Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

FitcamX Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024 | 11:22 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you! Garmin must have changed the design as mine fits great without touching. It's a shame too because it was a fairly cheap solution....
I think the hood over the clock is a better solution as it not only fixes the camera issue, but takes care of the glare on the windscreen. Someone on here was 3D printing them. Anyone remember that thread?

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-28-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2024 | 12:00 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I think the hood over the clock is a better solution as it not only fixes the camera issue, but takes care of the glare on the windscreen. Someone on here was 3D printing them. Anyone remember that thread?
I remember that - there were two threads that I recall. The 1st was by @Reedy who was modifying a polarizing lens to fit (Chrono Clock Windscreen Reflection Solution - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums)
The 2nd, which I think is the one you're asking about was by @Bob Z. who was working with Tom in California to 3D print a hood - discussed in this thread: Sports Chrono Ring - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (02-28-2024)
Old 02-29-2024 | 11:30 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Looking at the videos again, aside from the red dash which seemed way more obvious than the black dash, I wonder whether just wrapping the silver ring of the SC in black would get rid of the biggest problem.

Ron
Old 03-02-2024 | 01:34 AM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

@MaddMike did you order Version A or B for your Spyder? And did you ever install the rear camera yet?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2024 | 02:15 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Looks like a good spot... does the camera have good visibility rearward with it there? Also, does your front camera move slightly when you are pouring the microSD card in? I mean it is pretty solid, but does wiggle a tad when I insert or take out the card....I make sure to use both hands to hold it....
I didn't see any replies to this, but that spot is unlikely to work. I tried the same thing with my rear camera and it just captured the inside of the trunk lid. I had to mount it at the top of the window and allow enough slack for the trunk to open.
Old 05-22-2024 | 01:34 AM
PawpaBare
Rennlist Member

Hello all,

So at this point, the Y cable is just included in the kit? I know a few years ago people were having to reach out to the company directly to get that. I just ordered the FitcamX for my incoming car and just trying to figure out if they just plug in play without any additional wiring now.

For the guys/gals who have been running this for awhile how is everything holding up? Any long terms issues experienced?

Thanks,
PB
Old 05-22-2024 | 10:57 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PawpaBare
Hello all,

So at this point, the Y cable is just included in the kit? I know a few years ago people were having to reach out to the company directly to get that. I just ordered the FitcamX for my incoming car and just trying to figure out if they just plug in play without any additional wiring now.

For the guys/gals who have been running this for awhile how is everything holding up? Any long terms issues experienced?

Thanks,
PB
Yes, the Y cable is included in the kit.

The only downside I can think of is the Sport Chrono reflection on the windshield. I also have not yet attempted to mount the rear cam.

For the reflection,when I went to go drive the dragon or roads I want footage of, I put electrical tape on the ring of the sport chrono to get clearer video. A shroud or another option would be ideal. The first one I got would not record sound so they sent me a new one. No further issues to report.
Old 05-22-2024 | 12:48 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Is the consensus to still tap into the overhead light for power, or is there a way to tap into the pre-wire for those who optioned it?
Old 05-22-2024 | 03:18 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TubaFreak
Is the consensus to still tap into the overhead light for power, or is there a way to tap into the pre-wire for those who optioned it?
The Y-cable is for the overhead light. I do not have the pre-wire but you may want to reach out to FitcamX and see if they have a harness for that.
MrFunk (05-26-2024)
Old 08-03-2024 | 06:10 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
So I ordered the Garmin Polarized lens cover (010-12530-18), test fitted it and don't like how it fits over the FitcamX so I returned it. It is a little bigger than the camera lens and the top of the polarized filter is touch the inside of the windshield. I will ask FitcamX what will fit best then report back.
I contacted FitcamX to see what solution they suggest. FitcamX recommends I order their CPL-3390 polarizing lens directly from them and they will send me an updated (shorter) camera housing for free. The new camera housing will allow room for the polarizing lens so it doesn't make contact with the inside of the windshield.

So I ordered the lens from Fitcamx and installed the housing plus polarizing lens today. It took a bit of work to swap to the new housing but it wasn't difficult. Once I put everything back together, I tested the polarizing lens and it works great. The nice thing about the CPL-3390 is that once installed (double-sided tape), you can still adjust and rotate the lens orientation. Now the Chrono ring don't show in my video. Really happy with the result.

Last edited by lowbee; 08-03-2024 at 06:13 PM.
MaddMike (08-04-2024)
Old 08-18-2024 | 03:17 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
I contacted FitcamX to see what solution they suggest. FitcamX recommends I order their CPL-3390 polarizing lens directly from them and they will send me an updated (shorter) camera housing for free. The new camera housing will allow room for the polarizing lens so it doesn't make contact with the inside of the windshield.

So I ordered the lens from Fitcamx and installed the housing plus polarizing lens today. It took a bit of work to swap to the new housing but it wasn't difficult. Once I put everything back together, I tested the polarizing lens and it works great. The nice thing about the CPL-3390 is that once installed (double-sided tape), you can still adjust and rotate the lens orientation. Now the Chrono ring don't show in my video. Really happy with the result.
Ugh. Just tried to put my 3345 cover in and it won’t fit! (Too close to windshield). Sounds like I need a new housing?
Old 08-18-2024 | 04:59 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ugh. Just tried to put my 3345 cover in and it won’t fit! (Too close to windshield). Sounds like I need a new housing?
yes
Old 09-27-2024 | 05:44 PM
Rkybobby
Rennlist Member

I am having a problem that I have isolated to the FitcamX and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same.

When I use Waze or any gps based app through wired carplay, my location is not accurate. So I can’t use maps or Waze for directions because it thinks I am somewhere else.

A Google search shows that this is a known issue. Fitcamx provided me with a different cable to connect to the motherboard but it didn’t work.

Has anyone else experienced gps interference?

When I unplug my phone from the usb cable, my gps location instantly works again.
Old 09-27-2024 | 07:46 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rkybobby
I am having a problem that I have isolated to the FitcamX and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same.

When I use Waze or any gps based app through wired carplay, my location is not accurate. So I can’t use maps or Waze for directions because it thinks I am somewhere else.

A Google search shows that this is a known issue. Fitcamx provided me with a different cable to connect to the motherboard but it didn’t work.

Has anyone else experienced gps interference?

When I unplug my phone from the usb cable, my gps location instantly works again.
Now this is interesting, I’ve been having this exact problem a lot this year and never thought it would be due to the Fitcam… I even had the dealer update the PCM firmware and it didn’t help.

Somedays it works without issue, others it’s causing Waze/Maps location problems.
Old 09-27-2024 | 07:49 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...em-solved.html

Looks like here’s a solution: wrapping the current harness in foil or getting an updated one, lol.

Quick Reply: FitcamX Install