Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Anyone dealt with a flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:44 AM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Anyone dealt with a flat tire?

Spyder and GT4 owners ….
Just curious if anyone has dealt with a flat out in the wild? How did you deal with it? Was it hard to fix or find a replacement tire?
Old 08-29-2022, 09:50 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Beyond the car's own repair kit, I carry a Dynaplug kit that I hope will temporarily save me in the wild in the case of a normal puncture. It has paid off once on another car a few years ago.
Here's a link:
Amazon Amazon

There are other smaller varieties too. Just search for Dynaplug. I originally had one of the smaller ones, but had to use it once too and had a hard time pushing it in. The larger one has a bigger "pad" at the back to make it easier to press in with your palm.

Last edited by StormRune; 08-29-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:08 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Yes, coming back from Parade last year had a catastrophic blowout in NE Texas.

The large bolt hole was too large for a patch or the kit in the car.

Porsche Roadside service collected me and Porsche of Shreveport had me back on the road in a couple hours.

The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Dan Nagy (08-30-2022), fueledbymetal (08-29-2022), slilley (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:37 AM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

yes... large screw in my rear. I was able to get it home before it went totally flat. I jacked it up, put a couple plugs in to get it to stop leaking and then dropped it off the my dealer for a new tire. shockingly they quoted me the same price as TireRack.. first time I left a porsche dealer not feeling like I over paid someone her turned me on to this jack..

Amazon Amazon

its great, works perfectly... I had a manual porsche jack at the time of my flat.. the crank handle bent while cranking. our cars are so stiff, that it actually lifted both wheels off the ground, hence too much weight for it to muster
The following 3 users liked this post by AtoB:
confused66 (08-30-2022), jimdillard (08-29-2022), Larry Cable (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Last fall when my Spyders right rear Race 2 got screwed, I was fortunate enough that I could get to the next town and replace the air slowly leaking out, the next day when the local Porsche dealership opened in Kelowna, they were able to patch it so I could continue on home.

They warned me that a Porsche sponsored track event would frown on a patched tire during inspection. When I got home my local dealership was able to secure the last 295R20 Race 2 in Canada, same date code as the tires that came on the car! This year I had similar difficulty getting 2 replacement front tires, they too were aged stock, over 2 years old as well.

Heck, we are having trouble getting a set of Porsche spec tires for our Macan...
Old 08-29-2022, 11:54 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

FWIW, I keep a plug kit, and compressor in the car, along with some pliers, and needle-nose pliers. I got (3) flats, in (3) separate tires (Cup 2s), in my first 2.5 weeks of ownership. Most recently, I picked up my 4th screw in an all-season, and this time had it "repaired", and replaced, but keep it as a backup.

I waited a day too long to buy a replacement set up summer tires (N-spec PS4S) last year, and had to wait (13) months til they came back in stock this spring.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:48 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKFLAT6
Spyder and GT4 owners ….
Just curious if anyone has dealt with a flat out in the wild? How did you deal with it? Was it hard to fix or find a replacement tire?
Not Porsche related but a great story. Best flat tire I ever had. One mile from Neist Point in northwest Scotland. 6pm on a Sunday evening. Large pothole caused a gash too big for the bottle-o-goo in the trunk. Coasted to the bottom of the hill and found ourselves dead in the water, an hour from anything (Portree the capital of Skye). Nicest old lady at One Waterstein took us in and called the rental company for us. She says those potholes cause issues for tourists all the time and she recounted the time she paid $300 for a French group because they didn't have enough money for a new tire, and then stiffed her on the repayment. Waited about an hour and a half for a 70 year old chap to arrive with his flatbed. Loaded us up and went for a long drive through total darkness back to his shop in Portree. Got his wife on the phone during the drive and asked her if she could source the Pirelli 20" the Jag needed. By the time we arrived at the shop the tire was there waiting, as was the nephew who they called in at 9 o'clock from his house a few doors down. It was a family affair and they had my wife and I back on the road by 930pm. Scottish hospitality and work ethic at its finest.

Since we never got to Neist Point that day, we tried again the next day and it was awesome! Stopped by One Waterstein and gave the old lady $300 to cover the French deadbeats and asked her to please keep paying it forward. She runs a B&B all by herself (harvests the peat that keeps her warm in the winters and maintains a flock of sheep she uses to provide wool revenue).

Anyhow, here's a video of our Scottish tragedy. Not too bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unowm4c0gy..._7418.MOV?dl=0

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 08-29-2022 at 01:38 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
Chonson (08-29-2022), confused66 (08-30-2022), Dan Nagy (08-30-2022), Larry Cable (08-29-2022), LZRD GRN (08-30-2022), QWKFLAT6 (08-29-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2022, 01:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

We Scots are the best!
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 06:27 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I keep a superlight jack in my Boxster and couple of kits. It's a jack from early boxsters I think, ebay have lots of them. Weigh nothing and can be stored in a trunk, you won't even know it's there...

This kit is my favorite, it inserts rubber mushroom into the hole. Hole has to be more or less round
Amazon Amazon

Never had to use jack on the road, but use the Stop&Go kit in the garage all the time. Saves hours vs going to the tire shop

Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 08-29-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:07 AM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

Plug kit. Get the ones with the cords embedded, the pure rubber plugs are easily torn when inserting and you likely won't get a successful plug. Make sure the plug insertion tool has a wide handle you can palm, and that the nose of the tool is a firm metal. A metal reaming tool is also recommended, so you can fully clear the hole and insert your plug. The internal cords of high speed tires makes it really difficult to push a plug in.

I don't bring a jack, anything requiring removing the tire means I can't goo or plug it imo. Front tires you can turn the steering wheel so you can access the hole, rear tires you can roll the car back/forward until the hole is exposed.

Once plugged, use the included electric pump to pump it back up to pressure. It may barely make it to 31psi (2.2bar).

Next find a garage - get it patched and plugged or get a new tire.

ps. ohhh that looks really nice.
Amazon Amazon
@StormRune has a good recommendation here

Last edited by edub; 08-30-2022 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:08 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

I bring an extra set of wheels and tires with me.
The following 4 users liked this post by jwr9152:
AdamIsAdam (08-30-2022), kwikit356 (08-30-2022), SW6 (08-31-2022), t-design (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 06:39 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,030 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Beyond the car's own repair kit, I carry a Dynaplug kit that I hope will temporarily save me in the wild in the case of a normal puncture. It has paid off once on another car a few years ago.
Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Tube...words=Dynaplug

There are other smaller varieties too. Just search for Dynaplug. I originally had one of the smaller ones, but had to use it once too and had a hard time pushing it in. The larger one has a bigger "pad" at the back to make it easier to press in with your palm.
You talked me into it. Ordered.

I've always carried traditional plug kits in my jeep for off roading and never used them. I do like the idea of this smaller version. I ordered the one with the case as it seems like it will fit nicely in the compartment behind the seats next to the engine cover.

Quick Reply: Anyone dealt with a flat tire?