Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The AC Issue Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 06:52 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

@Lucent One other thing to mention that I just thought of because you mentioned you've been driving around in very hot weather. So whenever I finish driving my car especially in hot weather or after a spirited run, I notice the fan will continue to run. So just thinking that if you're doing short bursts in driving with MAX A/C which won't give it enough time to charge the battery up while the MAX A/C is drawing maximum current in running A/C with fan on high, you then have the system still drawing current after you turn it off to run the fan. Not sure if the engine still circulates the coolant for a little bit too but if it does, obviously that is another current draw while your car is off to run the pump and so therefore the next time you go to start your car, your battery voltage is lower than where you left it and the cycle repeats and gets worse because you're still driving short distances.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:02 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

I will try some experiments to see if I can get it to fail. And check the voltages.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:07 PM
Lucent
Instructor

OK, forgive a stupid question. Where do I locate the battery voltage in the multi-function display?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucent
OK, forgive a stupid question. Where do I locate the battery voltage in the multi-function display?
It's in the vehicle info and you have to add it as it's not a default data point. By default, it'll will show oil temp, coolant temp, and oil pressure. You can add it as a 4th line item or replace one of the other three data points.
The following users liked this post:
Lucent (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 10:54 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Thanks... Currently sitting at 12.4 volts with the car off and A/C fan blowing hot air. Will give it a run tomorrow and see what it shows. Or if I can get it to have the problem again.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

The AC did the same thing to me yesterday (2022 CGTS). Pulled over, shut off the car, waited. After restart, AC was back to normal.
It’s almost like the start-up sequence misses the AC compressor activation.
I’d be interested to hear what the “easy fix” is to this “known issue.”
Old 06-07-2022, 10:31 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I am waiting for arrival of my cargraphics valve controller. I will have them do the "easy AC fix" when I take it in to have the valve controller installed. And I will request an assessment on the leather dash issue, also.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
Leader (06-07-2022), Lucent (06-07-2022), santiago660 (02-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2022, 03:24 PM
kgt4
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Was driving from San Jose to LA via Highway 1 on Friday, with brief stops along the way for pics and sightseeing, AC on auto only blew tepid air after one of those stops, had to stop the car and re-ignited, back to normal. Then same thing happened on Sunday, drove to a restaurant parked in garage for about 1 hour, AC won't work, restarted the car and cool air came back.

22MY GT4 has about 1500 miles, with dual zone AC. First time long distance driving.

Gonna get it checked when have time.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:33 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgt4
Was driving from San Jose to LA via Highway 1 on Friday, with brief stops along the way for pics and sightseeing, AC on auto only blew tepid air after one of those stops, had to stop the car and re-ignited, back to normal. Then same thing happened on Sunday, drove to a restaurant parked in garage for about 1 hour, AC won't work, restarted the car and cool air came back.

22MY GT4 has about 1500 miles, with dual zone AC. First time long distance driving.

Gonna get it checked when have time.
For those of you that are experiencing this issue, the next time it happens to you and if you're using AUTO, instead of turning off the car, try switching to manual A/C control to see if it "forces" the A/C to blow cold air. That would mean controlling the fan speed manually, pushing recirculate manually, pushing the air direction to the face/body manually and pushing the A/C button manually. Please give this a try and report back vs turning the car off and on again.

Also, before doing this check the car's voltage and take note of it.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:13 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
For those of you that are experiencing this issue, the next time it happens to you and if you're using AUTO, instead of turning off the car, try switching to manual A/C control to see if it "forces" the A/C to blow cold air. That would mean controlling the fan speed manually, pushing recirculate manually, pushing the air direction to the face/body manually and pushing the A/C button manually. Please give this a try and report back vs turning the car off and on again.

It doesn't. I only use manual mode, even though I have dual zone and the behavior is the same as others.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:21 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
It doesn't. I only use manual mode, even though I have dual zone and the behavior is the same as others.
What's your voltage?
Old 06-07-2022, 04:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

What's your voltage?

Not sure, I never have that gauge up. I will have to check next time I drive it.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:57 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Attempting to use manual controls didn't help fix it the time mine didn't work. I tried every control option I could think of before pulling over and turning off the car and restarting.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:20 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Something isn't engaging the compressor. AC is on/off, or should be...no magic involved. Anyone who goes to a dealer for this please report back what you're told.

I might take mine in next week for this.
Originally Posted by Lucent
If it happens again it is definitely going in for a check.
It's too damn hot where we live in Texas - I turn on the Max AC when I am at a stop light, but it's off when I am driving with the top down.

So far, mine has acted ok, crossing my fingers...
The following users liked this post:
Lucent (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:36 AM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Since we are still getting intermittent cooling storms, and I don't really want to drive in blazing heat too much, I have only tried the AC twice. Once on a very hot day, I ran it for 10-15 minutes, and all it ever blew was hot (temp all the way down on the single zone system). I turned it off for 10 minutes, and then back on, and it blew cold.

Today, turned the car on, immediately turned on the AC...tepid air. Max AC...more tepid air. Turned it off. Drove a bit, cycled power on the car, then it blew cold.

Anyone else have on/off utility issues from their AC? I don't THINK it is operator error. Feels like some bug, and I assume I would not be the only person experiencing this.
auto start stop can hamper your AC, do you leave that on or off?

Quick Reply: The AC Issue Discussion Thread