Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

FitcamX Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024 | 05:31 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
How's the Garmin Polarized filter attached ? Does it just snap in place ?
Yes, it just snaps on over the lens
The following users liked this post:
lowbee (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 05:34 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Do you have video with the filter in place to see the difference? I agree that the reflection is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Ron
Unfortunately, I do not have a video with the filter in place.....and the Spyder is up on the lift for the winter. Might be too late, but I can get a video in a few weeks once the weather starts being more condusive to Spyder drives.... I will say though that the filter does make a substantial difference, but it does not eliminate the glare completely.
Old 02-03-2024 | 11:09 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Unfortunately, I do not have a video with the filter in place.....and the Spyder is up on the lift for the winter. Might be too late, but I can get a video in a few weeks once the weather starts being more condusive to Spyder drives.... I will say though that the filter does make a substantial difference, but it does not eliminate the glare completely.
In a recent rally, I put electrical tape on the silver ring on the dash as that was what was causing the reflection. I think some of the hood solutions I have seen on here would make a difference.
Old 02-04-2024 | 03:03 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if speccing the preparation for dash cam on the SRS make it easier to install a 3rd party dash cam such as the FitcamX? Heard enough bad things about the OEM Porsche one to look at other options. Also, wondering if installing a windschott allows for a rear camera to be installed on it, too.
Old 02-04-2024 | 10:00 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hk43
Does anyone know if speccing the preparation for dash cam on the SRS make it easier to install a 3rd party dash cam such as the FitcamX? Heard enough bad things about the OEM Porsche one to look at other options. Also, wondering if installing a windschott allows for a rear camera to be installed on it, too.
No to your first question. The FitCamX comes with the harness that plugs into the dome light and has nothing to do with the Porsche wiring.

To your second question, I'm not sure. I have the rear camera and the Winshott but I have not installed the rear but did think about installing it on it.
hk43 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-04-2024 | 11:15 PM
Robmac123
8th Gear

I have been back and forth with FitcamX tech support for the last few days to see if they can supply a short adaptor loom from the camera to the Porsche dashcam preparation wiring plug. They don’t have the correct connector as of now, but I sent them a link for purchasing the plugs and they’re looking into it. I’ll try to update on here when I get a final response either way. Whilst the loom that taps into the light circuit seems to work fine it seems to me it would be better to use the dashcam prep supply for those cars that have it.
TubaFreak (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024 | 12:37 AM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robmac123
I have been back and forth with FitcamX tech support for the last few days to see if they can supply a short adaptor loom from the camera to the Porsche dashcam preparation wiring plug. They don’t have the correct connector as of now, but I sent them a link for purchasing the plugs and they’re looking into it. I’ll try to update on here when I get a final response either way. Whilst the loom that taps into the light circuit seems to work fine it seems to me it would be better to use the dashcam prep supply for those cars that have it.
This was my thought as well. I got the pre-wire specifically for aftermarket options, and I like the Fitcam's form factor. If it can connect directly to the pre-wire then I'm sold.
Old 02-05-2024 | 12:59 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TubaFreak
This was my thought as well. I got the pre-wire specifically for aftermarket options, and I like the Fitcam's form factor. If it can connect directly to the pre-wire then I'm sold.
I don't get this. It does connect to the OEM "pre-wire" as it plugs into the OEM harness. What do you hope to gain from wiring it into the Porsche dashcam pre-wire? It is literally plug and play as it is.
mc3456 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-05-2024 | 03:34 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I don't get this. It does connect to the OEM "pre-wire" as it plugs into the OEM harness. What do you hope to gain from wiring it into the Porsche dashcam pre-wire? It is literally plug and play as it is.
Fair. I guess similar to what Robmac123 said above, I just like the idea of not drawing too much off one wire, especially one that wasn't designed for it, even if the added draw is still within spec. For those that got the extra pre-wire, having the added option of connecting directly to it is a good thing, in my opinion of course.
MaddMike (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024 | 04:31 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TubaFreak
Fair. I guess similar to what Robmac123 said above, I just like the idea of not drawing too much off one wire, especially one that wasn't designed for it, even if the added draw is still within spec. For those that got the extra pre-wire, having the added option of connecting directly to it is a good thing, in my opinion of course.
Also, if connected to just the light manifold you don't have the ability for it to wake on impact when parked AFAIK. It needs to be hooked up to the fuse for this useful feature to be possible, which is a valid reason to wonder if the FitcamX can take advantage of the OEM pre-wiring I think..
TubaFreak (02-05-2024)
Old 02-06-2024 | 03:42 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Also, if connected to just the light manifold you don't have the ability for it to wake on impact when parked AFAIK. It needs to be hooked up to the fuse for this useful feature to be possible, which is a valid reason to wonder if the FitcamX can take advantage of the OEM pre-wiring I think..
Interesting, I didn't know that it was not active when locked but it makes sense. I may have to test that feature.
Old 02-06-2024 | 05:09 PM
Robmac123
8th Gear

That was my thinking also, the Porsche dashcam prep had ground, positive and switched/ignition positive, so should work perfectly with the dashcam monitoring when parked feature as well as waking up when ignition turns on. I may be wrong, but I assumed the feed from the interior light wouldn’t do this.
Old 02-06-2024 | 06:09 PM
sleon
1st Gear

If I order the Porsche dashcam prep, does anyone know:

1. Does the factory energize fuse locations in the driver-side fusebox, or the passenger-side fusebox, or both?
2. Am I able to instruct the factory to energize this fusebox or the other fusebox?
3. Which fuse locations are energized in which fusebox?
4. Capable of providing how much power -- amps -- and what size fuses?
5. Switched power -- turn off the car and the power to the fuse turns off? Or constant power -- the engine is off but there is enough "trickle" power to keep a dashcam working in parking mode if the car is hit or bumped?
6. Who might have a diagram or map or link to a manual that identifies fuse locations and fuse sizes for x or y systems in the car?

In advance, much and many thanks.
Old 02-27-2024 | 02:31 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

How's the Garmin Polarized filter attached ? Does it just snap in place ?
So I ordered the Garmin Polarized lens cover (010-12530-18), test fitted it and don't like how it fits over the FitcamX so I returned it. It is a little bigger than the camera lens and the top of the polarized filter is touch the inside of the windshield. I will ask FitcamX what will fit best then report back.

Last edited by lowbee; 02-27-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2024 | 09:55 AM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

So I ordered the Garmin Polarized lens cover (010-12530-18), test fitted it and don't like how it fits over the FitcamX so I returned it. It is a little bigger than the camera lens and the top of the polarized filter is touch the inside of the windshield. I will ask FitcamX what will fit best then report back.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you! Garmin must have changed the design as mine fits great without touching. It's a shame too because it was a fairly cheap solution....

Quick Reply: FitcamX Install