Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Homelink Garage Door Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Richardkun
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smithsonga
I have new Genie.

would you mind breaking down the steps that made you successful? I gave up.

would appreciate it.
Just follow the exact instructions given in the Porsche manual. That's what I did.

One thing the manual doesn't tell you is that you have to go on the Genie website and follow the instructions to get the garage opener remote to be in programming mode (different for every brand - very, very important step). If you skipped that step, the programming will work once or twice then stop working suddenly and make you want to pull your hair out.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:52 PM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardkun
Just follow the exact instructions given in the Porsche manual. That's what I did.

One thing the manual doesn't tell you is that you have to go on the Genie website and follow the instructions to get the garage opener remote to be in programming mode (different for every brand - very, very important step). If you skipped that step, the programming will work once or twice then stop working suddenly and make you want to pull your hair out.
yeah I didn’t go to genie site. I’ll do that. Thx.

I find it strange to walk to front of car and point remote when I can open my garage door from 4 houses away.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Richardkun
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smithsonga
yeah I didn’t go to genie site. I’ll do that. Thx.

I find it strange to walk to front of car and point remote when I can open my garage door from 4 houses away.
Honestly, I got tired of walking to the front of the car after doing it so many times. You are correct to say so. I actually stayed inside the driver's seat to program. I think they are being a bit too conservative for this step.

Edit: Don't be surprised if the range of the Homelink is only about 25 feet. I have to be touching my driveway before it will open my garage. Has been working for over a year now without any faults. Good luck.

Last edited by Richardkun; 10-07-2022 at 02:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richardkun:
Odin (10-09-2022), PaulE (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:07 PM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Honestly, I got tired of walking to the front of the car after doing it so many times. You are correct to say so. I actually stayed inside the driver's seat to program. I think they are being a bit too conservative for this step.

Edit: Don't be surprised if the range of the Homelink is only about 25 feet. I have to be touching my driveway before it will open my garage. Has been working for over a year now without any faults. Good luck.
thanks !
Old 10-07-2022, 02:16 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Honestly, the Homelink on my Boxster 25 Years has been my easiest car to program in over 25 years.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:56 PM
TripleL
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents to the above. Not sure why it made a difference to me but hope that may help some folks.

A long time ago when I was having a problem programming HomeLink it was suggested that I drive to a place well out of range off the door openers to program the car then return home and complete the rolling code steps if necessary. It worked then and since then that is the way I've always programmed the buttons with no issues.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:56 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

I like your attitude, that's awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Odin (10-09-2022)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:33 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Today after a few hours of not getting the homelink to work finally boom slam dunk I'm in
Old 05-28-2024, 05:47 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

https://www.718forum.com/threads/the...1/#post-302207

FWIW...LED bulbs create RFI during programming.

Jim
Old 06-26-2024, 09:39 PM
fueler11
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got my 718 to program. I did have the rolling code system and in the owners manual it tells you what to look for should the garage door opener by a rolling code style. After what seemed like an hour, to get it to finally program correctly I had to go to the garage door motor unit and hit the set button, within 30 seconds go back into the car and hit the button I wanted to use to open/close the door. But that button in the car had to be preset to get coded. Only had to do that one time and the programming took and worked fine.

For me, I'd of learned sooner to hold the garage door remote button down, for about 5 seconds, in order for the turn signals to flash signaling that the car is trying to program. The owners manual even said to hold the remote button down but I skipped past that the first few times.

Last edited by fueler11; 06-26-2024 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door Programming