Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Burmester question regarding sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 06:48 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
My point is simply that these are far from good listening environments where high end car audio can really be appreciated in a nuanced way. A Panamera or Cayenne would be better a better suited Porsche for this. The point of a Burmester in a Spyder is one of clarity and punch at volume. That's it.
i beg to differ. as i posted earlier if you are ever in ohio please feel free to look me up and sit in my driver's seat. i think you may change your opinion.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:19 PM
stmblaster
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
We have Burmester, Bose, and SSP in the fleet. Sound stage for all - such that it exists - is center or perhaps slightly, very slightly to the left.

Your description suggests that one or more speakers on the right side is inoperative.

If your “audition” of other Porsche models suggests that your Spyder’s stage is lopsidedly left, I think you’re correct, but that’s not as-designed.

This, assuming no recent head injury or sickness that may have effected hearing

Seems like it exhibits the same behaviour while sitting in the passenger seat. The vocal range comes almost from the right A pillar so I think it has something to do with the center channel. I have tried placing something over the center channel and the sound moves even further out to the left (driver's seat) or right (passenger's seat), but not majorly. I'm not really sure how to explain this to my dealership but I'm hoping they have a similar car around to be able to compare.

Meanwhile I found out the car had an "action", like a problem the dealership should solve before delivering the car, which was related to the sound system. Maybe there's some connection to that.

Last edited by stmblaster; 10-26-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:13 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by stmblaster
Seems like it exhibits the same behaviour while sitting in the passenger seat. The vocal range comes almost from the right A pillar so I think it has something to do with the center channel. I have tried placing something over the center channel and the sound moves even further out to the left (driver's seat) or right (passenger's seat), but not majorly. I'm not really sure how to explain this to my dealership but I'm hoping they have a similar car around to be able to compare.

Meanwhile I found out the car had an "action", like a problem the dealership should solve before delivering the car, which was related to the sound system. Maybe there's some connection to that.
based on your test it is very possible the center speaker is not outputting enough compared to the other speakers hence the weird imbalance. I'd def bring it to the dealership and see if they are able to replace the center speaker and see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:09 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
based on your test it is very possible the center speaker is not outputting enough
This -^

I’d place my chips on amp problems not speaker problems. It would be a very bizarre failure mode for a speaker to have a low SPL all by itself assuming it wasn’t born that way.

Last edited by worf928; 10-27-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
This -^

I’d place my chips on amp problems not speaker problems. It would be a very bizarre failure mode for a speaker to have a low SPL all by itself assuming it wasn’t born that way.
oh good point, yeah I'd definetly have the dealer check the amp as well.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
oh good point, yeah I'd definetly have the dealer check the amp as well.
If the speaker has always been a zombie then it might just be the speaker or perhaps wiring connection. If it happened all of a sudden then amp. IMO.

Just ran some errands - the long way - in the Burmester-equipped 718. I would describe the sound stage as most-definitely not on the left. It’s a diffuse stage that spans the 80-ish% center of the dash. I get little sense of left and right unless the source has sequences that are 100% left or right.

I’m very spoiled by my time-aligned, eq’d 4+1-channel system in my ‘91. That one’s sound stage is like you are on the stage in the middle of the band (if the source production quality is good.) The Burmester has better clarity though.

Last edited by worf928; 10-27-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Burmester question regarding sound