Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022 | 10:32 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Yes, my mistake his GT4 is essentially an MR with the mods you spoke of. That said, please explain why the video looks the way it does? Why it doesn't look like real footage?
Don’t know what you see wrong in the footage… that’s how RaceChrono App films with an IPhone 13.
They’re 720p 60fps; than there’s the graphics overlay and YouTube adaptation.
I’m definitely not a video expert but I am not fake…
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr.Brick:
alwaysdriving (09-28-2022), cafe_racer (09-25-2022), Growler48 (10-07-2022)
Old 09-25-2022 | 11:03 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Well this took a weird turn LMAO. Who would waste time faking a lap time video lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Growler48 (10-07-2022), P-car-Vancouver (10-07-2022), Z06jerry (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022 | 11:12 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Anyway my laps are good … and you’re missing the difference between a Gt4, a Spyder and a Gt4 RS … it’s not because it’s faster than you think it could be possible that a video must be fake 👽
Official laptime for my car (718 Spyder manual) is 7.30 on 20.4 km that’s equal to 7.12 btg.
What are the known BTG times for the GT4 / 4RS if the Spyder is 7:12 BTG with a professional?
Old 09-26-2022 | 07:39 AM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by cooler2442
What are the known BTG times for the GT4 / 4RS if the Spyder is 7:12 BTG with a professional?
According to YouTube the fastest Gt4 BTG lap is 7.12 (non pro driver) but that car is PDK and has a full MR package including BBS wheels.

The same car did 7.13 with worn Cup2R and a pro driver (very hot weather).

Stock fastest manuals are between 7.17 (my Spyder) and 7.20-22.

There’s a fast 7.14 of a manual Gt4 also very very well driven but it has full custom exhaust mods (+20-30 hp) and wears Yokos A052 which are said to be faster than TrofeoRs and much fatster than Cup2s.

According To Porsche the Gt4 is 2 seconds quicker than the Spyder by itself; PDK is said to be 6 seconds faster per lap (from the old 997.2 days at its debut).

We still don’t have very fast customer’s lap videos of Gt4RSs; we could take as example CG’s from SportAuto super test but he’s a semi-pro. That 7.16 on 20.4 km equals to a 6.58 btg and is pretty disappointing in my opinion (official Bergmeister record is 7.46 btg) as that car is on Cup2Rs which should be 10 seconds faster than the Cup2s. Maybe the track was partially damp on the day of Sport Auto test. Or the McPherson scheme can work well up to about 450hp… over that power you need more engineering and wider tyres to take advantage of the extra power from the Gt3 engine. Probably it’s a combination of both factors…

Last edited by Mr.Brick; 09-26-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2022 | 12:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ideal time on RaceChrono was 7.13 😅

Wonder what I could see with some proper Cup2R 😈 in another lucky zero traffic lap

+ exhaust and suspension mods it would go under 7 … greatest all purpose car ever in my opinion !
Incredible driving, congratulations on that run!

Amazing, it was like you were alone on the Ring... ?
Old 09-26-2022 | 01:12 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Epic lap, and thanks for sharing!

Also for reference, the fastest BTG lap I've seen from Manthey in a GT4 is a 7:03–7:04 with Pro driver Christoph Breuer in a GT4 w/ PDK and MR package on Cup 2 tires. It's a great platform for sure.

Last edited by KelvinC; 09-26-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2022 | 01:53 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Well this took a weird turn LMAO. Who would waste time faking a lap time video lol.
See below, I'll explain..
Old 09-26-2022 | 02:22 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

According to YouTube the fastest Gt4 BTG lap is 7.12 (non pro driver) but that car is PDK and has a full MR package including BBS wheels.

The same car did 7.13 with worn Cup2R and a pro driver (very hot weather).

Stock fastest manuals are between 7.17 (my Spyder) and 7.20-22.

There’s a fast 7.14 of a manual Gt4 also very very well driven but it has full custom exhaust mods (+20-30 hp) and wears Yokos A052 which are said to be faster than TrofeoRs and much fatster than Cup2s.

According To Porsche the Gt4 is 2 seconds quicker than the Spyder by itself; PDK is said to be 6 seconds faster per lap (from the old 997.2 days at its debut).

We still don’t have very fast customer’s lap videos of Gt4RSs; we could take as example CG’s from SportAuto super test but he’s a semi-pro. That 7.16 on 20.4 km equals to a 6.58 btg and is pretty disappointing in my opinion (official Bergmeister record is 7.46 btg) as that car is on Cup2Rs which should be 10 seconds faster than the Cup2s. Maybe the track was partially damp on the day of Sport Auto test. Or the McPherson scheme can work well up to about 450hp… over that power you need more engineering and wider tyres to take advantage of the extra power from the Gt3 engine. Probably it’s a combination of both factors…
Thank you for the added information and my apologies on the fake video comment. It's why I said "I hope" I'm wrong. For those who are wondering, there are tons of high quality video game laps like Assetto Corsa that are so real you need to look more than closely to tell the difference and I have been fooled many times. Comparatively speaking your lap footage looks very different than say the footage from manufacturer footage etc. I'm not a video expert per se either and maybe it's the resolution? The YouTube conversion? But it's different. In your opinion whether it's a full lap or a BTG lap how much better should a 4RS lap be than a GT4 lap in your opinion? The extra 100 hp is significant and a Ring lap can be very power oriented. For example the Xthilox lap with the 4RS was interesting in that on the longer straights it walks away from the GT4 pretty easily. Is this all related to the extra cornering speed of the MR package and driver? Well done on your lap, I'm happy for you and I'm also impressed at that time. Kudos.
Old 09-26-2022 | 03:45 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Anyway my laps are good … and you’re missing the difference between a Gt4, a Spyder and a Gt4 RS … it’s not because it’s faster than you think it could be possible that a video must be fake 👽
Official laptime for my car (718 Spyder manual) is 7.30 on 20.4 km that’s equal to 7.12 btg.
I used to get annoyed when people called BS on something I wasn't lying about. 'no way youre that fast in the corners on cut springs and factory shocks', 'that car is highly modified'. 'post the data you were faster in the corners than the cup cars'. I look back at the callouts knowing the truth and they're quite fond memories now because I think rewriting someone's reality or going so far outside of their box on what they think is possible that they have to assume it's a fabrication to keep it together mentally is the highest praise... even though it's not meant to be. It also only took a handful of corners watching your video to tell you have skill.

I also read mr. adiar's first post before watching the video and was like hmm, I wonder why he thinks it's fake, sped up time? frames removed? lets see! ...After watching it for a bit I was like hmm, doesn't badly edited at a glance. I wonder if he thinks it's from a video game as it looks degraded and very videogameish quality in parts. Then I read the rest of the thread and saw his post claiming just that and was like ok haha I can see why he thinks it could be fake.I don't think I can fault him for that as most people don't record videos with a potato anymore .
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:16 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Thank you for the added information and my apologies on the fake video comment. It's why I said "I hope" I'm wrong. For those who are wondering, there are tons of high quality video game laps like Assetto Corsa that are so real you need to look more than closely to tell the difference and I have been fooled many times. Comparatively speaking your lap footage looks very different than say the footage from manufacturer footage etc. I'm not a video expert per se either and maybe it's the resolution? The YouTube conversion? But it's different. In your opinion whether it's a full lap or a BTG lap how much better should a 4RS lap be than a GT4 lap in your opinion? The extra 100 hp is significant and a Ring lap can be very power oriented. For example the Xthilox lap with the 4RS was interesting in that on the longer straights it walks away from the GT4 pretty easily. Is this all related to the extra cornering speed of the MR package and driver? Well done on your lap, I'm happy for you and I'm also impressed at that time. Kudos.
Last Tuesday I had the chance to jump from my Spyder into the brand new Gt4RS of a friend to make a couple of laps, the racetrack was partially wet but I could drive flat out here and there.

My impressions: mega interior sound with the WP, a bit more composed damping (the main dynamic difference I could notice), some power to weight advantage (honestly less than I thought…maybe because we were 2 onboard), missed the manual gearbox, more or less exactly the same chassis limits at high speeds (nervous back end and it jumps a bit over ondulations)

In the real world I wouldn’t expect BTG laptimes faster than 8-10 seconds compared to a PDK Gt4 on the same tyres

Last edited by Mr.Brick; 09-26-2022 at 04:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Brick:
Mr. Adair (09-26-2022), welikethetrack (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:21 PM
Sharm
Pro

On the subject of Nurburgring lap times, has anyone seen any times on the Corvette C8 Z06 yet?
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

OP's video looks 100% real. Not sure what some of you are seeing. Did you click on settings to improve the video quality?

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:24 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Incredible driving, congratulations on that run!

Amazing, it was like you were alone on the Ring... ?
🙏🏼 Yes it was one of 2-3 laps of the day with no traffic at all… many were having lunch at that time 😅
Westcoast (10-04-2022)
Old 09-26-2022 | 04:25 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zhao
I used to get annoyed when people called BS on something I wasn't lying about. 'no way youre that fast in the corners on cut springs and factory shocks', 'that car is highly modified'. 'post the data you were faster in the corners than the cup cars'. I look back at the callouts knowing the truth and they're quite fond memories now because I think rewriting someone's reality or going so far outside of their box on what they think is possible that they have to assume it's a fabrication to keep it together mentally is the highest praise... even though it's not meant to be. It also only took a handful of corners watching your video to tell you have skill.

I also read mr. adiar's first post before watching the video and was like hmm, I wonder why he thinks it's fake, sped up time? frames removed? lets see! ...After watching it for a bit I was like hmm, doesn't badly edited at a glance. I wonder if he thinks it's from a video game as it looks degraded and very videogameish quality in parts. Then I read the rest of the thread and saw his post claiming just that and was like ok haha I can see why he thinks it could be fake.I don't think I can fault him for that as most people don't record videos with a potato anymore .
Thank you for this. I meant no harm and am not the guy who wants to tear down others accomplishments. I have watched more Ring footage than I care to admit. It just looked off...

Old 09-26-2022 | 04:28 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP's video looks 100% real. Not sure what some of you are seeing. Did you click on settings to improve the video quality?
That is how it comes filming with an IPhone 13 and RaceChrono App… you can choose the resolution and I set it “low” 720p 60fps not to have troubles when uploading on YouTube… I am very lazy with action cams, processing, uploading… iPhone is the easiest and fastest way to have a footage : )
Mr. Adair (09-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Nurburgring Fast Lap - 7.17 BTG