Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Manual, life shouldn't be too easy I did my 7:14 with a DSC controller and the car did not handle the bumps at all. Only later I learned that you need stock PASM for the Ring.

My youtube account is JCviggen1 some laps on there.

I went to 991.2 GT3 manual now, curious to try it on track.
Great choice … I am looking at 991.2 Tourings sometimes… but crazy prices now

A Spyder RS would really thick all the boxes … except one (the stick)
Old 10-06-2022, 03:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Very very similar, the Gt4 seems a bit more planted over the curbs, on the Spyder you feel tyres squealing harder and the wind noise.
Also the Spyder is a couple of km/h faster down the straights thanks to no rear wing.
Honestly I didn’t feel the help of the rear wing driving a Gt4 on fast bends but I felt it on the straight flatout jumps at Schwedencreuz (+++) and Plantzgarten 2 (+). The Spyder is a bit scary there, even more if the fuel tank is full.
More rebound in the dampers would maybe help.

Never driven a Gts but (if it’s on 235-265) the main difference I think it’s the grip…
Porsche definitely under damped the rebound on the GT4/Spyder
Old 10-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Manual, life shouldn't be too easy I did my 7:14 with a DSC controller and the car did not handle the bumps at all. Only later I learned that you need stock PASM for the Ring.

My youtube account is JCviggen1 some laps on there.

I went to 991.2 GT3 manual now, curious to try it on track.
So are you saying with the DSC controller (DSC GT4/Spyder file or custom?) and set to Chassis Sport it didn't handle the bumps and you should have left the DSC in Chassis Normal,,, or are you saying use the OEM PASM controller?
Old 10-06-2022, 06:08 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So are you saying with the DSC controller (DSC GT4/Spyder file or custom?) and set to Chassis Sport it didn't handle the bumps and you should have left the DSC in Chassis Normal,,, or are you saying use the OEM PASM controller?
On the Nurburgring, the DSC made the car bad in either Normal or Sport mode. The dampers couldn't keep up, the car was bouncing and skipping on the old surface. It was OK on newly paved bits.

On all other tracks I drove I liked the DSC. But it did not work on the Ring. Given that most people don't drive there, it's not a big deal. Perhaps it explains why PASM kinda sucks on most tracks, they set it up for the Ring lol

I assume that if a knowledgeable suspension engineer started from scratch with the DSC they could make a map that works. But it was so far off that I didn't bother and just swapped controllers, only 5 mins work.

Last edited by JCviggen; 10-06-2022 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 06:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

On the Nurburgring, the DSC made the car bad in either Normal or Sport mode. The dampers couldn't keep up, the car was bouncing and skipping on the old surface. It was OK on newly paved bits.

On all other tracks I drove I liked the DSC. But it did not work on the Ring. Given that most people don't drive there, it's not a big deal. Perhaps it explains why PASM kinda sucks on most tracks, they set it up for the Ring lol

I assume that if a knowledgeable suspension engineer started from scratch with the DSC they could make a map that works. But it was so far off that I didn't bother and just swapped controllers, only 5 mins work.
Got it, interesting outcome for the DSC controller at the Ring... I have it in my Spyder, and agree it seems to work very well everywhere I go.
The following users liked this post:
vrae2009 (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 04:09 AM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Saw your lap 👍🏼💪🏼 you also had different springs if I understand well.
Also different tyres so difficult to compare … it doesn’t seem much more nervous than mine from your POV camera and for sure you have higher cornering speeds in some fast bends where I struggle like at Flugplatz !
Also easy 240+ up the Kesselchen 😵
And what a sound!
Great driver and great car!
Old 10-07-2022, 04:53 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Saw your lap 👍🏼💪🏼 you also had different springs if I understand well.
Also different tyres so difficult to compare … it doesn’t seem much more nervous than mine from your POV camera
It's hard to see on video yeah But there is a lap in August where I follow the well known 718 MR around and that's with the car on stock PASM. The car had also been aligned by Manthey at that point which had made the car even more nervous and pointy with the DSC. A good place to look is the fast right kink before Steilstrecke. I went through there a lot faster in Aug (180+) with no hint of oversteer but in May the rear would snap there every time if going 175+

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG