Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Werks Reunion, Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 02:31 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

Got my tag yesterday. Can’t way to go!
The following users liked this post:
halfmonkey (07-27-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 02:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
For those of you that will still be in the Monterey area on Sunday, August 21st, it looks like Laguna Seca is hosting a cars and coffee but with a little bit of a catch. It looks like you have to attend this event called the Corkscrew Hillclimb and Party in the Paddock to be let in to attend the cars and coffee vs it normally being free. The tickets currently show to be $35 per person. Don't know if they offered this last year so not sure what to make of this. If anybody has been to this before (if they hosted this previously), please share your thoughts.

Otherwise, if not this event, does anybody know of or recommend another cars and coffee for either Saturday or Sunday?
Just wanted to add more info to this event so forgive me for quoting myself.

Here is the pre-lim schedule. It looks like they added parade laps but no mention of how to sign up. Also, on the Facebook feed, it says if you arrive between, I think it's 6-7:30, entrance is free. Otherwise, after 7:30, it's the $35 charge.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:08 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SwanSong
Anyone happen to know if the entry situation will be better than last year? That was pretty crazy …
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well its a different location this year, and I think PCA were made aware of people's issues with the entrance at last year's venue
I'm not familiar with this location but looking at Google Maps, it looks like the easiest way to the facility is to exit Casa Verde Way from the 1. From there, I'm assuming traffic will be directed to Fairground Rd and then we'll turn onto Michael J Smith Ln. If you look on Google Maps, Michael J Smith Ln is a paved road that runs around most of the course. I assume they'll direct us to travel on this road into the facility and then break off into the grass to either go to general parking, corral parking, or judged parking. If they follow this route, I see no issues for our low cars except for the uneven travel on the grass itself. I don't see a need to travel over wood chips like last year and then through a mini forrest of dust from the cars ahead.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:03 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

I didn't mind the actual venue last year but the entrance/exit was terrible. I ended up meeting a fellow RL member where we then met about 15 or so other people and cruised in together. We got there early and I was 3rd in line of the group. The first car was a GT3 RS, I believe and as the entrance worker waved him to go, the second car in the group was right behind him. Little did he know but the GT3 RS driving on wood chips in the cold air ended up basically doing a burn out on the wood chips and sprayed the 2nd car with the wood chips. The entrance worker kept trying to get me to come up closer behind the 2nd car and I was like nope. I'll wait for him to clear the uphill on wood chips. Hopefully, they come up with a better solution if it's held at the same place this year.

If anybody is interested in meeting up, let me know.
Was nice meeting you last year.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 08-02-2022 at 09:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Itzkirb:
josephr25 (08-03-2022), KelvinC (08-04-2022), monchter (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:54 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Was nice meeting you last year.

Nice to meet you too and thanks again for letting me join your group. Let me know if you guys are going to meet up again. I'd love to join. See you in a few weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
Itzkirb (08-05-2022), KelvinC (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 501 Likes on 368 Posts

Highline Autos will be there!

We will be at the following events, and our Monterey Car Week Guides will be around town, if you see us, say hi!

August 18th - 20th Mecum Monterey
August 18th - 20th Russo and Steele
August 18th - 20th Pebble Beach RetroAuto
August 19th - The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering
August 17th-19th - Bonhams Quail Lodge Auction
August 19th - 20th RM Sotheby’s Monterey
August 20th - Concorso italiano
August 20th- Exotics on Broadway
August 21th - Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 08-04-2022, 12:18 PM
Guaji
Racer

Last year I went to events everyday and visited Canepa too. This year I wouldn’t mind taking some time to explore the roads between Santa Cruz and San Jose. I hear there are some nice roads to explore. Maybe on a Saturday or another day if anyone is interested or has recommendations.

Last edited by Guaji; 08-04-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:09 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Ill be there Four days spending most of my mornings at the track in Legends club

Afternoons and evenings at auctions and dinner

Please introduce yourself if you bump into me

6 4 220 lbs wearing a deplorable shirt and MAGA hat

Hard to miss in liberal Monterey

Old 08-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Emsworth
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking forward to attending Werks for the first time with my 981 Boxster GTS. @Guaji this thread has a pretty good list of driving roads in the area: https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html

Hwy 9 is amazing, but you'll want to go early!
Guaji (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 03:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emsworth
Looking forward to attending Werks for the first time with my 981 Boxster GTS. @Guaji this thread has a pretty good list of driving roads in the area: https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html

Hwy 9 is amazing, but you'll want to go early!
Thanks for sharing. Didn't know that thread existed. I'll definitely be reading it over. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat in the Santa Cruz area? I've driven a little of the area around Alice's Restaurant as I went there last year and then from there went to Napa. No Napa plans this year. Not 100% sure of Saturday plans but maybe checking Cannery Row and maybe Exotics on Broadway and doing some back road driving.

@Guaji I saw your post about doing some driving on Saturday. Do you have a group going?
Old 08-07-2022, 03:49 PM
Guaji
Racer

Thanks for sharing. Didn't know that thread existed. I'll definitely be reading it over. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat in the Santa Cruz area? I've driven a little of the area around Alice's Restaurant as I went there last year and then from there went to Napa. No Napa plans this year. Not 100% sure of Saturday plans but maybe checking Cannery Row and maybe Exotics on Broadway and doing some back road driving.

@Guaji I saw your post about doing some driving on Saturday. Do you have a group going?
I have a feeling some of the people I will be driving up with will want to do other things . I think we might go to Canepa Thursday, we will be arriving Wednesday. So maybe Saturday will be a good day to drive the 9 and other roads as @Emsworth suggested.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:21 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Looked on Google Maps and these two routes look fun. I'd be coming from Santa Cruz and would go up the 9 and then turn onto the 236. From there, I might continue north on the 9 and then turn around at Saratoga and come back south on the 9 and stop at the Sawmill for lunch. For the natives in the area, can anybody offer any opinions on this plan; good, bad and the ugly aside from some of the notes below from the original thread?

• Hwy-9 from Saratoga to Boulder Creek (begins as you cross Sanborn Creek) - https://goo.gl/maps/vSH183Lrfxq (~18 miles)
    • Beautiful sweeping run down through the Redwoods, doesn't get much better than this
    • Matt Farah reviewed an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio as part of his signature 'One Take' series on this road - YouTube
  • Hwy-236 / Big Basin / Boulder Creek - https://goo.gl/maps/N68nmyEFcnN2 (~17 miles)
    • Northern-half runs though Big Basin Redwoods State Park
      • It's very beautiful/scenic
      • And has a great road surface after being recently resurfaced
      • However, that northern-half is very narrow
        • It's effectively single lane on many stretches
        • Thus there's no room for (and you're often blind to) oncoming traffic
        • You need to keep your pace way down for reasons of basic safety
      • But for a slow paced drive, this section is very pretty
    • Southern-half below the park opens up and is similar to Hwy-9 (also close by)
      • You can more easily stretch your legs in this section...
    • Recommended by SLVRon
Guaji (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 12:42 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

We do not call Highway 9, ‘the 9’ here in NorCal…😉
Old 08-08-2022, 01:08 AM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
We do not call Highway 9, ‘the 9’ here in NorCal…😉
LOL! We don't refer to any of our highways as "the [insert number here]" in Oregon. I've always assumed that was a SoCal thing.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:43 PM
Emsworth
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

@halfmonkey try Lillian's in Santa Cruz. If @Guaji or you want to do a drive on Thursday morning, DM me. Am happy to show you some local roads in the Santa Cruz mountains. I'll be at different Car Week events Friday, Sat and Sun.
Guaji (08-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Werks Reunion, Monterey