think you'd get the difference in price back in resale?

I'm leaning towards the T because I subscribe to the "drive a slow car fast" camp. I'll have the GT4 for fast. In fact, I've never had a car over 300hp that was much fun at road speeds - I personally think the most fun on road can be had with a manual transmission car with good handling and a not so powerful engine.

That sound and the linearity of the 4 liter has some sway over me though haha.

981 Boxster is also an option.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:17 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusZ
I'm contemplating trying to get a new 718 Boxster T or GTS sometime before production ends. Ideally late 2023.

Backstory, I have a GT4 on order that I'm super excited to receive. However, during the process, I rented a base Boxster which I fell in love with and am thinking of also getting a slower convertible with an automatic top (eliminating the Spyder).

Do you guys know if there is a substantial difference in the ADM and/or availability of the T vs the GTS? Do you think you'd get the difference in price back in resale?

I'm leaning towards the T because I subscribe to the "drive a slow car fast" camp. I'll have the GT4 for fast. In fact, I've never had a car over 300hp that was much fun at road speeds - I personally think the most fun on road can be had with a manual transmission car with good handling and a not so powerful engine.

That sound and the linearity of the 4 liter has some sway over me though haha.

FWIW, I stopped by the dealership where a long lost buddy of mine "was" the SA that sold me my CPO GT4 a few years back. Apparently he recently left as the dealership has increasingly adopted the "greed is good" philosophy, and SA who was part of my original deal stated I could be really early on the list for a "T", at no ADM...could place an order as soon as allocations officially announced/released, within next few weeks or so. From my limited, sporadic checking, it seemed like the 991 Ts sold below MSRP for most of the time that used examples have been available...even following COVID era valuation increases.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:48 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Everything you've described points to the 981 being the best option.

Try to find a GTS, but an S works too. Same sound with the PSE. Most agree that the 3.4 in the 981 sounds better than the 4.0 in the 718; I'm of the mind that it's "different, not better". More "exhaust-oriented" as opposed to the 718s "induction-oriented" sound...

Anyway, the 981 paired with a 718 GT4 sounds like a good time. Better option than the T IMO, as I just came from a turbo 4 engine (GTS) that just couldn't win me over- and better than the GTS 4.0 because you already have a car with that engine and the cost factor has to weigh in at some point. At least last I checked, you could get a solid 981 GTS for less than 65k- but you might have to go across the country to get it because they do not grow on trees. Especially manuals.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
AdamIsAdam (10-25-2022), MarcusZ (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 10:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Me, I'm considering a 987 to scratch my next itch for a temporary car next summer. They're cheap, they're fun, and they have enough power. I think a base version 1 manual boxster would be a good backroads car. 240hp, 2900lbs, manual, NA should be miata level fun for winding out. I think they're more expensive in the states but I can get one for 20g with under 100000km.

I think a 981 would also be a good choice but they're still pretty expensive which is why 987s are attractive to me right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
GarrettGTS (10-25-2022), Zeus993 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:49 PM
MarcusZ
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

981 GTS is a great suggestion! I did a quick search and don't see any in manual available now. Past auctions on BAT suggest that 65K may be about right. The thing I struggle with is that it's almost as much as a new 718 T with minimal options (which is how I would spec it). Do you think a 981 GTS would be a substantially better car? Future classic?

I'd also consider a 997.2 S or GTS cabriolet in a manual transmission, but those are hard to find and not inexpensive for good examples. Which begs the question if I should be open to PDK. The Boxster rental we had was PDK, and it was actually really fun haha.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:16 PM
nikuhina
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

981 GTS is a great suggestion! I did a quick search and don't see any in manual available now. Past auctions on BAT suggest that 65K may be about right. The thing I struggle with is that it's almost as much as a new 718 T with minimal options (which is how I would spec it). Do you think a 981 GTS would be a substantially better car? Future classic?

I'd also consider a 997.2 S or GTS cabriolet in a manual transmission, but those are hard to find and not inexpensive for good examples. Which begs the question if I should be open to PDK. The Boxster rental we had was PDK, and it was actually really fun haha.
Try test driving a 981 S/GTS with PSE, and a 718 T.

I drive a 981 S with Soul Performance Valved Exhaust (closer to PSE than it is to stock non-PSE) and the sound is amazing. Love running through gears with the ~310HP 3.4L. When I test-drove a 718 S, even above 4k+ RPM and with exhaust button ON, I had to triple check everything was on/open... I was severely disappointed with the exhaust note. However, the torque-er engine down-low was a different type of fun: flooring it would give you much quicker thrust back in the seat, rather than having to wait in the NA 3.4L!

Quick Reply: ADM on T vs GTS