Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 12:05 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher?

Wrapping up my build now for my Spyder. Wondering if any of you have pros and cons from pressing the fire extinguisher?

for daily use, I don’t care, but it obviously is more important to track people. Any negatives to having it with daily driving?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2022, 12:19 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Wrapping up my build now for my Spyder. Wondering if any of you have pros and cons from pressing the fire extinguisher?

for daily use, I don’t care, but it obviously is more important to track people. Any negatives to having it with daily driving?

Thanks
It really is there for looks or in case you come across a burning Ferrari by the side of the road. I picked it because it is an inexpensive option and if you hate it, you take it out and sell it for $200.

The bracket it is mounted on is plastic and won't pass some track inspections which require it to be metal. Besides, if you are on a track and your car catches fire, the last thing you want to do is try to battle it with a tiny extinguisher. Most tracks require you exit the vehicle and get behind a crash barrier while the track stewards do their thing. So, it really has no track application.

Last edited by MaddMike; 08-30-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:30 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by MaddMike
It really is there for looks or in case you come across a burning Ferrari by the side of the road. I picked it because it is an inexpensive option and if you hate it, you take it out and sell it for $200.

The bracket it is mounted on is plastic and won't pass some track inspections which require it to be metal. Besides, if you are on a track and your car catches fire, the last thing you want to do is try to battle it with a tiny extinguisher. Most tracks require you exit the vehicle and get behind a crash barrier while the track stewards do their thing. So, it really has no track application.
Yeah, that is what I kind of thought. If I don't like it, can the harness be removed?

Also, my SA told me that if I don't order now, it cannot be retrofitted later, so I tend to think that it can't be removed either.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:39 PM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

I went with a https://elementfire.com/. It's small and durable, and functions hands free if I need to drop it under the car or into an engine bay where the confined space gives it the best shot at suppressing a fire.

A larger extinguisher is probably going to involve me risking my safety trying to put out the fire, and that's what I have insurance for at the end of the day.
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:08 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Thanks
Ken,

It's the ONLY accessory that Porsche offers that's Beyond-a-BARGAIN.

Get it buddy,
Terry
Old 08-30-2022, 02:00 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

That and leather steering wheel/shift ****, smoking package and anthracite brushed aluminum interior trim! The fire extinguisher is a “chicken soup” option-can’t hurt, might help!
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Ken,

It's the ONLY accessory that Porsche offers that's Beyond-a-BARGAIN.

Get it buddy,
Terry
Old 08-30-2022, 02:29 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

As I kind of got an early allocation (Sept ‘21 build) and the engine was still a question mark did not want to risk another 991.1 GT3 type of situation. So ordered it just in case I can do something if the engine catches on fire. Now that we know the engines have no issue, the fire extinguisher is not a necessity.

It takes up some of the limited cabin space (especially for Boxster and Spyder), was going to take it off but my wife said to leave it and she was comfortable
Old 08-30-2022, 02:36 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 752 Posts

I got it in my building mostly for the harness, as mentioned above, take it out and sell it. If the car catches on fire I'm more prone to let it burn. The extinguisher would be to save someone, not a car.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:11 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Bucket seats are slightly more difficult to slide FWD/AFT
Old 08-30-2022, 06:01 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Thanks.... Getting 18 way sofas, so seems fine per comments above.

I think that it is actually a decent deal, and since I can fully remove it if I don't like it for some reason, seems like a "no brainer".
Old 08-30-2022, 06:03 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by edub
I went with a https://elementfire.com/. It's small and durable, and functions hands free if I need to drop it under the car or into an engine bay where the confined space gives it the best shot at suppressing a fire.

A larger extinguisher is probably going to involve me risking my safety trying to put out the fire, and that's what I have insurance for at the end of the day.
I've got elementfire also. It's small and easy to mount. Hope I never need it.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:27 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks.... Getting 18 way sofas, so seems fine per comments above.

I think that it is actually a decent deal, and since I can fully remove it if I don't like it for some reason, seems like a "no brainer".
I added a fire extinguisher to my old Cayman S and had an incident with a small suspension problem during a DE that caused a small fire which I could put out. I specced a fire extinguisher in my 981 GT4 and never used it but my wife felt the it got in the way.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:37 PM
landsteam
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edub

will the seat bracket that they sell fit with the LWB seats?
Old 08-30-2022, 07:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I added a fire extinguisher to my old Cayman S and had an incident with a small suspension problem during a DE that caused a small fire which I could put out. I specced a fire extinguisher in my 981 GT4 and never used it but my wife felt the it got in the way.
of her purse.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExMB:
pcarGTS4.0 (08-31-2022), Toon902 (08-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher?