Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

advice on a bad situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 06:38 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm starting to think that the PPF obsession is getting out of hand. I get it though- for a car that gets used every day, there used to be an acceptance that the hood and bumpers were going to get scratched, dinged, and chipped, and PPF can make that all but go away.

But to go as far as thinking you can't use your car for 90 days after a repair? That's kind of ridiculous.

Worse comes to worse, if anything does indeed happen to the finish during that time (barring another incident or huge stone chip, which PPF probably wouldn't help with anyway), wouldn't a quick correction prior to PPF make it all better?
Yeah, the hood is already getting repainted, so in the unlikely worst case that it picks up some damage before the PPF goes on, you can always fix it up again, and it's not like you're spoiling the factory paint at that point. Most likely though a quick clay and polish before the PPF goes on will be all it needs.
The following users liked this post:
mnl (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 08:56 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,008 Posts

60-90 days is the longest i've ever heard someone claim you should wait for paint to cure. The bay area is not some magical place.

We spray paint and bake it, and PPF often goes on within days. The factory bakes paint too, it's just they get to bake it at much higher temps so the aftermarket technically can not duplicate a factory paint job from that respect. Booth atmospheres are pretty regulated, blowers, heaters, specific programmed cycles that happen to cure the paint. You can't compensate for everything, but it's not like SF is 100% humidity 365 days a year or gets 50c temps or -50c.

At one of the shops I worked at when we were spraying standox it was hard as a rock after the bake cycle and it got wet sanded and polished the same day and PPF often went on the next day. In all my time at a bodyshop only once did we have PPF peel the paint off when removed, and taht was on an aftermarket bumper that comes primed. Proper prep haven't seen it peel; in theory it's possible but also whoever is taking the PPF off shouldn't just strong arm it by brute force.

Get it fixed, maybe wait a week for peace of mind, and then PPF it.
wizee (04-30-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:25 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 214 Posts

As others have said, you are overthinking it.

Get it painted, but ask the paint shop not to cut and polish it so that the clear is as thick as possible. Wait two weeks and then as part of getting the boot lid wrapped, get it paint corrected. This will take care of any minor chips you might pick up, and the heat created by the cutting and polish will aid in the final curing. I've used this method on both my 488 and Lusso, both which have soft paints compared to the Germans. Zero issues with peel.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:35 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Why didnt you park in your driveway with cameras at midnight? Seems odd to have a house and a car like this and no driveway or cameras?
I personally don't see how cameras will help. You'll just watch them damage your car after the fact IMO.

From what I read, the main issue with Cali is there is simply no consequences for petty crime like this. Looks like a free for all. Store employees are not supposed to stop theft? I apologize in advance if I am wrong, just what I read on the interwebs.
Zhao (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 01:09 AM
mnl
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 37 Posts

wow so many more replies than i expected, thanks everyone! really appreciate hearing everyones thoughts! actually feeling a bit better with everyone saying the 60-90 day quote they gave me is too long, maybe its just because that shop doesn't have a curing booth so i just need to find one that _does_ have a curing booth and then it should be a much more reasonable timeframe.

Originally Posted by IRM
Did you do that to your badge yourself to justify the purchase of the CF hood? huh?
Sorry man some people are just little pieces of s....! Nonetheless, those 60-90 days prior PPF is just nuts. I don't buy it. I would bet you wait 10 days and nothing happens. I would actually bet it by doing it if it was mine but that's just my risk aversion level.
Good luck!
😂 nope definitely didnt do this myself, would've been cheaper to just buy the carbon hood vs buy carbon + fix it haha

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm starting to think that the PPF obsession is getting out of hand. I get it though- for a car that gets used every day, there used to be an acceptance that the hood and bumpers were going to get scratched, dinged, and chipped, and PPF can make that all but go away.
But to go as far as thinking you can't use your car for 90 days after a repair? That's kind of ridiculous.
Worse comes to worse, if anything does indeed happen to the finish during that time (barring another incident or huge stone chip, which PPF probably wouldn't help with anyway), wouldn't a quick correction prior to PPF make it all better?
Originally Posted by remington
I'm sorry that happened to you, I know it's heartbreaking but it will pass. A good paint shop and a new Porsche emblem and it will be good to go.
As an aside I agree with some others that this illustrates the down side to PPF that is often not discussed in the PPF cheerleading that goes on in the forums, It can often be more hassle and expense than simply repairing paint. This would be an example. And it's one reason my GT4 is unwrapped.
Good luck, it will be fine.
yea i see what you two mean with this probably being a bit too far, maybe you're right and doing a fixup before the PPF would be fine and wouldn't need extra curing time…

Originally Posted by Dyim
I applaud you for being so chilled about this. I think I would have killed someone if this happened to me.
Anyways, seems like you value your time enjoying the car over the total out of pocket cost to fix this. Which is smart IMO. Easier to make more money than time.
My suggestion would be buy CF hood and install. Let body shop take their time to fix whatever they need to do. PPF repainted hood.
During this wait, then decide whether you want to go back to chalk hood.
If you want the chalk back, then sell CF hood on here.
The other option would be to find a hood from the junkyard and repaint it as a temporary substitute. Or wrap it in CF instead of repainting to chalk.
yea i mean its freaking annoying and the whole ordeal is just too much trouble to just think about what i'm going to end up doing to fix it, but at this point some it's already messed up so i guess getting more mad doesn't really help anything so i try to be more chill for my own sake haha
and yes that's my thought with the buying a second hood, basically just paying for the time with the car which is what's been most frustrating for me, think about what i'm gonna do without a car for however long it takes to get it fixed [where if i buy a hood then there's zero downtime just a couple hours or whatever to do the swap]

Originally Posted by nothingman
I'm feeling your pain, ouch! Whoever did that...
If it were mine, I'd probably drive it as-is though the summer and wait until the off season before getting it fixed. I realize in your area the off season isn't as extreme weather with snow as most parts of the country, but still.
yea i was also considering just swapping the badge and leaving the rest as is for a while…

Originally Posted by Klepper
I am questioning the 60-90 days required to "cure" as well. That does not sound right. Your original paint from the factory didn't cure for 60-90 days.
as i mentioned above i think the reasoning for this extra long cure time is due to the lack of a curing booth [i could very well be wrong tho!]

Originally Posted by Formulabob
Hood on my Guards Red 981 CGTS was vandalized and had to be repainted. Body shop here in Florida painted the hood and then left car in sun for a day to cure. Decided paint match was not perfect so repainted and left in sun for two days. Shop owner said to wait a couple more days before PPF which was not a problem for me. That was three years ago but someone else now has that wonderful car as I pre-traded it on my soon to arrive 4.0 CGTS.
Could cure time vary by color (or paint manufacturer)? Possibly, but Guards Red is a very difficult color match. The shop pulled it off and they were the upscale car go to shop in my area so I would tend to trust their recommendations. Florida sun is a problem for paint more often than a cure, but perhaps it helped my paint/PPF situation.
At any rate, enjoy the car.
yea florida was one of the examples they told me where the curing time is like under a week due to weather, from what i understand its just the pure heat that helps speed up the curing process

