Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023 | 09:26 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@Avera
Oh gosh, I’m sorry I messed up your name! Thank you for pointing that out! Again, thanks for the feedback on the sound for your exhaust system. I was curious about the stereo and wanted to know about that too so thanks for hitting that subject.
Did you consider the same set up from JCR?
jonny has headers and link pipes with cats, too.
Despite a random and inaccurate comment in an above post by another member, I have never had anything but good things to say about Jonny and JCR . . . Jonny was a nothing short of a pleasure with whom to interact during my purchase and follow-up process.

What I have never shared on this forum is that during my purchase process JCR sent me the wrong exhaust tips. I notified Jonny and he had the correct tips on my doorstep within 2 business day . . . from the UK to Stateside. In the box Jonny gifted me a set of JCR paddle shifters for the inconvenience. I had no value for the paddles, as I use the shifter to shift, so I returned the paddles to Jonny. As far as I am concerned, nothing but a quality business and product line.

The above stated, I have always tried to be fair and honest in my feedback. Any problems I had with the Race Pipe were not JCR problems, rather, inherent problems with the GT4 chassis in relation to aftermarket exhaust options and drone.

So, to get to the specific point of your question . . . in MY OPINION there is no better header/OAP option out there than Dundon. Of course I am biased, and have no doubt the JCR headers/OAPs are also excellent. At the end of the day, it does not matter what high-flow header/OAP aftermarket option you choose. If you couple that option with the Race Pipe, you are going to experience some insane drone.

As per my prior post, the tipping point for almost everyone comes with swapping out OAPs and the OEM rear box. There will be drone and only each individual owner can decide if the drone is tolerable or too much. Personally, I think the drone associated with swapping out the OAPs and rear box would produce and tolerable amount of drone. If JCR OAPs and Race Pipe, I am sure the tone would be incredible. However, it would not produce the level of decibels I desire and achieved with the Dundon headers/OAPs. . . or the TQ/HP gains.

It is all give and take . . . and what each individual owner is after and can accept when it comes to drone.

Avera
Old 03-21-2023 | 10:45 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Avera
Despite a random and inaccurate comment in an above post by another member, I have never had anything but good things to say about Jonny and JCR . . . Jonny was a nothing short of a pleasure with whom to interact during my purchase and follow-up process.

What I have never shared on this forum is that during my purchase process JCR sent me the wrong exhaust tips. I notified Jonny and he had the correct tips on my doorstep within 2 business day . . . from the UK to Stateside. In the box Jonny gifted me a set of JCR paddle shifters for the inconvenience. I had no value for the paddles, as I use the shifter to shift, so I returned the paddles to Jonny. As far as I am concerned, nothing but a quality business and product line.

The above stated, I have always tried to be fair and honest in my feedback. Any problems I had with the Race Pipe were not JCR problems, rather, inherent problems with the GT4 chassis in relation to aftermarket exhaust options and drone.

So, to get to the specific point of your question . . . in MY OPINION there is no better header/OAP option out there than Dundon. Of course I am biased, and have no doubt the JCR headers/OAPs are also excellent. At the end of the day, it does not matter what high-flow header/OAP aftermarket option you choose. If you couple that option with the Race Pipe, you are going to experience some insane drone.

As per my prior post, the tipping point for almost everyone comes with swapping out OAPs and the OEM rear box. There will be drone and only each individual owner can decide if the drone is tolerable or too much. Personally, I think the drone associated with swapping out the OAPs and rear box would produce and tolerable amount of drone. If JCR OAPs and Race Pipe, I am sure the tone would be incredible. However, it would not produce the level of decibels I desire and achieved with the Dundon headers/OAPs. . . or the TQ/HP gains.

It is all give and take . . . and what each individual owner is after and can accept when it comes to drone.

Avera
@Avera
Thank you, Avera. Learning from reading Rennlist and your experience, I’m either going to change the rear section alone or leave the factory rear section and change the headers and OAPs.
I fear the drone/volume so many mention when changing both ends of the system together.
You had a JCR rear section but then changed back to the factory rear section and went with Dundon headers/OAPs for the “Goldilocks” solution of managing drone vs HP/TQ gains.

How did you land on Dundon for the headers/OAPs versus JCR headers/OAPs?
Old 03-21-2023 | 12:59 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@Avera
Thank you, Avera. Learning from reading Rennlist and your experience, I’m either going to change the rear section alone or leave the factory rear section and change the headers and OAPs.
I fear the drone/volume so many mention when changing both ends of the system together.
You had a JCR rear section but then changed back to the factory rear section and went with Dundon headers/OAPs for the “Goldilocks” solution of managing drone vs HP/TQ gains.

If I am reading your comments/question correctly, I THINK there is a little confusion. . .

I did not go with JCR rear section then with Dundon headers/OAPs. I had the Dundon headers/OAPs and then added the Race Pipe.

Rear section alone does nothing of worthy mention toward volume or TQ/HP gains. The rear box is all about TONE. I had the volume with the Dundon components and wanted a higher-pitched/wailing tone. Again, the Race Pipe delivered the tone, but at the price of insane drone.

As far as Dundon vs another aftermarket header/OAP option goes . . .

I believe Dundon had a very unique solution at the time of release. One I THINK others have since emulated? Namely, the term 'street headers' is a bit of a misnomer. The Dundon headers are de-catted, so what most would call race headers. Dundon then placed high-flow cats where the GPF filters were on the OEM OAPs. This is why one must purchase both the headers and OPAs if going with Dundon. Plus, I could be mistaken, but I believe the Dundon pipe diameters are the largest on the market . . . you would have to look into all the currently available options to confirm.

The bottom line is I suspect most high-flow headers/OAPs on the aftermarket offer a similar acoustic outcome TQ/HP gains as Dundon. JCR, SOUL, Kline . . . are all known to produce quality products. I am not trying to sell you Dundon, rather, share my favorable experience with their headers/OAPs.

Avera
Old 03-21-2023 | 01:05 PM
jdmporscheguy
Advanced

@endura

Just wanted to give you and any others interested a little feedback I just received.

Spoke with BGB Motor Sports (not far from where I live in Florida). . . great to speak with them about topics at hand. I can understand why their reputation precedes them.

Indicated that I had Dundon Headers/OAPs and asked if they could install the Dundon Crack Pretzel?

Response was a strong, 'WE HIGHLY ADVICE AGAINST THAT.'

Why I asked?

In their experience there has been almost universal disappointment . . . the complete system is simply too obnoxious for even the most enthusiastic of owners.

They advised sticking with the Dundon headers/OAPs

So, I am kind of got pushed back to where I started, thinking adding a valve controller MIGHT be the way to go?

Avera
I have entered the chat
Old 03-21-2023 | 01:16 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmporscheguy
I have entered the chat
@jdmporscheguy

I know you realize that was an old post you cited . . . what I am gathering is that you MIGHT be suggesting the Dundon headers/OAPs with Crack Pretzel finally wore out your senses and you are now considering putting the OEM rear box back on with one of the available valve controller options?

Perhaps I am wrong in my trying to read between the lines??? If so, perhaps you could give me a little more information for purposes of further discussion.

Avera
Old 03-21-2023 | 03:44 PM
jdmporscheguy
Advanced

@jdmporscheguy

I know you realize that was an old post you cited . . . what I am gathering is that you MIGHT be suggesting the Dundon headers/OAPs with Crack Pretzel finally wore out your senses and you are now considering putting the OEM rear box back on with one of the available valve controller options?

Perhaps I am wrong in my trying to read between the lines??? If so, perhaps you could give me a little more information for purposes of further discussion.

Avera
haha nah nothing of that sort. I just thought what BGB said was funny and wanted to say I am here still

not a chance in hell I would ever put the stock rear box back on unless I sold the car or had a new FULL system coming. I don't like the idea of mixing and matching different companies products just to save a few bucks. Either go big and get the entire system from 1 company or stay stock is what I say. Full Dundon, Full JCR, Full Soul, etc. I see so many people running JCR rear with Akra OAP cuz they wanted to save money and I think it's so dumb.

so to answer your question, my senses are far from being worn out and I love my system, albeit i live in canada and have not turned my car on since Nov 1 so I do miss hearing it.

I have a guy coming to meet up with me in Canada from the US who has the full unsilenced, uncatted JCR system (headers,oap,unsilved valved rear) in June and I agreed to meet up with him to compare my Full Dundon to his Full JCR (the exact same setup I would have bought If i chose JCR). So you never know, I may either keep Dundon for the life of the car or switch to full JCR this summer based on the results of the meetup.

That being said, I would take full dundon over dundon + oem rear every day of the week. At least while I am still young. Once I go over 40, it may be a little too much, but thats not for many more years so we'll see :P

Glad you are enjoying your setup though man! I dont have valves so I can't comment on the valve controller lol

Last edited by jdmporscheguy; 03-21-2023 at 04:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdmporscheguy:
Alpha Ice (03-21-2023), Avera (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023 | 06:55 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

@Avera

FWIW, I did land on the JCR Headers last year, and have loved them, and moved onto the lightweight racepipe with cats and silencers with the manifolds. I found the Dundon to be over the top with their manifolds in terms of noise, compliance and to me....the ability to DD comfortable. With that said, to many people my existing setup will be too loud, and sometimes my wife isn't a fan with the windows all the way up. But the Dundon I felt forced me to get something specific, or I couldn't have x or y part because of the noise (as Avera stated earlier that he needed the back box, or couldn't go with the race pipe). The JCR for me is the goldilocks, and many people will run their manifolds with other systems, and I think a couple others have Dundon headers with a JCR valved/silenced exhaust. I think @enduro has that setup, but I could be wrong. I'll tag him and have him enter the chat too.

I had nothing but great experiences with Jonny too and in chatting with him over many months deciding on different options and waiting for some coating to come into play, he was always great about responding to emails and questions, and even after the fact of being a customer when he hasn't had anything to benefit from still. Jonny is top shelf imo.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Avera (03-21-2023), DerekHK (03-22-2023), jdmporscheguy (03-22-2023)
Old 03-21-2023 | 06:58 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmporscheguy
haha nah nothing of that sort. I just thought what BGB said was funny and wanted to say I am here still

not a chance in hell I would ever put the stock rear box back on unless I sold the car or had a new FULL system coming. I don't like the idea of mixing and matching different companies products just to save a few bucks. Either go big and get the entire system from 1 company or stay stock is what I say. Full Dundon, Full JCR, Full Soul, etc. I see so many people running JCR rear with Akra OAP cuz they wanted to save money and I think it's so dumb.

so to answer your question, my senses are far from being worn out and I love my system, albeit i live in canada and have not turned my car on since Nov 1 so I do miss hearing it.

I have a guy coming to meet up with me in Canada from the US who has the full unsilenced, uncatted JCR system (headers,oap,unsilved valved rear) in June and I agreed to meet up with him to compare my Full Dundon to his Full JCR (the exact same setup I would have bought If i chose JCR). So you never know, I may either keep Dundon for the life of the car or switch to full JCR this summer based on the results of the meetup.

That being said, I would take full dundon over dundon + oem rear every day of the week. At least while I am still young. Once I go over 40, it may be a little too much, but thats not for many more years so we'll see :P

Glad you are enjoying your setup though man! I dont have valves so I can't comment on the valve controller lol
I did reach out to Jonny about possibly picking up some non silenced pieces if I ever wanted to remove the silenced bits for funsies, and I love how modular the lightweight race system is. It is quite impressive. I do agree with JDM about stick wtih 1 mfg and make it all work, there will always be compromises, and it isn't an easy pill to swallow. I did envision me getting the valved unsilenced system, but after I heard DC021's setup with the race and no valves setup, it was game over!
The following 3 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Avera (03-21-2023), DerekHK (03-22-2023), jdmporscheguy (03-22-2023)
Old 03-26-2023 | 09:50 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

New Muffler inbound, designed from a power and sound standpoint... quiet with valves closed and screaming with the valves opened! Had to get it all done for the RS, and then work backwards.... Thanks for sticking with us, there's a lot more going on to build a muffler vs a pipe...

