Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWBS) Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023 | 03:21 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

The dealer sounded genuinely very disappointed for me, I’m not paying an ADM but the cars in Aus are already very expensive from taxes A$275 with a conservative spec.
I have asked him to talk to management for a firm commitment on a 4RS pending they get a handful of MY24 allocations.
Failing that I’ll either go onto the 2nd hand car market or buy a race seat and a harness bar for it. Neither options are ideal but as they say, first world problems…
Old 01-20-2023 | 03:34 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prime
The dealer sounded genuinely very disappointed for me, I’m not paying an ADM but the cars in Aus are already very expensive from taxes A$275 with a conservative spec.
I have asked him to talk to management for a firm commitment on a 4RS pending they get a handful of MY24 allocations.
Failing that I’ll either go onto the 2nd hand car market or buy a race seat and a harness bar for it. Neither options are ideal but as they say, first world problems…
possible to get the gt4 and then get a 4rs allocation and trade the gt4 in for it? Maybe the best of all the options.
Old 01-20-2023 | 08:16 PM
goretexpretzels
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magnetic K
I posted a similar reply in another thread about LWBS:

For an RS, my view is that the LWBS are the correct seat for such an aggressive sports car. There is no way I would spec an RS without the LWBS, given the persona of the RS. As for my LWBS, initially, I found them uncomfortable given the lack of lumbar support and upright position. The Sparco lumbar spine cushion inserts are a great inexpensive fix. After putting these in, I find the LWBS fine as a driver. I enjoy the LWBS as the driver, even on long drives. However, I do not like to sit in the LWBS as a passenger. After a while, I find the upright position uncomfortable as a passenger, but not as the driver. I will need to look into the TrakSpec seat recliner brackets to tilt the seats back into a more comfortable position, especially helpful with a race helmet.

For a non RS Porsche, I would spec the seats for the purpose of the vehicle, desires and budget. I do agree that the LWBS look great in any Porsche. The LWBS are a desirable option for resale but really, one is buying the Porsche for oneself, not for someone else.

For my Spyder, I chose sofas for the following reasons:
- Heated seats: I live in the cold Northeast. So, I needed heated seats to extend the top down driving season to include the early spring and late autumn. The heated seats are mandatory for me for a convertible in the Northeast. Unfortunately, the heated seat option is not available with the LWBS.
- Ingress/Egress: While my wife and I are still in good physical condition, getting in and out of the LWBS still requires a lot of physical contortion. As we all age, the LWBS will be more of a challenge to enjoy. Will have to work on my stretches and squats!
- Aesthetics: LWBS look better IMO than sofa seats. However, the Spyder Classic Interior Package with the 18 ways still look spectacular. The burgundy/black leather/race-tex interior appears almost like a special order exclusive interior at a $2,800 upgrade option.
- Wife factor: This trumps all. I have buckets in my RS and my wife refuses to ride in the 911. She finds the buckets uncomfortable and difficult to access. She really enjoys tooling around with me in our convertible with sofa seats. Between the RS and the Spyder, we reach for the Spyder keys over the RS all the time.
- So for me, the 18 way heated seats with the Spyder Classic Interior was the optimal combination for my purposes.

Just my opinion.
I'm in the bucket of people who are facing no LWBS; my first Spyder had it and I wanted it on this Spyder, my forever car.

As I was seriously considering not taking the allocation because of this, my wife tried to console me on the situation by saying since it's your forever car, you'll grow old with it. With that, one day you won't find the buckets quite as easy ingress/egress as today. You had your fun with the original Spyder and buckets, look at this 2nd one as another phase of life ☺️

First Spyder was no frills focused driving tool (buckets+classic interior, pretty much it). Version 2, since I have to get sofas, it's going lux trim (18-way heated, Burm, Classic, etc). So happy to have the fortune to spec a replacement, albeit just before production ends!

Last edited by goretexpretzels; 01-20-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2023 | 10:56 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by Prime
Just saw this mate, that really sucks. What was the outcome in the end? You still going to proceed with the car, or were they able to give you a commitment for a 4RS?
Old 01-05-2024 | 03:24 AM
magnus89
Instructor

I am going to bump this thread rather than starting a new one. I notice that the bucket seats in the 992 GT3 have been re-contoured in the shoulder area, squared up compared to older versions and the versions in my 2024 GTS. I've searched around but not found an explanation of why this changed, if the seats are otherwise identical, which models get which version, etc. Just something I've been curious about - anyone know the answers?

Rounded shoulder style (as provided on my '24 Cayman GTS):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...-bucket-seats/

Image credit - BringATrailer user AudictedRS (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...-bucket-seats/)

Squared up shoulder style (as fitted in 992 GT3):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...weight-bucket/

Image credit - BringATrailer user bcmacao (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...weight-bucket/)

Last edited by magnus89; 01-05-2024 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2024 | 01:12 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Hmm, that is curious. I have a '22 Spyder and have the rounded shape like your GT4 seat pictured above. The configurator seems to show them the same, different supplier?
Old 01-05-2024 | 02:28 PM
Manual991
Racer

The seats in my 24’ CGTS have the rounded shape. Car was delivered in September 23’

the 992 non LWB seats look more angular on the configurator. Maybe they changed the LWB shape a little to be similar? Just a total guess.

The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024 | 02:33 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Supposedly, 992 also have a different angle of recline, more reclined, but not as much as using aftermarket brackets. The carbon is somewhat squared on the 991/718 style, so I suspect it could be an insert and leather change only for the shoulder area. Not sure though.

Old 01-05-2024 | 02:34 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Yes the 992 LWBs are more squared off at the shoulders. Been that way for the 992 run in its entirety.

The 718 has the rounded shoulders, same version as with 981 generation, aka the 918 Spyder LWBs.
Old 01-08-2024 | 06:05 PM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

The manufacturer of the 718 and 991 lightweight bucket seats seems to have been Lear. When the bucket seats for the 718 were (temporarily) unavailable a year ago, this article circulated:
https://www.kontextwochenzeitung.de/...beit-8322.html

If I understand the article right, it states that the 718 and 991 bucket seats were EOL and the 992 successor (visible, for example, by the more angular shoulder section) is now being built by a different manufacture. I guess it is a new seat with a different/new homologation according to current regulations.
Old 01-08-2024 | 09:15 PM
isthar
Instructor

Btw, can a car with 18 ways bolt in one single bucket for the driver? Isnt that a great combo? Driver w buckets and passenger w the comfort?
The following users liked this post:
slilley (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 09:57 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isthar
Btw, can a car with 18 ways bolt in one single bucket for the driver? Isnt that a great combo? Driver w buckets and passenger w the comfort?
Yes. There's the issue of aesthetics, but it can be done.

Also, I don't know that a driver's bucket adds much performance value for street/road driving by itself. Most of the value of a track setup comes from six point harnesses under hard cornering forces. Even on a (gag) "spirited drive" you're not coming close to these forces. If you just use a three point with a LWB on the track, the seat doesn't offer much more than an 18 way in terms of driver retention. You can accomplish more with a CG lock and an 18 way.

Finally if you're doing single LWB for track with a harness bar or roll bar and a harness, you won't meet the 'equal restraint' rule for the instructor seat.

I think these are the reasons you don't see single LWBs even though it would be easy to do.

Last edited by ldamelio; 01-09-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2024 | 11:24 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I've had both the 18 way seats and the buckets at the track and the buckets are a massive improvement even with stock 3 point belts. I used to come away from a track day with my left knee literally bleeding from being braced against the speaker in the door. That's never happened with the LWB's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Weasel:
6IXSPD (01-09-2024), slilley (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 11:28 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ my experience is similar, compared to 'regular' Porsche seats the LWBS is a huge improvement for my track day adventures!

I am not a track rat, and I do not want true racing seats, LWBS is as much as I need.
Old 01-09-2024 | 12:27 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I've had both the 18 way seats and the buckets at the track and the buckets are a massive improvement even with stock 3 point belts. I used to come away from a track day with my left knee literally bleeding from being braced against the speaker in the door. That's never happened with the LWB's.
Also gotta keep in mind fellow members may not be pushing it as much to notice the differences in lateral holding capabilities of the LWBs

Quick Reply: Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWBS) Discussion