Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sport Cup 2 - Michelin's Advice on Pressures and Temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 11:01 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayemthree
This is old info from the original Pilot Sport Cup tires (circa 2009). This document is still available on Tire Rack's website here, but I wish they'd remove it as it contains out-of-date info.

Attached (below) is the newer data for the Cup 2 tires...in summary, they want to see slightly higher pressures. These are my notes, created (mostly) from that doc so that I have everything I need in one place.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tire Pressure:
  • Cold tires: Inflate with a pressure between 29 psi and 35 psi front & rear; never allow the pressure to be below 28 psi cold
  • Hot tires: The optimal operating pressure must be between 33 psi and 39 psi front & rear; some vehicle models will need a higher inflating pressure than 39 psi hot
  • Autocross: Though autocross hot target pressures are the same as those for road racing, you may need to start at a higher cold inflation pressure to compensate for the lower pressure gains in autocross racing.
  • Rain: For both autocross and road racing, you may need to increase tire pressure 4 – 6 psi over cold, dry pressures.

Last edited by slilley; 06-13-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:22 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

FYI Manthey Racing run their "Porsche Experience" cars at the mfg recommended values...
Old 06-13-2023, 03:44 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Where is that extract from? Is it N1 specific or is that a generic Cup 2 recommendation? I found with non OE stamped tyres that about 32-34 was a sweet spot but the N1's on a GT4 are a bit different to the generic ones.

For what it's worth, Manthey Racing recommend 1.9bar front and 2.0 rear, HOT. That's 27.5/29psi. That's even lower than I have been advocating but far as I'm concerned that's damn near the end of this argument for people doing track days.

Now I know this thread is about what Michelin recommend but there's what Michelin recommend based off their design parameters, and then there's what's fastest in the real world. My own experience is anything higher than 29/33psi produces much, much slower lap times.

(skip to 6:50 mark)
https://youtu.be/g3nRNynNsXQ?t=410
I couldn't imagine running the Cup 2's at that low of pressures. The sidewalls are soft enough as it is, those pressures would turn it into jello and be very lazy on the lateral plane.

The stiffer sidewall tires (SC3, SC3 R's, AD09's, etc. ) suit the GT4 platform very well.

Last edited by TRZ06; 06-13-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Where is that extract from? Is it N1 specific or is that a generic Cup 2 recommendation? I found with non OE stamped tyres that about 32-34 was a sweet spot but the N1's on a GT4 are a bit different to the generic ones.

For what it's worth, Manthey Racing recommend 1.9bar front and 2.0 rear, HOT. That's 27.5/29psi. That's even lower than I have been advocating but far as I'm concerned that's damn near the end of this argument for people doing track days.

Now I know this thread is about what Michelin recommend but there's what Michelin recommend based off their design parameters, and then there's what's fastest in the real world. My own experience is anything higher than 29/33psi produces much, much slower lap times.

(skip to 6:50 mark)
https://youtu.be/g3nRNynNsXQ?t=410
this is what we were running at the 'Ring last week ... and they were pretty religious about keeping these pressures hot - to the extent that we were all show -0.5bar etc on the dash once we cooled down ...

I agree with @Reedy - arguments, "end of"! - MR have forgotten more about track setup than all of RL combined knowledge thereof (IMO)
Old 06-23-2024, 02:11 AM
MeasureTwice
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slilley
This is old info from the original Pilot Sport Cup tires (circa 2009). This document is still available on Tire Rack's website here, but I wish they'd remove it as it contains out-of-date info.

Attached (below) is the newer data for the Cup 2 tires...in summary, they want to see slightly higher pressures. These are my notes, created (mostly) from that doc so that I have everything I need in one place.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tire Pressure:
  • Cold tires: Inflate with a pressure between 29 psi and 35 psi front & rear; never allow the pressure to be below 28 psi cold
  • Hot tires: The optimal operating pressure must be between 33 psi and 39 psi front & rear; some vehicle models will need a higher inflating pressure than 39 psi hot
  • Autocross: Though autocross hot target pressures are the same as those for road racing, you may need to start at a higher cold inflation pressure to compensate for the lower pressure gains in autocross racing.
  • Rain: For both autocross and road racing, you may need to increase tire pressure 4 – 6 psi over cold, dry pressures.
Is there a more recent version of the "New Advice & Disclaimers" attachment? 2016 is pretty old. Could not find this on the Michelin consumer site.

Quick Reply: Sport Cup 2 - Michelin's Advice on Pressures and Temperatures