Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

oil level/extraction need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Shawn Hong
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 73 Posts
Default oil level/extraction need help

I topped off my oil with about 1/4 quart and the car said oil level too high consult dealer. Went and bought an extracter and tried to extract from the same location i put oil but no luck. After about 2 feet it hits something. started the car again anyway and said oil level is good. then light turned on again

is the only way to drain the oil or is there another way i can use a extractor?

Am i damaging anything atm while the car is on idle? Havent driven it just let it idle until engine temp showed 220

Last edited by Shawn Hong; 06-11-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:25 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I think the extractor method only works for cars that have a dipstick that goes directly down into the oil pan for wet sump engines. However, our cars use a dry sump with the reservoir not directly in a line with where you fill.

Not directly answering your question, but in the GT3 manual there's a level shown as C below which is described as the optimum oil level - apparently around 75% of max. Given the difficultly of correcting an overfill, that's the level I try to target when checking/adding oil... assuming that Max is really just a Max and not really necessary for optimal results. If you use the 75% level as a target it is much harder to get into an overfill situation.

And just a sample # for the record, I did a couple of partial oil fills (half a liter at a time) to get back up to around that 75% mark over the first 3800 miles and finished up the full liter bottle at 3800 miles. The rate of "burn" certainly slowed between the first partial fill from the initial break-in period and the second one; so I think that is going pretty much as expected.

Last edited by StormRune; 06-13-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:34 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

I've drained just enough for a Blackstone report from other cars multiple times; it was a lot less messy than I expected; if I overfilled, I'd just have a container below that I could use to measure + a larger pan for spill, carefully pop out a plug and hang on to it, then put it back in once I'd drained enough. Maybe some shop gloves if you're averse to getting your hands dirty. Doesn't spray like a water hose does if you try to cover its end with your thumb, and drains slowly enough to be in control of how much you take out.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Removing the oil filter isa little bit easier way to remove a small amount of oil. Just unscrew it dump out what’s in there replace and you’re good to go.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:35 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Removing the oil filter isa little bit easier way to remove a small amount of oil. Just unscrew it dump out what’s in there replace and you’re good to go.
Beat me to it, yes, easiest and least messy way is drop the filter, dump mouth the oil and reinstall.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:32 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I checked the GT4 owner's manual addition and it also calls out the same 75% oil level recommendation for the GT4 as it did in that GT3 image I showed in post 2 above. Here is the GT4 section with a little more detail. I assume it applies to all of us with 4.0 engines.

Quick Reply: oil level/extraction need help