Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The AC Issue Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 02:56 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,310 Posts
Default The AC Issue Discussion Thread

Since we are still getting intermittent cooling storms, and I don't really want to drive in blazing heat too much, I have only tried the AC twice. Once on a very hot day, I ran it for 10-15 minutes, and all it ever blew was hot (temp all the way down on the single zone system). I turned it off for 10 minutes, and then back on, and it blew cold.

Today, turned the car on, immediately turned on the AC...tepid air. Max AC...more tepid air. Turned it off. Drove a bit, cycled power on the car, then it blew cold.

Anyone else have on/off utility issues from their AC? I don't THINK it is operator error. Feels like some bug, and I assume I would not be the only person experiencing this.
The following users liked this post:
Valeyard (07-10-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 02:58 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Do you have Dual Zone auto climate or base?
Old 06-03-2022, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Since we are still getting intermittent cooling storms, and I don't really want to drive in blazing heat too much, I have only tried the AC twice. Once on a very hot day, I ran it for 10-15 minutes, and all it ever blew was hot (temp all the way down on the single zone system). I turned it off for 10 minutes, and then back on, and it blew cold.

Today, turned the car on, immediately turned on the AC...tepid air. Max AC...more tepid air. Turned it off. Drove a bit, cycled power on the car, then it blew cold.

Anyone else have on/off utility issues from their AC? I don't THINK it is operator error. Feels like some bug, and I assume I would not be the only person experiencing this.
A/C what's that?
The following 3 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
Chris P Lewis (05-23-2023), dichael (06-03-2022), Rennolazine (07-21-2024)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:03 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I've only used my A/C a handful of times and when I have, it's cuz it was summer in SoCal and it was 90+F. When I use A/C, it blows cold. No need to cycle car on and off. If you're pushing the A/C button and it's not blowing cold in a few minutes, I would take the car in to get it checked.
Larry Cable (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:19 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
If you're pushing the A/C button and it's not blowing cold in a few minutes, I would take the car in to get it checked.
Yeah, that's the unavoidable conclusion. Just wondering if there was any crowd-sourced context.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:26 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

This thread in the 981 GT4 sub-forum may be of some help, if you haven't already seen it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...tioning-2.html

Adrift (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but that's just about systems which don't work, mostly from loss of charge. Mine works...but only half the time.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:36 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Yeah, that's the unavoidable conclusion. Just wondering if there was any crowd-sourced context.
The only other question I can think of asking to help trouble shoot is when you're experiencing this issue, is your car on and driving or are you for example sitting in your driveway in accessory mode with A/C or Max A/C on? The car really needs to be moving so ambient air can pass through the radiators/heat exchangers to blow cold air though the vents.

If you're moving, then I would say something is wrong especially because you mentioned you also push Max A/C and same tepid air is coming out. When you push Max A/C, the car should automatically change your settings so it blow "max A/C" ASAP. I believe it will lower air temp to Lo, turn on recirculating air and increase fan speed to hi. I can't remember if it "deselects" the air direction such as to windshield and footwell but either way, Max A/C should give you cold air in a short amount of time whiling the car is moving.
Larry Cable (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:42 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks, but that's just about systems which don't work, mostly from loss of charge. Mine works...but only half the time.
Hey ​​​​@Adrift , I haven't had that issue with my new Spyder - BUT I will say that these systems are on the "lower" end of the AC / heat / heated seats / heated steering wheel power scale, at least that's my opinion. My lady's M2 will run you out - heat, heated seats / steering wheel or AC. Neither of my 981s were that great in those departments, and the Spyder seems to be cut from the same cloth.

It's not a great answer for us here in sweltering Texas to have a car that doesn't freeze you out when you want it, but I've learned to lower my expectations with respect to Porsche and AC....I would still consider taking it into the dealer if you're only getting full function 1/2 of the time, as others have pointed out and you're obviously considering.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:44 PM
cnw126
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I had AC issues. It would blow hot no matter what I did. Took it to the dealer, I had a leak in the system at the compressor seam and at a line connection in the passenger (left hand drive car USA) front wheel well area. The dealer replaced both parts. I picked up the car Wednesday and all was good. Hopefully it is resolved.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:50 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,138 Posts

I’m in South Texas, never had any problems.

It’s a dual zone a/c that I run on auto.

It’ll blow cold after a few seconds of clearing the duct work. Sitting or moving.

Let the dealer sort it out.
MechEngr1287 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 03:53 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

@Adrift , yeah that happens to me occasionally - twice last week - along with other random / sporadic electrical gremlins. My solution for the ac is to put it in park, switch off, wait ~ 15+ seconds and restart. Works every time. I did talk to my sa about this, and he reassured me not to be alarmed so I’m not sweatin’ it
Old 06-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dichael
@Adrift , yeah that happens to me occasionally - twice last week - along with other random / sporadic electrical gremlins. My solution for the ac is to put it in park, switch off, wait ~ 15+ seconds and restart. Works every time. I did talk to my sa about this, and he reassured me not to be alarmed so I’m not sweatin’ it
But, with a manual, I don't have PARK! The first time, it self cleared after 10 minutes of having the AC off (ie it started blowing cold when I turned the AC back on), and this recent time, it was a very short trip, which had the issue clear after I stopped the car briefly (turned it off) and then turned it back on.

Yeah, a dealer trip is in the cards at some point, with the timing of that directly related to how much more I deal with this fail over the next few weeks.

For the record, MAX AC does everything it should...recirc comes on, fan goes to max, and the zone controls all get turned off. But, it doesn't appear to magically make cold air when I am in NO COLD AIR mode. <shrug>

Thanks for the ideas; appreciated.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:05 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Yes, mine does that sometimes. It will blow like the A/C isn't working. Sometimes if you turn it off and cycle the ignition switch and wait 10 mins., it will work on restart. Other times when I do not have the time to do that, I will just leave it on and eventually it will decide to work again.

2 days ago I got the Engine Control Fault warning light , but it doesn't seem to be related to the A/C

Stupid German electronics. I had random electronic gremlins on both my BMW and Audi's too.
Adrift (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 06:01 PM
4S Leistung
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 42 Posts

Happened to me yesterday. Had to drive for in the blistering Florida heat with just hot air blowing. It mysteriously righted itself after about 10 minutes.

* I’ve also had the engine control fault (cylinder misfire) several times in 400 miles of ownership. Quirky.

Quick Reply: The AC Issue Discussion Thread