Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 04:35 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Here another fake lap following a Gt3 RS WP
The following 6 users liked this post by Mr.Brick:
alwaysdriving (09-28-2022), daaa nope (10-06-2022), Mr. Adair (09-26-2022), RealityGT (10-06-2022), StormRune (10-04-2022), Underblu (09-27-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP's video looks 100% real. Not sure what some of you are seeing. Did you click on settings to improve the video quality?
Speaking for myself I did not change the resolution to a higher quality. Clearly I should have!
Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Last Tuesday I had the chance to jump from my Spyder into the brand new Gt4RS of a friend to make a couple of laps, the racetrack was partially wet but I could drive flat out here and there.

My impressions: mega interior sound with the WP, a bit more composed damping (the main dynamic difference I could notice), some power to weight advantage (honestly less than I thought…maybe because we were 2 onboard), missed the manual gearbox, more or less exactly the same chassis limits at high speeds (nervous back end and it jumps a bit over ondulations)

In the real world I wouldn’t expect BTG laptimes faster than 8-10 seconds compared to a PDK Gt4 on the same tyres
Porsche just gives the Cayman platform crappy PASM damping. If they would just look at the damping curves that MCS or KW uses, the Cayman platform would be a lot better.

There is a huge difference in the cars composure when fitted with proper high-end dampers, it just baffles my mind that with all their testing and R&D on the Ring that these are the damping curves they selected, it has to be the Cayman Complex at play, or their suspension tuning engineers really do suck.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:21 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

Were you also on the DN days before MR day? I think I saw your car, Italian plates?

Amazing laps, one day I hope to drive like that!

PS - no doubt your footage is real

Last edited by rost12; 09-26-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:59 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Porsche just gives the Cayman platform crappy PASM damping. If they would just look at the damping curves that MCS or KW uses, the Cayman platform would be a lot better.

There is a huge difference in the cars composure when fitted with proper high-end dampers, it just baffles my mind that with all their testing and R&D on the Ring that these are the damping curves they selected, it has to be the Cayman Complex at play, or their suspension tuning engineers really do suck.
very interesting to know…
Old 09-27-2022, 12:00 AM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by rost12
Were you also on the DN days before MR day? I think I saw your car, Italian plates?

Amazing laps, one day I hope to drive like that!

PS - no doubt your footage is real
Yes it was me … thank you mate
Old 09-27-2022, 12:43 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 374 Posts

Maybe they’re just trying to make the car have way more character and fun

my 991.2 gt3rs was so good it was almost boring lol
Old 09-27-2022, 01:35 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

You're a great driver and very good vids to watch. I was genuinely surprised how little difference 100 bhp made with the .2 3 RS performance in a car that was obviously well driven too. I would have expected a substantial gain out of the slower corners and elsewhere too.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:08 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Here another fake lap following a Gt3 RS WP
https://youtu.be/Dwlhbec-WIk
Great driving
I wonder what the guy in the GT3 RS WP was thinking with you on his tail like that despite his 100 extra horses, a whole lot more downforce and a multilink rear setup. This clearly shows despite the complaints of a few on this forum that the 718 Spyder/GT4 is an incredibly capable platform when skillfully driven.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:35 AM
Underblu
Banned

Crappy, Really? still complaining about the suspension of a car that just pulled a 7.17 on the Ring by highly talented driver. This clearly proves that the 718 is an incredibly capable platform when driven skillfully, surpassing cars with double wishbone, multilink, magnetorheolgical etc, setups. Mr. Brick and the reviewers got it right about the GT4/Spyder. Want to go fast with minimal drama. I’d highly recommend the latest Mclaren. But you wont get that flat 6 wail or a car that feels alive rather than a part of a video game

Afaic, anyone who needs more than what’s on tap in the 718 Platform should be as skillful as the OP. Driving lessons and track time to understand the 718 dynamic envelop would be better spent than thousands in suspension upgrades. And you mentioned you’re driving on the street. While I’m sure we all enjoy enthusiastic driving, pushing any car to 10/10ths on the street where these “suspension improvements” might bare some dividends strikes me as irresponsible. At 7/10ths or even 8/10ths, I don’t think there are many cars as capable and fun as the GT4/Spyder for back road / canyon romps

Bravo to the OP Mr. Brick for that brilliant Nordschliefe time!

Last edited by Underblu; 09-27-2022 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:49 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
Crappy, Really? still complaining about the suspension of a car that just pulled a 7.17 on the Ring by highly talented driver. This clearly proves that the 718 is an incredibly capable platform when driven skillfully, surpassing cars with double wishbone, multilink, magnetorheolgical etc, setups. Mr. Brick and the reviewers got it right about the GT4/Spyder. Want to go fast with minimal drama. I’d highly recommend the latest Mclaren. But you wont get that flat 6 wail or a car that feels alive rather than a part of a video game

Afaic, anyone who needs more than what’s on tap in the 718 Platform should be as skillful as the OP. Driving lessons and track time to understand the 718 dynamic envelop would be better spent than thousands in suspension upgrades. And you mentioned you’re driving on the street. While I’m sure we all enjoy enthusiastic driving, pushing any car to 10/10ths on the street where these “suspension improvements” might bare some dividends strikes me as highly irresponsible. At 7/10ths or even 8/10ths, I don’t think there are many cars as capable and fun as the GT4/Spyder for back road / canyon romps

Lap times are one thing, how a car feels while getting there is more important to me, than actually getting that lap time, but that is just me as I am not a race car driver. And yes, I would choose a less drama McLaren that goes fast if I could afford one, but that is what I value in a sports car. I prefer a well sorted car than one that is on the raged edge and a hand full. Also keep in mind that I have no issues with the stock GT4 suspension on smooth roads, it was a dream when the roads were good. It when you throw in dips, bumps, undulations, and broken pavement that it fell apart.

In regards to the street, I never drive at 10/10ths on the street when carving up a back road. The only time I am close to 10/10th of grip are on my few select on/off ramps that I know well and only when I am the only car on it, and even then I am probably really only at 8.5 to 9/10ths as the stability control system never engages and the car is not sliding at all.

Also, with my current set-up the car is pretty damn good now most of the time and confident inspiring, which it was not stock.

Last edited by TRZ06; 09-27-2022 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:57 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu

Afaic, anyone who needs more than what’s on tap in the 718 Platform should be as skillful as the OP. Driving lessons and track time to understand the 718 dynamic envelop would be better spent than thousands in suspension upgrades. And you mentioned you’re driving on the street. While I’m sure we all enjoy enthusiastic driving, pushing any car to 10/10ths on the street where these “suspension improvements” might bare some dividends strikes me as highly irresponsible. At 7/10ths or even 8/10ths, I don’t think there are many cars as capable and fun as the GT4/Spyder for back road / canyon romps

TRZ06 has a use case for his GT4, and speaks his truth. I don't agree with his opinion, but that's okay. I give him a lot of credit for actually buying the car, and doing everything he can to tune it to his liking. He has a right to his criticism. But I agree that blanket statements like "crappy", based on one's personal experience is certainly not representative of everyone's experience.

I live in the Bay Area, and I drive on mountain roads and use my car on the street. My GT4 was also purchased as a car to enjoy on track, which is where I believe GT cars are designed and engineered for, first and foremost. Smooth roads? Yes. I have no suspension complaints, and there are plenty of GT4s that put in stellar times on our local tracks.

A pro driver in our community of enthusiasts also recently just came back from a few days driving both the 992 GT3 and GT4 RS on Spa and Nurburgring, and preferred the GT4 RS. Doesn't mean it's better...or worse. Everyone has their own preferences.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 03:04 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KelvinC
TRZ06 has a use case for his GT4, and speaks his truth. I don't agree with his opinion, but that's okay. I give him a lot of credit for actually buying the car, and doing everything he can to tune it to his liking. He has a right to his criticism. But I agree that blanket statements like "crappy", based on one's personal experience is certainly not representative of everyone's experience.

I live in the Bay Area, and I drive on mountain roads and use my car on the street. My GT4 was also purchased as a car to enjoy on track, which is where I believe GT cars are designed and engineered for, first and foremost. Smooth roads? Yes. I have no suspension complaints, and there are plenty of GT4s that put in stellar times on our local tracks.

A pro driver in our community of enthusiasts also recently just came back from a few days driving both the 992 GT3 and GT4 RS on Spa and Nurburgring, and preferred the GT4 RS. Doesn't mean it's better...or worse. Everyone has their own preferences.

Yes, I edited my post. On smooth roads, I had no complaints, but since you are in the Bay Area, roads like HWY 87 and parts of 880 in SJ made the stock car very unsettled at speed.

Here is a specific one for ya... Northbound 101 to HWY 85 junction, has a bump on the sweeper that most cars take at around 70 MPH. With the stock suspension when I hit that bump, the rebound would fully extend hit the stops and there was a lot of side load motions from the rear.

Last edited by TRZ06; 09-27-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:26 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

Yes, I edited my post. On smooth roads, I had no complaints, but since you are in the Bay Area, roads like HWY 87 and parts of 880 in SJ made the stock car very unsettled at speed.
I suppose I never really push the car "at speed" on freeways to a point where I need to be concerned about suspension compliance. It's mostly pretty boring stuff and one would have to be pushing pretty damn hard to get a thrill on a freeway to unsettle the car.

But your use case is different than mine. I hope you will be up to bringing your car on track someday...it's really a great way to enjoy your GT car. With the right organization, it's a great feeling of camaraderie and respect just being out there...everyone trying to get smoother, faster, and (for some), improving their times. I know it's not for everyone, but it's an environment where GT3s and GT4s really shine.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:42 AM
Underblu
Banned

I by-in-large agree with your post.

I didn’t mean to come across as harsh and yes, TRZ06 has the right to his opinion. I also appreciate his numerous very well written posts where he shares with us the modifications he’s made to his GT4. I even concur that the rear end of the Spyder can be a bit lively under hard braking. Where I disagree and offer a counterpoint is his inferences that the 718 is somehow a second rate platform with a subpar or “crappy” suspension. It’s also hard for me to imagine how you are going to use up the GT4/Spyders grip on the street.

Many years ago I had an 84 Targa. It was not an easy car to drive fast but if you understood it’s dynamic envelope you could use some of its “less desirable” characteristics to your advantage especially around corners where a little induced oversteer could give you a better line. The Spyder/GT4 is much easier to drive fast. If it shares some rawness with these air cooled cars maybe that’a actually a good thing. The numbers it can put up in the hands of skilled driver prove its overall brilliance quite strongly.

Originally Posted by KelvinC

Last edited by Underblu; 09-27-2022 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG