Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 05:35 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgams54
Avera - any chance you could record a few sound clips of your current setup? I've only found a few videos of people running the dundon headers / OAP with the stock muffler.
I will do my best, but I must tell you I am just a guy with an iPhone . . . and I am certain you know anything I record on that phone with not come out the other side with any authority. Plus it is hard to drive and hold and iPhone

I am heading out of town for a few days and will try to capture something for you when I return.

Avera
Old 08-30-2022, 05:43 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
One item of interest for a lot of customers may be our Resonated OAP's. These are specifically designed to deliver and OEM+ sound level alone, and when paired with headers or our valved system, keep the volume threshold well below the typical Competition OAP levels with the same power gains. What has become popular is to pair these with headers and a valve controller and about 15% less volume than standard OAP's and no drone. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's a newer produict alot of people aren't aware of that work great on their own, or with additional mods.

Dave @ SOUL
Dave

No worries about the 'hijacking' . . . people come in for one thing and might be pleasantly surprised to find another.

Of course, the Dundon headers are specifically made and paired with their OAPs, so your product is not anything for which I am currently in need.

By no means a knock or even a comparison to your product(s), but the Dundon setup is absolutely amazing . . . my interest in learning more about the Cracked Pretzel pertains to my obsession with performance acoustics. More MIGHT be too much with the Cracked Pretzel??? I am trying to get some information because the exhaust is too expensive for me to find out after the fact.

Avera

Last edited by Avera; 08-31-2022 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-31-2022, 05:11 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enduro
I bet the crack pretzel sounds absolutely epic... kinda want to try it, but would prob get me kicked off my track.

If Dundon chimes in, would like to know if they have any idea how the dB would compare with a JCR Valved silenced like I have. Crack pretzel almost looks like it has megaphones in it as opposed to any muffling tho the physics side of me knows there could be some game going on with reflecting waves.
@endura

Just wanted to give you and any others interested a little feedback I just received.

Spoke with BGB Motor Sports (not far from where I live in Florida). . . great to speak with them about topics at hand. I can understand why their reputation precedes them.

Indicated that I had Dundon Headers/OAPs and asked if they could install the Dundon Crack Pretzel?

Response was a strong, 'WE HIGHLY ADVICE AGAINST THAT.'

Why I asked?

In their experience there has been almost universal disappointment . . . the complete system is simply too obnoxious for even the most enthusiastic of owners.

They advised sticking with the Dundon headers/OAPs

So, I am kind of got pushed back to where I started, thinking adding a valve controller MIGHT be the way to go?

Avera
Old 08-31-2022, 05:45 PM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Dundon was supposed to be working on their exhaust solution for the 718 GT4 and last i heard they were testing their unit on a customer's car but that was a while ago and still havent heard of any updates........

@Ted@dundonmotorsports any updates on the 718 GT4 Exhaust you guys have had in the works for a long while now?
Old 08-31-2022, 07:07 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MechEngr1287
Dundon was supposed to be working on their exhaust solution for the 718 GT4 and last i heard they were testing their unit on a customer's car but that was a while ago and still havent heard of any updates........

@Ted@dundonmotorsports any updates on the 718 GT4 Exhaust you guys have had in the works for a long while now?
https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...-crack-pretzel
Old 09-02-2022, 11:20 AM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Naw im talking about their "lifetime" muffler package for the 718 GT4.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:56 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Did you get a valve controller?

Originally Posted by Avera
@endura

Just wanted to give you and any others interested a little feedback I just received.

Spoke with BGB Motor Sports (not far from where I live in Florida). . . great to speak with them about topics at hand. I can understand why their reputation precedes them.

Indicated that I had Dundon Headers/OAPs and asked if they could install the Dundon Crack Pretzel?

Response was a strong, 'WE HIGHLY ADVICE AGAINST THAT.'

Why I asked?

