Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS suspension upgrades thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 03:52 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
No problem Alpha. The shop I worked with actually recommended DSC with stiffer springs for me initially because they weren't sure what I would think of the ride on coilovers. They recommended getting the DSC + springs and letting them adjust the parameters and height and then if I liked the stiffer settings and reduced height to then think about upgrading to the coilovers. I thought SPASM with sport button pressed was kind of soft so I knew I would probably be OK and went straight to coilovers, but they seemed to be pretty keen on the DSC so I am sure it is a quality product that is definitely more cost effective. Let us know if you get it and what you think and also the tires. I can just say the ride is super sweet and sharp on the Ohlins.
I was spoiled by having Bilstein PSS9 on my previous first gen Cayman S, and I absolutely loved it, super compliant and comfortable, but still firm and minimal body roll which was a win/win/win for me. I did not have pasm in that car of course, so I did get spoiled a bit, but I also have to think about what my goals are, and how far down the rabbit hole I want to go. I know that suspension and handling can be tricky too. I also don't want to get past the point of having something comfortable to drive in rain/long term conditions by adding a ton of camber that provides awesome handling, but can get sketchy in other conditions. It is of course not my main vehicle, but I also don't want to get to the point that I wouldn't love to take this to get milk or groceries across town for fun.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:05 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

If you are looking to change GTS suspension, then you should have likely bought a GT4. The GTS is intended as an everyday sportscar and the suspension is setup accordingly. I have added coilovers to many ///M cars and ride quality is always sacrificed.

You could possibly do a spring & shock upgrade and improve both ride quality and handling. My F80 M3 I did springs and Bilstein B6 dampers, and it was a huge difference over OEM in terms of handling and comfort.

IMO, the GTS suspension is great from factory. Not something I'd be looking to change for a street car. It could do with wider tire setup, which I'll do shortly to PS4s.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (10-17-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 02:48 AM
Nick_CT
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
If you are looking to change GTS suspension, then you should have likely bought a GT4.
I think you're missing the point of this thread, and why the OP ended up in this position.
008 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 03:59 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

If you are looking to change GTS suspension, then you should have likely bought a GT4.

IMO, the GTS suspension is great from factory. Not something I'd be looking to change for a street car. It could do with wider tire setup, which I'll do shortly to PS4s.

Actually what I really wanted was a gt4 touring which they don’t make. Or a Spyder with an auto top

I’m not a track rat (although like to do track days whenever time and schedule permit) and love the understated styling and wider accessibility of the gts. I agree the stock spasm suspension is great especially with wider tires. I actually thought the stock exhaust sounded great after a few thousand miles as well. But it’s also fun to do some mods, tailor the car to your exact preferences, and share these experiences with others which is what I think many of us enjoy doing.

The following 3 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
008 (06-26-2022), slilley (06-10-2022), UncleDude (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:13 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Actually what I really wanted was a gt4 touring which they don’t make. Or a Spyder with an auto top

I’m not a track rat (although like to do track days whenever time and schedule permit) and love the understated styling and wider accessibility of the gts. I agree the stock spasm suspension is great especially with wider tires. I actually thought the stock exhaust sounded great after a few thousand miles as well. But it’s also fun to do some mods, tailor the car to your exact preferences, and share these experiences with others which is what I think many of us enjoy doing.
I get what you are saying, but suspension mods are a very expensive and slippery slope, often not for the better. If I think back over the years, only 1 of the 5 cars I modded suspensions one was for the better

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 06-10-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Z06jerry (10-17-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:25 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I was spoiled by having Bilstein PSS9 on my previous first gen Cayman S, and I absolutely loved it, super compliant and comfortable, but still firm and minimal body roll which was a win/win/win for me. I did not have pasm in that car of course, so I did get spoiled a bit, but I also have to think about what my goals are, and how far down the rabbit hole I want to go. I know that suspension and handling can be tricky too. I also don't want to get past the point of having something comfortable to drive in rain/long term conditions by adding a ton of camber that provides awesome handling, but can get sketchy in other conditions. It is of course not my main vehicle, but I also don't want to get to the point that I wouldn't love to take this to get milk or groceries across town for fun.
I get what you are saying, but suspension mods are a very expensive and slippery slope, often not for the better. If I think back over the years, only 1 of the 5 cars I modded suspensions on was for the better
Totally agree with you both which is why I will likely stop here with the suspension unless I get some other good recommendations. Next step would probably be control arms and/or sway bars which I am hesitant to mess with because I just don’t have the knowledge and I don’t want to ruin a good thing.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:30 AM
revcon
Intermediate

Received 169 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been hoping to hear people's experiences with lowering springs on 4.0 SPASM.