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Why didnt you park in your driveway with cameras at midnight? Seems odd to have a house and a car like this and no driveway or cameras?
Originally Posted by Dyim
I personally don't see how cameras will help. You'll just watch them damage your car after the fact IMO.
From what I read, the main issue with Cali is there is simply no consequences for petty crime like this. Looks like a free for all. Store employees are not supposed to stop theft? I apologize in advance if I am wrong, just what I read on the interwebs.
sf…my garage is not in my house, its down the block which is downhill from my place, so i was trying to be more efficient and take my backpack + luggage + snowboard down right next to the house and drop that off first instead of having to drag all that stuff uphill if i parked first. but like Dyim said i dont know that a camera would change much tbh, break ins etc in here are just a thing and dont ever seem to be solved.
like i said before, i've parked there plenty of times before and left the car unattended for longer than two minutes without incident. there's also some people who just always street park their cars here [i've seen 911s, a GT3, AMG GT, RR…all sorts] so i never expected anything like this to happen in literally under two minutes, just bad luck i guess. i even went to check on the GT3 yesterday and even tho it was parked overnight the same day mine got messed up that one is still spotless 🤷🏻‍♂️
sidenote: yes i think depending on the store, employees are not supposed to stop theft, or i guess _some kind of theft_ like if they pull a gun then its not worth it just let them take the stuff, but if its a teenager trying to shoplift then that might be different.

Originally Posted by sin911
Sorry about the incident. It really sucks and cannot believe people do this kind of vandalism for a $50 or whatever badge they can get online themselves…
In regards to proceeding forward, if the shop recommended such a long time for paint to cure I personally would buy an additional oem hood, have it painted and let it cure for recommended time (then have it ppf’ed) but keep driving the car as is since the damage is done in the mean time.
Best of luck!
i know right, all this damage for a cheapish badge that they didnt even end up getting…so annoying.

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Done this many times. A good paint shop should easily match and blend paint then clear whole hood. Then they double bake and PPF goes on in one week. You to Not have to wait so long, not with a good paint shop. If paint shops are so worried sounds like they don’t have confidence in their work.
Originally Posted by Zhao
60-90 days is the longest i've ever heard someone claim you should wait for paint to cure. The bay area is not some magical place.
We spray paint and bake it, and PPF often goes on within days. The factory bakes paint too, it's just they get to bake it at much higher temps so the aftermarket technically can not duplicate a factory paint job from that respect. Booth atmospheres are pretty regulated, blowers, heaters, specific programmed cycles that happen to cure the paint. You can't compensate for everything, but it's not like SF is 100% humidity 365 days a year or gets 50c temps or -50c.
At one of the shops I worked at when we were spraying standox it was hard as a rock after the bake cycle and it got wet sanded and polished the same day and PPF often went on the next day. In all my time at a bodyshop only once did we have PPF peel the paint off when removed, and taht was on an aftermarket bumper that comes primed. Proper prep haven't seen it peel; in theory it's possible but also whoever is taking the PPF off shouldn't just strong arm it by brute force.
Get it fixed, maybe wait a week for peace of mind, and then PPF it.
Originally Posted by Il CP
As others have said, you are overthinking it.
Get it painted, but ask the paint shop not to cut and polish it so that the clear is as thick as possible. Wait two weeks and then as part of getting the boot lid wrapped, get it paint corrected. This will take care of any minor chips you might pick up, and the heat created by the cutting and polish will aid in the final curing. I've used this method on both my 488 and Lusso, both which have soft paints compared to the Germans. Zero issues with peel.
yea need to find a shop with a curing booth, i thought those were rare but from what im hearing here it sounds like it may not be that hard to find
Old 04-29-2022, 03:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts
Default GT2 Porsche logo sticker...

Suggestion - remove the PPF and badge, fill in the divit, paint, and then new PPF, and THEN apply the 997.2 GT2 RS Porsche Logo sticker instead and it is possible this could happen (arggggh) again.

https://www.fvd.net/de-en/9965592119...e-porsche.html

Let them take the sticker and not damage the car.

Just a thought...

Last edited by Zeus993; 04-29-2022 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:07 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

I highly recommend calling a few Porsche certified auto body shops then ask a bunch of questions on what they believe the best solution is. Regarding the ppf and paint, my shop told me that there is no need to wait, to ppf the car, as they bake the paint inside the paint booth.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:18 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

My brother lives in SF and just loves it there. But on my visits to him I have seen some looney tunes walking the streets. Really sorry that this happened. Sounds like it was wrong time, wrong place. Almost every good auto paint and repair shop in Florida has a curing booth, I can’t imagine that there’s not a good shop in SF that doesn’t have one. Check with other high end dealers, MB, BMW, Lambo and see what shops they use. Thankfully chalk is non metallic so it will be much easier to match to the car. Best of luck.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:16 AM
mnl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Suggestion - remove the PPF and badge, fill in the divit, paint, and then new PPF, and THEN apply the 997.2 GT2 RS Porsche Logo sticker instead and it is possible this could happen (arggggh) again.
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/9965592119...e-porsche.html
Let them take the sticker and not damage the car.
Just a thought...
haha yea i was also thinking about getting a sticker instead of the regular badge

Originally Posted by 9eight7
I highly recommend calling a few Porsche certified auto body shops then ask a bunch of questions on what they believe the best solution is. Regarding the ppf and paint, my shop told me that there is no need to wait, to ppf the car, as they bake the paint inside the paint booth.
Originally Posted by OldJedi
My brother lives in SF and just loves it there. But on my visits to him I have seen some looney tunes walking the streets. Really sorry that this happened. Sounds like it was wrong time, wrong place. Almost every good auto paint and repair shop in Florida has a curing booth, I can’t imagine that there’s not a good shop in SF that doesn’t have one. Check with other high end dealers, MB, BMW, Lambo and see what shops they use. Thankfully chalk is non metallic so it will be much easier to match to the car. Best of luck.
that would definitely make things easier, will look for a place with a curing booth…thanks!
Old 05-03-2022, 03:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by mnl
haha yea i was also thinking about getting a sticker instead of the regular badge
that would definitely make things easier, will look for a place with a curing booth…thanks!
Especially if you have no other choice than to park her on the street. Street parking is brutal on so many fronts. I rent an extra parking spot for $150 a month, which may see like a lot but I rest easy knowing she's safely tucked away.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:39 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 560 Posts

I feel for the OP. I would be really pissed and things like this tend to bring out a degree of anxiety for me. However, it does go to the point that the ownership experience of a car is far more than just buying the car with regards to many things.

Do you live near your dealer or a reputable shop for maintenance for instance? Do you live near a track our is it an ordeal to get to one? Do you even have time to get to a track? Do you live near roads where you can enjoy your car? How much is the insurance cost? And yes...do you have a place where you can properly and safely keep your car? All these things need to be considered. I don't even take my Spyder anywhere if I think the parking situation is going to be compromised. One must also consider the overall environment one is living and spending time in before deciding what type of vehicle to have as a daily driver.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:19 PM
mnl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Especially if you have no other choice than to park her on the street. Street parking is brutal on so many fronts. I rent an extra parking spot for $150 a month, which may see like a lot but I rest easy knowing she's safely tucked away.
yep i do rent an extra garage for like $320/month, like i said this was in the 2min it took to drop my bags before going down the street to my garage

Originally Posted by VVG
I feel for the OP. I would be really pissed and things like this tend to bring out a degree of anxiety for me. However, it does go to the point that the ownership experience of a car is far more than just buying the car with regards to many things.
Do you live near your dealer or a reputable shop for maintenance for instance? Do you live near a track our is it an ordeal to get to one? Do you even have time to get to a track? Do you live near roads where you can enjoy your car? How much is the insurance cost? And yes...do you have a place where you can properly and safely keep your car? All these things need to be considered. I don't even take my Spyder anywhere if I think the parking situation is going to be compromised. One must also consider the overall environment one is living and spending time in before deciding what type of vehicle to have as a daily driver.
yea i agree, i do understand that and i did consider all that before i got the car, like i said before i do rent an actual garage spot where it lives when im not driving it, but s*** happens and you can't prevent everything so all i can do now is fix it 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 05-09-2022, 09:11 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

A good shop will bake the hood in a curing booth. And have the car back to you in under a week.

Mark

you will need a full respray of the hood.
mnl (05-09-2022)

Quick Reply: advice on a bad situation