Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Complaint and buy back through PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Thanks! I am seriously thinking about buying one. Is it a major hassle (lots of time) to swap one out with the stock controller prior to visiting a dealer?
its pretty straight forward, the PASM controller is located in the frunk under the liner on the right hand side as you look at it ... just inboard of the headlight, so install is relatively quick & simple, pull the liner, remove the 2x bolts retaining the controller. disconnect the wiring harness ... and reverse ... probably about ~15m

Last edited by Larry Cable; 10-10-2022 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 07:17 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Thanks! I am seriously thinking about buying one. Is it a major hassle (lots of time) to swap one out with the stock controller prior to visiting a dealer?

TPC is ridiculously helpful. Feel free to reach out with any questions you have.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I live about 20 mins away and have had nothing but great experiences with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Ken in San Diego (10-10-2022), Larry Cable (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, I heard great things about the company as well as their products. For my Spyder, it will be a daily (might track it only a few times, if ever), and I read that the DSC controller makes the daily commute much more comfortable for the Spyder.
Larry Cable (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 07:29 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 752 Posts

DSC was the single best track mod I had on my 991.2. The leaning on the curbs was greatly improved, the suspension is softer on base cabs, not ideal for track duties. A bit annoying to uninstall as the space is narrow on a cab, but all other platforms seem to be easy.
I do t think they can read back the module was there. An indirect inference that this many Gs at that yaw rate and speed is not standard yada, yada, yada I guess is possible, but I don't see any geniuses analyzing data for them. It would cost money. Just take it out in case of an expensive powertrain warranty claim.
I unplug everything from my cars when I take it to the dealer. They had the nerve to say that the radar detector plugged in the cigarette lighter was causing Bluetooth interference. I unplugged and the issues remained. Now I take it all out to keep the excuses at bay.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
The cherry on top of that **** sandwich that would have made me go nuclear was that Porsche wouldn’t give him the engine back. Unless he agreed up front in writing that the price for the new engine assumed swap for the original, I would pressed charges for theft.
Zhao (10-12-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

Why would you reject the car over air con issues or a sticky clutch, I don't really understand that. Neither are complex fixes at all. You have a great car that you ordered, you should keep it!

Tuning is pay to play - tune your car, and your warranty is done. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

My GT4 went into the shop with a cracked header from the track, which required a load of vacuum lines and other small bits replacing due to heat. Porsche covered it all no questions asked, and my car is only CPO not original warranty. Tracking your car won't void your warranty.

The following 4 users liked this post by Montaver:
85Gold (10-11-2022), Dr.Bill (10-11-2022), Larry Cable (10-11-2022), SpyderSenseOC (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:33 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
Tuning is pay to play - tune your car, and your warranty is done. This should not be a surprise to anyone.
Perhaps not everyone is used to this approach. One nice thing about some tuners (Dinan comes to mind) is there are some that pick up the warranty where the OEM drops off. My E90 Dinan was that way. Never had to find out the hard way fortunately. Any aftermarket Porsche tuners do the same?
Larry Cable (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgang
Perhaps not everyone is used to this approach. One nice thing about some tuners (Dinan comes to mind) is there are some that pick up the warranty where the OEM drops off. My E90 Dinan was that way. Never had to find out the hard way fortunately. Any aftermarket Porsche tuners do the same?
I had Dinan on a 6, really good stuff.
APR has a program (APR plus?) that they cough it up to 10k. Doesn't go far with Porsche tax.

About warranty, they do something but be prepared as they write something else. Their lingo in their warranty booklet is quite restrictive. I'm glad most have success in their claims.
Go to page 6:

https://files.porsche.com/filestore/...nty-Manual.pdf
Old 10-11-2022, 01:56 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
There is a big human element in everything. It would not so much as be a friendly dealer but a friendly individual that knows a lot about what to do to get stuff approved or denied. That could be the mechanic, advisor, service manager, or in house warranty person who deals with getting stuff approved by the manufacturer (not sure if Porsche daelers are big enough for one but Audi was).

I know with insurance (as well as warranty work for body/paint issues) which on a lot of levels is similar to mechanical warranty work I hold a ton of power on the shop level. I can pretty much push stuff very hard over in one direction or another for what will happen based on what benefits the shop iMO and if the customer is an *** or not. Almost everything gets pushed in the customer's favour because it aligns with what's in my favour, but occasionally I go out of my way to make sure something is denied.

I guarantee the same happens at dealerships, and not saying OP or exMB's link OP is an ***, it just depends what kind of person you're dealing with. Some will bend trees to make bridges for you, and others get off by snapping tree branches in your face, and others just are totally apathetic to what happens. Dealership service advisors can often be on commission and the warranty pay structure for them is potentially different then the owner pay pay structure. What benefits an independent dealer vs a corporate dealer is also very different when it comes to warranty.
Truer words were never spoken. You've spent time in the trenches.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:47 AM
devarenacn
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
Why would you reject the car over air con issues or a sticky clutch, I don't really understand that. Neither are complex fixes at all. You have a great car that you ordered, you should keep it!

My GT4 went into the shop with a cracked header from the track, which required a load of vacuum lines and other small bits replacing due to heat. Porsche covered it all no questions asked, and my car is only CPO not original warranty. Tracking your car won't void your warranty.
These two issues are still ongoing, plus the previous fuel injector issues I’ve been out of the car for almost 2 months the past 10 months of ownership, I just don’t see this particular one being less trouble free down the road.

Obviously I don’t really want to be down a car, but more crucial issue is I don’t want the headache for fixing all the small issues that prevent me from driving a car that I bought, had to cancel 3 track days during the fix for the fuel injectors. I know everyone’s situation is different, but I gotta draw the line somewhere and say enough is enough
The following 2 users liked this post by devarenacn:
Larry Cable (10-11-2022), PaulE (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgang
I came from BMW land also (still own one), BMW shops were actually selling DINAN parts so there was some relationship there. I believe Carbahn which is Steve Dinans new company may have something similar. Never heard of something similar in Porsche, perhaps Manthey (Now Porsche Tequipment) have something?

However these cars are NA, there is only so much a tune will do realistically. The 718 in particular has very aggressive maps from factory to squeeze past the ultra restrictive OPF's. It also has a much more modern ECU that more actively pushes timing more than the old Bosch unit. Hence just deleting the OPF's and putting on less restrictive headers yields great gains on these cars. I don't think they really need to be tuned, certainly not where the cost/benefit is worth losing your powertrain warranty. I have a 981, when I drive my friends 718 PDK on track I am always very impressed with the engine and its power delivery.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:35 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by devarenacn
These two issues are still ongoing, plus the previous fuel injector issues I’ve been out of the car for almost 2 months the past 10 months of ownership, I just don’t see this particular one being less trouble free down the road.

Obviously I don’t really want to be down a car, but more crucial issue is I don’t want the headache for fixing all the small issues that prevent me from driving a car that I bought, had to cancel 3 track days during the fix for the fuel injectors. I know everyone’s situation is different, but I gotta draw the line somewhere and say enough is enough
Totally, I feel your pain. The challenge is just getting parts, not necessarily the complexity of the job. My car was out for nearly 3 months as it took 2 months just to get a stock header and find a new wiring harness.

Just because of these problems, doesn't mean your car is destined to be a lemon. A different car can also bring a whole new set of issues with it. Personally I would let them fix it, drive it over winter and then make a call. Track season is drawing to a close anyway. Just trying to look on the bright side for you
devarenacn (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 11:56 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
DSC was the single best track mod I had on my 991.2. The leaning on the curbs was greatly improved, the suspension is softer on base cabs, not ideal for track duties. A bit annoying to uninstall as the space is narrow on a cab, but all other platforms seem to be easy.
I do t think they can read back the module was there. An indirect inference that this many Gs at that yaw rate and speed is not standard yada, yada, yada I guess is possible, but I don't see any geniuses analyzing data for them. It would cost money. Just take it out in case of an expensive powertrain warranty claim.
I unplug everything from my cars when I take it to the dealer. They had the nerve to say that the radar detector plugged in the cigarette lighter was causing Bluetooth interference. I unplugged and the issues remained. Now I take it all out to keep the excuses at bay.
My previous car, an Alfa Romeo QV, I had the two ECUs tuned. I actually bought seconday ECUs and had those tuned and kept my originals stock. Being that Alfa makes finicky cars it went into the dealer quite a lot and I got good at swapping the ECUs out and actually created and posted the PDF on how to swap them.

My previous 2016 Spyder, I had a Softronic tune which doesn't trip the flash counter and restores the previous file. Can it be detected if a full forensic is done and sensor reading are found to be out of spec? I'm sure they could but it is a risk I was willing to take.
Larry Cable (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:09 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
My previous car, an Alfa Romeo QV, I had the two ECUs tuned. I actually bought seconday ECUs and had those tuned and kept my originals stock. Being that Alfa makes finicky cars it went into the dealer quite a lot and I got good at swapping the ECUs out and actually created and posted the PDF on how to swap them.

My previous 2016 Spyder, I had a Softronic tune which doesn't trip the flash counter and restores the previous file. Can it be detected if a full forensic is done and sensor reading are found to be out of spec? I'm sure they could but it is a risk I was willing to take.
That's funny with the alfa.

Tuning NA engines are usually safer and the 3.8 on your prior car had a long history out there. Even if they did a forensic analysis, it would be difficult to pinpoint. Turbos are easy - psi and ignition point. The superficial flash count is not tripped but according to the dealer, the factory analysis counts how often the ECU was flashed after 1000 miles (I have no idea why this number). I know the dealer can't see a tune bc my old car was sold with a tune and they could not see it (new owner could not get the car to pass emissions). He also told me a case that a dude was driving a GT3 in the desert, went over a bump and the wheels were in the air for a bit, enough for the car to increase the revs. When it landed, the PDK over-revved and damaged the engine, leaving bits and pieces behind (yes, it's possible to over-rev PDK). They knew exactly how fast he was going and what happened and did not pay for it.
bham (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 05:28 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The cherry on top of that **** sandwich that would have made me go nuclear was that Porsche wouldn’t give him the engine back. Unless he agreed up front in writing that the price for the new engine assumed swap for the original, I would pressed charges for theft.
I'm the OP from the post about the engine failure. I later learned that the $25k was the discount price including returning the "engine core" back to Germany. It would have been even higher otherwise. Expensive life lesson. I've since steered many people away from that corporate dealer. I've heard of others having a bad time with them too, although not to my extent.
Zhao (10-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Complaint and buy back through PCNA