Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Only at COTA: stuck in a train led by a Senna

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:17 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Reminds me of being on track in a mixed test day, me and a few guys in SRF3s, and someone out there in a LaFerrari FXX K. His lap times were slower than ours. His mate in an LMP2 car wasn’t much quicker.

All the gear and no idea.
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!
Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I missed last weekend.

@electron mike was that KWL in the shark blue GT4?

I’ll be out there at the end of the month.
The following users liked this post:
paffinity (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:47 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks like he smoked you pretty badly … and you lined up to get on track too early considering that two people passed you pretty quickly on lap 2 …

was it open passing ? Or every session was first lap yellow .

postings like this are unbecoming of people who are advance level drivers .

Old 10-11-2022, 10:32 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by paffinity
Was good to finally meet ya @electron mike ! Yea those Mclarens were holding up everyone all day. I have a new nickname for that group, not rafa but rather safa (slow AF association) 😅. Was hoping to improve next day but had a bit of traffic still on Sunday. My quest for sub 2:20 will have to be delayed further.
safa, perfect! Sub 2:20 in a GT4 would be epic, I'm sure you can do it though. I'd put my car in the wall trying to go sub 2:20.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:34 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
I missed last weekend.

@electron mike was that KWL in the shark blue GT4?

I’ll be out there at the end of the month.
Yep I believe that was him, legit fast driver. Good luck out there after F1, my next time out hopefully it will be cooler in December.
raymort (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 10:41 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Looks like he smoked you pretty badly … and you lined up to get on track too early considering that two people passed you pretty quickly on lap 2 …

was it open passing ? Or every session was first lap yellow .

postings like this are unbecoming of people who are advance level drivers .
LOL are you watching the same video? There is no yellow on the first lap.

Two people passed me on lap 2? Oh nooooo! Did you see I also passed them the next lap? About 30 people would have passed that Senna on the first lap if he had any clue. People like you baffle me, did you not see a long *** train in the video driving miss daisy? There were also many more behind me stuck.

Unbecoming of an advanced driver to post this? Man, you are a super delicate flower.

Where are those "I drive flat out" videos?
Old 10-11-2022, 11:59 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulE
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!
Say homie, some of us CAN drive.

Wait, you mean feather not dot.

I can’t speak for those guys 😜

Last edited by dmk2; 10-12-2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

So it was YOU GUYS making it so we had a hard time hearing the timing calls on our autocross right next door to the back straight.
But seriously, cheers to y'all! You were making some great flat-six sounds and I thought I could see some familiar cars ripping around turn 11.
Thanks for posting your video. You were really pushing it!
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
electron mike (10-12-2022), porscheflat6 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 10:11 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
So it was YOU GUYS making it so we had a hard time hearing the timing calls on our autocross right next door to the back straight.
But seriously, cheers to y'all! You were making some great flat-six sounds and I thought I could see some familiar cars ripping around turn 11.
Thanks for posting your video. You were really pushing it!
I didn't know there was an autocross running, so many tents and buildings going up for F1 around the track!
Old 10-12-2022, 10:37 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

@StormRune Damn, woulda stopped by and said 'Hi' if I knew.
StormRune (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 12:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I get your point but to play devils advocate, at least a Senna owner is actually taking the thing out on a track and not just cars and coffee or cruising the strip. Need some driving lessons for sure or tire warmers but happy to see it being used.
true, rare for a car like that to see track, and if it was his first or one of his first events it'd be all on the organizer or instructor riding shotgun (doesn't seem that way).
Originally Posted by electron mike
LOL are you watching the same video? There is no yellow on the first lap.

Two people passed me on lap 2? Oh nooooo! Did you see I also passed them the next lap? About 30 people would have passed that Senna on the first lap if he had any clue. People like you baffle me, did you not see a long *** train in the video driving miss daisy? There were also many more behind me stuck.

Unbecoming of an advanced driver to post this? Man, you are a super delicate flower.

Where are those "I drive flat out" videos?
They baffle me too. I don't understand how his viewpoint could be so different from mine.

I see a conga line and to me it's always the driver/instructor in front that's the problem. There is only one reasonable expectation; the guy in teh front pulls into the pits and comes out after a talking to on why he didn't let people pass as soon as he was caught. I have never been in a car that has done what this senna has done, and I have instructed in some garbage cars, like a 2000 automatic accord on touring tires or a dodge neon in a group with lots of 500hp cars and have been on track since 2005. If you get caught by a few cars you let a few cars by in the very next passing zone. Simple.

All signs point to an experience and comfort problem so he should be letting every car by instantly as soon as he's caught, and if he's truly as good as he thinks he is he'd have no problems catching them and they'd ideally let him pass instantly as well. I understand not wanting to let people pass on the tail end of a record setting lap, but a record setting lap isn't going to hold people up in the corners and is unlikely to ever hold up more than 1 car for a small portion of the end of the lap.
electron mike (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:03 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I don't understand how his viewpoint could be so different from mine.
I submit this to the court of internets opinion:

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I've bought 9 mclaren's. I've tracked all of them. I currently have 3 of them (senna/p1/600 LT)...

I track frequently at tracks all around California. I, pretty much know the many mclaren owners who track their cars locally, around the country and worldwide (I have a lot of mclaren owners follow me on instagram)....
The following 2 users liked this post by enduro:
electron mike (10-12-2022), Zhao (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:54 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Nice detective work. Unfortunate that his heavy bias enters into his opinion when he should be telling his friend/fellow Senna owner what he did isn't cool. Scanning through some of his other posts he seems like a level headed track guy at a glance too which makes it all the more unfortunate he's defending bad behavior when he should be educating.
electron mike (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

Trains suck, they should not happen in advanced level driving. Open track events where no point by's are required helps avoid some of this, but it still happens.

The Senna driver knew exactly what he was doing, probably thought he was GT racing and visualizing a rolling start
Old 10-12-2022, 03:05 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

I usually pull off into hot pits and ask for a clean reentry to open track

Or, just mix it up

But I do agree flaggers should have gotten his attention