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
The following 4 users liked this post by Jamie@dundonmotorsports:
Avera (03-26-2023), BabyNSX (03-27-2023), jdmporscheguy (03-27-2023), UncleDude (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023 | 10:10 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
New Muffler inbound, designed from a power and sound standpoint... quiet with valves closed and screaming with the valves opened! Had to get it all done for the RS, and then work backwards.... Thanks for sticking with us, there's a lot more going on to build a muffler vs a pipe...
Before I become falsely priapismic, is the 'new muffler' for those of us who have a GT4 with your headers/OAPs, or only for RS owners?

Avera
Old 03-26-2023 | 10:12 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Before I become falsely priapismic, is the 'new muffler' for those of us who have a GT4 with your headers/OAPs, or only for RS owners?

Avera
is for both…. 🤘
The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie@dundonmotorsports:
Avera (03-26-2023), BabyNSX (03-27-2023)
Old 03-26-2023 | 10:33 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

muffler and x-pipe?
Old 03-26-2023 | 10:49 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
is for both…. 🤘
Any sneak audios for us . . .

Avera
Old 03-27-2023 | 09:48 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
FWIW, I did land on the JCR Headers last year, and have loved them, and moved onto the lightweight racepipe with cats and silencers with the manifolds. I found the Dundon to be over the top with their manifolds in terms of noise, compliance and to me....the ability to DD comfortable. With that said, to many people my existing setup will be too loud, and sometimes my wife isn't a fan with the windows all the way up. But the Dundon I felt forced me to get something specific, or I couldn't have x or y part because of the noise (as Avera stated earlier that he needed the back box, or couldn't go with the race pipe). The JCR for me is the goldilocks, and many people will run their manifolds with other systems, and I think a couple others have Dundon headers with a JCR valved/silenced exhaust. I think @enduro has that setup, but I could be wrong. I'll tag him and have him enter the chat too.

I had nothing but great experiences with Jonny too and in chatting with him over many months deciding on different options and waiting for some coating to come into play, he was always great about responding to emails and questions, and even after the fact of being a customer when he hasn't had anything to benefit from still. Jonny is top shelf imo.
@Alpha Ice
thank you for your input here. Jonny is great with replying to my millions of questions regarding his exhaust components and other products.
Do you have a 718 GT4 or Spyder?
You have the JCR exhaust manifolds (“headers”) and his link pipes (“OAP”) with cats?
Are you able to talk on the phone when driving on the freeway?
Thank you for your input!
Old 03-27-2023 | 10:36 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@Alpha Ice
thank you for your input here. Jonny is great with replying to my millions of questions regarding his exhaust components and other products.
Do you have a 718 GT4 or Spyder?
You have the JCR exhaust manifolds (“headers”) and his link pipes (“OAP”) with cats?
Are you able to talk on the phone when driving on the freeway?
Thank you for your input!
This all falls under the heading of 'subjective' and 'situational'

I have Dundon headers/OAPs with OEM rear box and, unlike @Alpha Ice experience, I do not find the setup too loud . . . it is VERY LOUD when you are aggressive with throttle and shift points, but I love it.

When I have the rare occasion to keep things 'tame' - such as cruising on freeway - all I have to do is throw it into PDK automatic mode and be reasonable with throttle. Under such restraint I can easily carry out a phone conversation.

Under most instances, however, I am in PDK manual mode and aggressive with shift points, and have no interest in talking on the phone.

Now that Dundon has announced availability for a rear box solution, all of this MIGHT go out the window with the complete exhaust system??? Personally, I do not care if the system is too loud to talk on the phone . . . as long as the drone is not insane.

Avera

Quick Reply: Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller