Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL VES finally installed today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 04:53 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts
Default SOUL VES finally installed today...

I started with the OAPs when I picked the car up.. they made a very noticeable difference....tive been on the fence about the SOUL exhaust, its a pretty big investment.

I took the car out for a long ride today after the install, here are my thoughts on adding the exhaust…

• its louder/smoother at idle... has a great opening rumble

• you pick up more of that ‘mechanical’ noise/ticking below 1000RPM that you hear folks talk about.

• as you rev through the RPMs it had a smoother and more dynamic tone… higher pitch... very sweet sounding for sure from 4-8K.. love that

• in general it is ‘boomier’ below 4K and you do get a bit more drone now

So, did it blow my sock off.. not really, but I really do like the improvements in tone and refinement from just the OAPs...I had kind of suspected that after asking a lot of people about what their take on it was...I knew there was only one way to find out, pull the trigger. I also was thinking I would want the valve controller. I currently have the valves pinned wide open all the time. IMO, you dont need it, its loud, but not at all obnoxious and if you're like me... first thing I always did on my 981S when I hopped in was push the PSE and sport buttons on!

Funny the install actually was easy.. fitting the damn exhaust tips back on was the only struggle! 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by AtoB:
Avera (09-28-2022), Thefullsend (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Thefullsend
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AtoB
I started with the OAPs when I picked the car up.. they made a very noticeable difference....tive been on the fence about the SOUL exhaust, its a pretty big investment.

I took the car out for a long ride today after the install, here are my thoughts on adding the exhaust…

• its louder/smoother at idle... has a great opening rumble

• you pick up more of that ‘mechanical’ noise/ticking below 1000RPM that you hear folks talk about.

• as you rev through the RPMs it had a smoother and more dynamic tone… higher pitch... very sweet sounding for sure from 4-8K.. love that

• in general it is ‘boomier’ below 4K and you do get a bit more drone now

So, did it blow my sock off.. not really, but I really do like the improvements in tone and refinement from just the OAPs...I had kind of suspected that after asking a lot of people about what their take on it was...I knew there was only one way to find out, pull the trigger. I also was thinking I would want the valve controller. I currently have the valves pinned wide open all the time. IMO, you dont need it, its loud, but not at all obnoxious and if you're like me... first thing I always did on my 981S when I hopped in was push the PSE and sport buttons on!

Funny the install actually was easy.. fitting the damn exhaust tips back on was the only struggle! 😉
Glad you like it! It’s an incredible sounding exhaust that delivers well on the GT sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thefullsend:
alwaysdriving (09-28-2022), AtoB (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 06:07 PM
landsteam
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AtoB
I started with the OAPs when I picked the car up.. they made a very noticeable difference...
I should be picking up my car next month, did replacing the OAPs cause increased drone?
I plan on leaving the stock exhaust control.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:12 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by landsteam
I should be picking up my car next month, did replacing the OAPs cause increased drone?
I plan on leaving the stock exhaust control.
I didnt really notice much additional drone.. you cant go wrong with the OAPs
Old 09-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

If drone sensitive, I suggest their resonated OAPs, they reduce drone, both with stock box and the VES.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh_357:
Larry Cable (09-25-2022), UncleDude (09-24-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 05:18 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Thefullsend
Glad you like it! It’s an incredible sounding exhaust that delivers well on the GT sound.
was same setup as you with same opbservation, i added Catless headers and the drone is noticable but to me is still ok to live with since the power bump was worth it to me and sound is like a thunder hit between gears especially when shifting mid rpms lower
Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

@AtoB

Thank you for sharing your experience . . . glad you are enjoying your SOUL OAPs/rear section

In the write-up you indicate you have the valves 'pinned open.' I assume via a shaft collar? Regardless, you also mention (1) some 'boomy drone' below 4K RPM and (2) the first thing you do when you jump in the car is hit the PSE and Sport buttons.

As has been previously pointed out elsewhere in this forum, drone can be attenuated with PSE button; PSE controls the Sound Symposer, which is a big contributor to what many perceive as 'boomy' cabin drone

If you have exhaust valves held open, then the PSE button serves no purpose other than to turn on/off the Sound Symposer.

I believe my above comments regarding shaft collar stand true with any other form of valve control (SOUL/Cargraphic, wiring, plugging vacuum line, etc)? Regardless, if you find the drone intrusive, then there is really no reason to ever activate PSE button.

Of course, the Sound Symposer is not the only source of drone, particularly when one starts tinkering with the OAPs. However, the Sound Symposer is a source of the 'thunderous' or 'boomy' drone I equate to opening only a single window in modern car cabins. What many describe as 'higher resonance drone' seems to be more often related to OAP modification, and tends to occur higher in the rev range (e.g., around 4K RPMP) than the 'boomy' drone.

So, if one modifies the OAPs I can see advantage for having a valve controller/shaft collar because it allows you to keep the Sound Symposer turned off, attenuating at least one component of cabin drone.

Avera

Old 09-28-2022, 12:29 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
@AtoB

Thank you for sharing your experience . . . glad you are enjoying your SOUL OAPs/rear section

In the write-up you indicate you have the valves 'pinned open.' I assume via a shaft collar? Regardless, you also mention (1) some 'boomy drone' below 4K RPM and (2) the first thing you do when you jump in the car is hit the PSE and Sport buttons.

As has been previously pointed out elsewhere in this forum, drone can be attenuated with PSE button; PSE controls the Sound Symposer, which is a big contributor to what many perceive as 'boomy' cabin drone

If you have exhaust valves held open, then the PSE button serves no purpose other than to turn on/off the Sound Symposer.

I believe my above comments regarding shaft collar stand true with any other form of valve control (SOUL/Cargraphic, wiring, plugging vacuum line, etc)? Regardless, if you find the drone intrusive, then there is really no reason to ever activate PSE button.

Of course, the Sound Symposer is not the only source of drone, particularly when one starts tinkering with the OAPs. However, the Sound Symposer is a source of the 'thunderous' or 'boomy' drone I equate to opening only a single window in modern car cabins. What many describe as 'higher resonance drone' seems to be more often related to OAP modification, and tends to occur higher in the rev range (e.g., around 4K RPMP) than the 'boomy' drone.

So, if one modifies the OAPs I can see advantage for having a valve controller/shaft collar because it allows you to keep the Sound Symposer turned off, attenuating at least one component of cabin drone.

Avera
so, yes... I have my valves set to fully open. there was some drone with just the OAPs.. the VES added a bit more...but it is a subjective thing... yes I noticed it, but its pretty minor and doesn't bother me at all
The following users liked this post:
Avera (09-28-2022)

Quick Reply: SOUL VES finally installed today...