Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

BGTS 4.0 finally arrived ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:15 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I'm not sure why I seem to be attacked for having posted this issue. I have owned over a dozen Porsches, and several BMWs, and other vehicles over the last decade or so.
I don't remember any having the speedo / tac gauges "off lighted" unless the head lights are on. Ever.

Yes, I suppose someone can "program" this issue away. I doubt if the dealer will do so, and I'm certainly not savvy enough to do so. And, why should I have to do this anyway?
The gauges should be lit all the time ... why not? What's the reason for not being back lit all the time?

I had a 2019 Macan S, a 2019 Targa 4 GTS, and now a 2020 Cayenne S .... ALL these vehicles gauges are illuminated ALL THE TIME !

Watching the tac with a MT is something I've done since the 60s. Having this illuminated is a good thing. Why do some you think this is OK to have no
back lighting during the day time when the head lights are OUT? Why have the gauges at all? And, I don't typically drive at night anyway.

And, why would all the other Porsches I've owned have these gauges illuminated ALL THE TIME? And, not the BGTS 4.0 I now have?
I'm not sure you can justify that.
Thats why u need HUD , i watch that all the time instead of the dashboard in my vette
Old 10-19-2022, 08:40 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Thats why u need HUD , i watch that all the time instead of the dashboard in my vette
Less than helpful; pretty sure he has a Boxster not a vette.

OP, I don't mean to undermine your issue because it's clearly bothering you- but you have to at least sort of understand that you seem to be the only one this upset over it. I'm just not sure you're going to find many folks on here that share your frustration, and I'm also not sure what you're looking for as a solution.

I'll say again without posting a silly meme (I've been dying to use that meme anyway, please don't take offense to my sense of humor), I've had a few Porsches too and I've never noticed the problem...

I think one thing that may help is the color of the tach. I don't think you've mentioned it, but on all my Boxsters it has been a deviated color; one in chalk, two in carmine red. Maybe that's why I haven't personally noticed the issue...

As for a solution, if you're seeing this tach illumination issue as "beyond stupid", then maybe the best solution is to move on from the car. I'm sure there would be plenty of opportunity to get your money back in full, if not make a few bucks... there's lots of good cars out there, don't settle for something that clearly irritates the living hell out of you.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Never remotely noticed this as a problem, but then I have yellow gauges.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:24 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Never remotely noticed this as a problem, but then I have yellow gauges.
All my other Porsches had White gauges. These are Black. This my be why I notice this issue.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:24 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
All my other Porsches had White gauges. These are Black. This my be why I notice this issue.
I have crayon tach and black speedo. Both were issue in sunlight wearing sunglasses. Now coded to have both always illuminated and the needles.

Having the cluster lighting off is very odd default by Porsche. For example, over past 15 years my BMW'S and Audi you couldn't switch gauge lighting off, only adjust brightness.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:54 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Never had an issue with gauges in low light conditions; never crossed my mind. Although I have the yellow gauges.

Simply need enough definition to see the needle go to redline in the periphery.

Was out this morning, turned on the lights and saw only marginal difference.

What can’t you see?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 164 Posts

To the OP, my response and sharing lighting knowledge was not an attack. If you can't see the gauges, you have a visual need.

A go-between besides selling the car would be to work with your dealer and discuss purchasing the white dial faces. If my understanding is correct, Porsche factory-default is for white faces to be lit all the time. (And maybe you just sharing that fact with your dealer team, would get them to 'turn on' your lights without purchasing the white faces.)

As a note, based the title you chose to start this thread, my expectation was a 'beyond thrilled' new owner who was going to espouse the virtue of the car, features, delivery experience, etc....not one beyond frustrated with the car.

Good luck with your solution.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bearrun21:
UncleDude (10-19-2022), YetiMan (10-20-2022)

Quick Reply: BGTS 4.0 finally arrived ...