Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The AC Issue Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:51 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

@TXshaggy mine was running the blower at near full tilt, just blowing ambient, so it's inconsistent with the last bullet.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:04 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro
@TXshaggy mine was running the blower at near full tilt, just blowing ambient, so it's inconsistent with the last bullet.
I was thinking more of the “cooling functions restricted” part since that’s what most are reporting. It also seems that restarting seems to fix, which could reset a stray voltage reading…

Just adding it as a possibility and acknowledging these aren’t daily drivers so susceptible to such conditions.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:19 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I will add this data point to clarify my posts too. My car has the dual zone auto climate control option but I don't ever use the AUTO function. I manually set the temp in low and fan speed at 1 with the air pointing to the face/body simply because most of the time, the top is down so I don't necessarily need the system to be managing the air temp. When it gets super hot or if I'm going to be sitting in stop and go traffic and it's super hot, I'll use the A/C but I don't put it in auto. I still manually control the settings with temp set at low, air directed towards my face/body and then I manually increase or decrease the fan speed as needed/desired. Only when it's crazy hot and humid will I use MAX A/C.

The other thing to note is my car is on a battery maintainer so the battery voltage showing on my car seems to always be between 14.4-14.7 so it doesn't ever go into a low battery voltage situation so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing this scenario and some of you are.

Another data, the last time I used my A/C was on a recent driving tour coming from Borrego Springs. If I recall correctly, it was in the mid 90's and we were driving spiritedly through the back roads. Had the top up and the A/C on at MAX A/C as we were climbing the mountains out of the area and no problems.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I have the non-dual zone control (base). Used the AC today, no issues. Gotta love intermittent behavior.

Texting my service advisor now; will inform.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-04-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

My service advisor replied it is a known issue with an easy fix. I'll probably take mine in this week.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
My service advisor replied it is a known issue with an easy fix. I'll probably take mine in this week.

Please let us know what they do and if it applies to the Dual-Zone systems as well!
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Lucent (06-04-2022), santiago660 (02-08-2023)
Old 06-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Please let us know what they do and if it applies to the Dual-Zone systems as well!
Will do. Actually, I am waiting on my cargraphic valve controller, so I will take it when I have that, so they can install the Soul OAPs the CG vc, and fix the AC. I"ll make sure to ask about dual versus base climate control relevance.

Will inform.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
MechEngr1287 (06-04-2022), santiago660 (02-08-2023), Westcoast (06-04-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:42 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,034 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’ve never experienced this, but appears could be triggered by a low voltage.

We know these cars are sensitive to low voltages.

From the OM

From the first point, looks like if you drive the car really hard, A/C will cut out also.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:15 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

My CGTS did it again today. (Twice)

Same basic scenario. Very hot today. 99 degrees. Spirited run. Car then off for ~10 min. Restart. No air. Turn off car for a couple min. Restart and Air is back operating.

Another short trip. Ten minute stop. Restarted car, no Air once again. Turn off car. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Air is back upon restart.

Definitely seems related to temps. And short stops allowing the engine to get even hotter.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:24 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucent
My CGTS did it again today. (Twice)

Same basic scenario. Very hot today. 99 degrees. Spirited run. Car then off for ~10 min. Restart. No air. Turn off car for a couple min. Restart and Air is back operating.

Another short trip. Ten minute stop. Restarted car, no Air once again. Turn off car. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Air is back upon restart.

Definitely seems related to temps. And short stops allowing the engine to get even hotter.
I don't necessarily think it's the high temp that's causing this issue for you (and some of the other people.) As was shared earlier, low voltage can cause the system to not activate the A/C until voltage gets back to where the system deems it to be necessary. Short trips with fan on high (high electrical draw) hurts the battery and if it's really short, doesn't give the battery and car enough time to bring the voltage back up to where it needs to be.

I highlighted that you mentioned short trips so maybe leave the right hand side display screen to show battery voltage and for all of those reporting this issue, maybe report your voltage to see if there is a coincidence of issue with battery voltage level.

Does your car get driven regularly and if so, how many miles are driven on one occasion? When parked, do you connect it to a battery maintainer?
Old 06-06-2022, 05:47 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I don't necessarily think it's the high temp that's causing this issue for you (and some of the other people.) As was shared earlier, low voltage can cause the system to not activate the A/C until voltage gets back to where the system deems it to be necessary. Short trips with fan on high (high electrical draw) hurts the battery and if it's really short, doesn't give the battery and car enough time to bring the voltage back up to where it needs to be.

I highlighted that you mentioned short trips so maybe leave the right hand side display screen to show battery voltage and for all of those reporting this issue, maybe report your voltage to see if there is a coincidence of issue with battery voltage level.

Does your car get driven regularly and if so, how many miles are driven on one occasion? When parked, do you connect it to a battery maintainer?
It is brand new with ~1200 miles. Has been driven every day for 10 days. Is not on a charger. Brand new battery, driven every day. IMHO The battery "should" keep plenty of charge even with short runs and Max AC.

I will keep an eye on the voltage and see if there is any kind of correlation. Really can't see low voltage being the issue, especially since stopping the car and almost immediately restarting corrects the problem. If it was voltage you would expect it to stay off until the battery built back up its charge.

One other data point. It has only happened to my wife. Seems to work fine for me. LOL Could it be somehow related to her voltage? /SARC :-)
The following users liked this post:
slilley (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 06:01 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

It is brand new with ~1200 miles. Has been driven every day for 10 days. Is not on a charger. Brand new battery, driven every day. IMHO The battery "should" keep plenty of charge even with short runs and Max AC.

I will keep an eye on the voltage and see if there is any kind of correlation. Really can't see low voltage being the issue, especially since stopping the car and almost immediately restarting corrects the problem. If it was voltage you would expect it to stay off until the battery built back up its charge.

One other data point. It has only happened to my wife. Seems to work fine for me. LOL Could it be somehow related to her voltage? /SARC :-)
Just brainstorming to see if we can help identify what may cause this issue so my comments are not meant to be accusatory or anything like that.

With that being said, even if your car is brand new and driven every day for the last ten days, if they're very short burst trips like 2 miles to the grocery store and turn off and then 5 miles to costco and then off and then another 4 miles to dry cleaning and turn off and then home to repeat the next day, I'm no battery expert but this will hurt your battery more than it will help the battery to maintain a long life cycle. Also being new doesn't necessarily mean the battery is in perfect condition because the car would have just sat for sometime in Germany waiting for transport and then the trip itself to the states while waiting for PDI and all the while, the car only drives in small bursts to move from port in Germany to be loaded onto ship and then unloaded and then driven onto carrier, etc. As mentioned in a previous post, my voltage is typically between 14.4-14.7 when driving.

Check your voltage to see where it's at the next time you experience this issue. Also, I'm not a car software engineer so I have no explanation for why turning off a car and turning it back on may "resolve" the issue. All I can assume is that by cycling the car off and on, it's resets a "soft error/block" and the A/C is "allowed" to run.

Other question is do you use the auto feature while using A/C (if you have dual zone climate option) or do you manually adjust your temp settings? i.e. manually push A/C, manually control fan speed, manually control area/direction of where air blows, manually turn on air recirculation?

I've manually turned on A/C while driving home with my son top down in stop and go traffic when the air temp was showing 114 last summer with fan on high and it immediately blew cold air. About a month ago, I turned on A/C manually while on a PCA driving tour in our back country roads in about 95-98 degrees weather and hustling through the curves climbing up a mountain and it blew cold as soon as I manually turned on A/C.

One last data point, I just checked my car while it's on a battery maintainer and I turned it on to accessory mode and the voltage shows 12.5.

Here's a video to maybe better explain what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 06-06-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:18 PM
Lucent
Instructor

It's all good... Dual zone typically on Auto. Kicked on to Max when it is hot. Sometime kick up the fan speed manually.

I have never seen the issue but my runs have typically been much longer in duration and at mixed speeds, working on getting it broken in so I can get it on the track. The wife takes it for short trips and errands. So more stop and start. In all cases the temps have been quite hot.

The car is currently in the garage. I'll check voltages when I get home this evening to see if there might be an apparent issue. One other data point. Wife said that she could not turn off air recirculation when it happened. Weird.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:29 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

It's all good... Dual zone typically on Auto. Kicked on to Max when it is hot. Sometime kick up the fan speed manually.

I have never seen the issue but my runs have typically been much longer in duration and at mixed speeds, working on getting it broken in so I can get it on the track. The wife takes it for short trips and errands. So more stop and start. In all cases the temps have been quite hot.

The car is currently in the garage. I'll check voltages when I get home this evening to see if there might be an apparent issue. One other data point. Wife said that she could not turn off air recirculation when it happened. Weird.
I'm going to guess your voltage is low and since the system is in auto, it's doing what it's designed to do which is protect itself. I have the dual zone climate option but don't put it in auto so I'm guessing, when I turn on the A/C, it's basically telling the system that it must turn on the A/C no matter what vs using the Auto allows the car to confirm that it's ok to turn on the A/C. I'm not worried about my voltage though because I keep it on a battery maintainer and because I do long drives and never short bursts drives.

On my old-now-gone BMW, whenever the battery was due to be replaced, I could always tell because there would always be weird electrical things happening. I'm not necessarily saying your battery needs to be replaced at 1200 miles but having low voltage can "create" weird electrical things.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 06-06-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Lucent (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 06:34 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
From the first point, looks like if you drive the car really hard, A/C will cut out also.

That is standard on most high performance cars these days. A/C will disengage to give you max power under hard acceleration.

This issue is different.

Mine seems to do it most often after a short (10 -15 mins) stop after I stop driving and then drive again like on a short store trip stop.
Lucent (06-06-2022)

Quick Reply: The AC Issue Discussion Thread