-Are there any 4.0-specific springs on the market?
-Is re-adapting the dampers necessary, and is it a "basic settings" kind of deal (a la DCC on a Mk7) or a ride height inputting process (a la Mag Ride)?

Just want that 10mm the GT4 gets, don't need the adjustability of coilovers, and have had a great experience on my Golf using a mild spring with stock dampers.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:42 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by revcon
I've been hoping to hear people's experiences with lowering springs on 4.0 SPASM.

-Is re-adapting the dampers necessary, and is it a "basic settings" kind of deal (a la DCC on a Mk7) or a ride height inputting process (a la Mag Ride)?

Just want that 10mm the GT4 gets, don't need the adjustability of coilovers, and have had a great experience on my Golf using a mild spring with stock dampers.
You could probably get 10mm lowering springs from Eibach without causing shocks to hit bump-stops. If I was modding the suspension on a GTS, I'd do springs and Bilstein B6 which plug n play into the SPASM system. I wouldn't want lower on my GTS though (have 20mm drop already), as it would lose its practicality around city and then may as well have bought a GT4.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
revcon (06-16-2022), Z06jerry (10-17-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 05:03 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

You could probably get 10mm lowering springs from Eibach without causing shocks to hit bump-stops. If I was modding the suspension on a GTS, I'd do springs and Bilstein B6 which plug n play into the SPASM system. I wouldn't want lower on my GTS though (have 20mm drop already), as it would lose its practicality around city and then may as well have bought a GT4.

That is what I was afraid of happening initially with the lowered ride height. I had a 991 gt3 a loooong time ago (should have kept it - sounded the business and felt epic on track) but didn’t love to drive it around the city as much as I should because the nvh was too loud inside all the time, too stiff, and scraped everywhere.

My gts on Ohlins lowered at least an additional 10mm doesn’t scrape at all probably due to the combination of no splitter and improved rebound when going over bumps from the Ohlins. I go over speedbumps and most inclines without having to awkwardly angle my car like I had to with the gt3. It has about the same general accessibility level around town as the stock gts on spasm just feels stiffer.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:10 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by revcon

Don't forget about bump steer when lowering from stock. If the control arms angle downward with the full weight of the car, then you will want to get a bump steer kit to keep bump steer at bay.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:21 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Does anyone have experience with these? They look adjustable and work with PASM.

https://www.hrsprings.com/product-sp...wering-springs

Old 06-16-2022, 06:33 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Does anyone have experience with these? They look adjustable and work with PASM.

I don't, but I've also noticed that KW has a similar setup too. Although it does look like theirs makes you disable the PASM, while the H&R work with PASM.

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...cayman-boxster

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 06-16-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:46 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I don't, but I've also noticed that KW has a similar setup too. Although it does look like theirs makes you disable the PASM, while the H&R work with PASM.

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...cayman-boxster
Hmm, strange. The description says something else, but I did see the disable PASM note. I’m generally happy with the SPASM on the car, but would maybe like a bit more firmness and another 10-12mm drop.

All driver assistance systems and comfort features of a factory adaptive or electronic suspension remain operational and work harmoniously with our vehicle specific spring set up”
Old 06-16-2022, 06:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

IMO, all those "HANS" kits are a bandaid fix. The core issues IMO are in the damping curves/shock valving, for which springs only do not address. Some are ok with the stock damping, I wasn't.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:07 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude

Used these on a CaymanS with PASM a few years ago...

Just delighted with them, lowered the car, it rode more smoothly, and "seemed" quicker on track (no data on that)...

Also use H and R on my Cayenne and Macan, just love them....

Quick Reply: GTS suspension upgrades thread