In their experience there has been almost universal disappointment . . . the complete system is simply too obnoxious for even the most enthusiastic of owners.

They advised sticking with the Dundon headers/OAPs

So, I am kind of got pushed back to where I started, thinking adding a valve controller MIGHT be the way to go?

Avera
Good morning Avera,
Did you ever post a video with sound of your headers and OAP set up?
Did you ever get the valve controller?
I’m interested in a similar set up on my Spyder and hoping to learn a bit more about your experience since your goals for exhaust seem to be in line with mine.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:19 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GianniG60
Good morning Avera,
Did you ever post a video with sound of your headers and OAP set up?
Did you ever get the valve controller?
I’m interested in a similar set up on my Spyder and hoping to learn a bit more about your experience since your goals for exhaust seem to be in line with mine.
@GianniG60

I have thread dedicated to my experience with Dundon headers/OAP and a 'bridge too far' when adding a JCR Race Pipe

To save you time, once you get Dundon headers/OAPs or similar high-flow components, the only thing saving you from drone insanity is the OEM rear box. The Race Pipe lasted about a month before the OEM rear box went back into place.

The Dundon headers/OAPs add decibels . . . LOTS of decibels. To boot, TQ/HP boost. I was after one thing, and one thing only with the Race Pipe . . . high-pitched/wailing tone. The Race Pipe delivered incredible tone in spades . . . could not tolerate the mind altering drone.

The OEM rear box tone is not bad. Just does not compare to what the Race Pipe delivers. Moral of the story, if you are after LOUD and appreciable TQ/HP gains, I do not think you can do better than the Dundon headers/OAPs. If your objective is tone, I do not think you can do better than the Race Pipe. Once you start playing with headers or OAPs AND the rear box, you are looking at compromises that only each individual can decide are acceptable. The tipping point appears to be aftermarket OAPs and rear box solutions, which many find a nice compromise.

For ME, I like it LOUD and Dundon delivers LOUD. Once I found my sweet spot, I was left with one remaining question. . . the valves. I could not stand how quiet the car was when valves were closed, or the transition of valves closed to open. I went the route of valve collars over controller because I never want the valves closed. For ME, Dundon headers/OAPs, OEM rear box and valve collars is the solution.

One final note that pertains to a Hale Mary I am hopeful Dundon can deliver . . . a rear box solution that offers a higher-pitched/wailing tone with 'acceptable' drone. 'Acceptable' is completely subjective and, for ME, my threshold is pretty high. I am hopeful, but not holding my breath. I am very happy with what I currently have in terms of GT4 acoustics.

I have never posted a video of my set up for a couple reasons. (1) I could never figure out how to upload a video to Rennlist. (2) Even if I could, videos do no justice to any attempt to capture acoustics.

Hope that addresses your questions.

Avera
Old 03-20-2023, 12:26 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Default Funding Sport Headers/OAPs

@GianniG60

I have thread dedicated to my experience with Dundon headers/OAP and a 'bridge too far' when adding a JCR Race Pipe

To save you time, once you get Dundon headers/OAPs or similar high-flow components, the only thing saving you from drone insanity is the OEM rear box. The Race Pipe lasted about a month before the OEM rear box went back into place.

The Dundon headers/OAPs add decibels . . . LOTS of decibels. To boot, TQ/HP boost. I was after one thing, and one thing only with the Race Pipe . . . high-pitched/wailing tone. The Race Pipe delivered incredible tone in spades . . . could not tolerate the mind altering drone.

The OEM rear box tone is not bad. Just does not compare to what the Race Pipe delivers. Moral of the story, if you are after LOUD and appreciable TQ/HP gains, I do not think you can do better than the Dundon headers/OAPs. If your objective is tone, I do not think you can do better than the Race Pipe. Once you start playing with headers or OAPs AND the rear box, you are looking at compromises that only each individual can decide are acceptable. The tipping point appears to be aftermarket OAPs and rear box solutions, which many find a nice compromise.

For ME, I like it LOUD and Dundon delivers LOUD. Once I found my sweet spot, I was left with one remaining question. . . the valves. I could not stand how quiet the car was when valves were closed, or the transition of valves closed to open. I went the route of valve collars over controller because I never want the valves closed. For ME, Dundon headers/OAPs, OEM rear box and valve collars is the solution.

One final note that pertains to a Hale Mary I am hopeful Dundon can deliver . . . a rear box solution that offers a higher-pitched/wailing tone with 'acceptable' drone. 'Acceptable' is completely subjective and, for ME, my threshold is pretty high. I am hopeful, but not holding my breath. I am very happy with what I currently have in terms of GT4 acoustics.

I have never posted a video of my set up for a couple reasons. (1) I could never figure out how to upload a video to Rennlist. (2) Even if I could, videos do no justice to any attempt to capture acoustics.

Avera
Thank you Avery,
I’m new and just learning even how to reply. Your response had “@GianniG60” and I don’t even know how to do that!
Your reply is very helpful, thank you for the details! The way you put it is helping me make a decision.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:32 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Thank you Avery,
I’m new and just learning even how to reply. Your response had “@GianniG60” and I don’t even know how to do that!
Your reply is very helpful, thank you for the details! The way you put it is helping me make a decision.
No worries. Glad I could be of some help

To tag a member in a post, type '@' followed by there name and it should pull options you just click to enter into comment

Avera
Old 03-20-2023, 12:41 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

No worries. Glad I could be of some help

To tag a member in a post, type '@' followed by there name and it should pull options you just click to enter into comment

Avera
@Avery
Awesome! Thank you for sharing that reply tip, too!
Old 03-20-2023, 12:46 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Here's a video I have saved of the PSE valve logic, I haven't found a better one:

Old 03-20-2023, 05:18 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

@GianniG60

Avera
@Avery
I have a follow up question regarding your exhaust set up and “loudness.” Can you talk on the phone when driving with your exhaust set up?
I’m asking because this will be my daily driver and I need to be able to talk on the phone when in the car. I’m not planning spirited driving when on the phone of course but just wondering what your thoughts are on this topic with your headers and OAP set up.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:50 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@Avery
I have a follow up question regarding your exhaust set up and “loudness.” Can you talk on the phone when driving with your exhaust set up?
I’m asking because this will be my daily driver and I need to be able to talk on the phone when in the car. I’m not planning spirited driving when on the phone of course but just wondering what your thoughts are on this topic with your headers and OAP set up.
@GianniG60

Little correction . . . it is Avera, not Avery . . . but I am sure whoever Avery is, he is glad you are tagging him

I daily my GT4 too and you can control the volume with your right foot (throttle) and shift points . . . I do not talk on the phone much when I drive, but never have a problem speaking/hearing when I do . . . so long as I am not aggressive with throttle and shift points.

I know I have a stereo, but not sure I have ever listened to it? Again, if you were just cruising down the highway I am sure you could enjoy the stereo if desired.

Avera
Old 03-20-2023, 10:20 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

@GianniG60

Little correction . . . it is Avera, not Avery . . . but I am sure whoever Avery is, he is glad you are tagging him

I daily my GT4 too and you can control the volume with your right foot (throttle) and shift points . . . I do not talk on the phone much when I drive, but never have a problem speaking/hearing when I do . . . so long as I am not aggressive with throttle and shift points.

I know I have a stereo, but not sure I have ever listened to it? Again, if you were just cruising down the highway I am sure you could enjoy the stereo if desired.

Avera
@Avera
Oh gosh, I’m sorry I messed up your name! Thank you for pointing that out! Again, thanks for the feedback on the sound for your exhaust system. I was curious about the stereo and wanted to know about that too so thanks for hitting that subject.
Did you consider the same set up from JCR?
jonny has headers and link pipes with cats, too.

Quick Reply: Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller