Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

advice on a bad situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:00 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 913 Posts

Be like the VW guys and sand your whole hood and let it rust for that look. Although I think your hood is aluminum so it may not get the right look.

On a serious note, how about a junkyard hood to use while it is curing. A Sawzall could give you the proper vent holes and it may actually be kind of fun for a couple of months. Show up to C&C with your Frankenporsche and turn heads.
The following users liked this post:
mnl (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:07 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

I am questioning the 60-90 days required to "cure" as well. That does not sound right. Your original paint from the factory didn't cure for 60-90 days.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:15 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,910 Likes on 2,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
I am questioning the 60-90 days required to "cure" as well. That does not sound right. Your original paint from the factory didn't cure for 60-90 days.
OEM paint is cured in production because it’s essentially baked in an oven.

OP, you are way overthinking this. Get it repaired and enjoy it. Follow the recommended cure time and then get it PPF’d.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
mnl (04-29-2022), Russv (04-29-2022), Zeus993 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
OEM paint is cured in production because it’s essentially baked in an oven.

OP, you are way overthinking this. Get it repaired and enjoy it. Follow the recommended cure time and then get it PPF’d.
This. I used to work in a automotive tier 1 injection mold and paint facility. Large ovens that will cure it in about 40 minutes.
mnl (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:32 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 757 Posts

I put PPF in cars anywhere between one week and two years since purchase, so far the rennlist police did not arrest me.
You can get is fixed and wait to PPF without major issues. A darker color would be more problematic. Save some of the paint in case you need to fill in any chips.
mnl (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:39 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
This. I used to work in a automotive tier 1 injection mold and paint facility. Large ovens that will cure it in about 40 minutes.
Interesting. So a repair facility wouldn't remove the hood, paint it, and cure it in a similar oven? I thought when whole body panels were painted they were done off the car.

Obviously I have no idea how this works, lol.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:53 AM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Hood on my Guards Red 981 CGTS was vandalized and had to be repainted. Body shop here in Florida painted the hood and then left car in sun for a day to cure. Decided paint match was not perfect so repainted and left in sun for two days. Shop owner said to wait a couple more days before PPF which was not a problem for me. That was three years ago but someone else now has that wonderful car as I pre-traded it on my soon to arrive 4.0 CGTS.

Could cure time vary by color (or paint manufacturer)? Possibly, but Guards Red is a very difficult color match. The shop pulled it off and they were the upscale car go to shop in my area so I would tend to trust their recommendations. Florida sun is a problem for paint more often than a cure, but perhaps it helped my paint/PPF situation.

At any rate, enjoy the car.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:07 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 549 Posts

I had a hood repainted and the shop owner suggested waiting 1 week before applying film which I did. Three months later I caught a rock on the hood and had to have it repaired. No paint came off when they removed the film.
mnl (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:21 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Klepper
Interesting. So a repair facility wouldn't remove the hood, paint it, and cure it in a similar oven? I thought when whole body panels were painted they were done off the car.

Obviously I have no idea how this works, lol.
Unfortunately, when whole body panels are done they usually do it on the car to be able to blend it with the other panels and make sure any flake is oriented the right way. When a car is painted in the factory it is always with the doors and hood on for this reason. They then remove the doors and sometimes the hood to finish the manufacturing but the doors and hood that were painted with that car move along on a parallel belt to make sure they go back to the car they were painted with if not, the paint may not match. If you look up on most automotive production lines, you may see the doors hanging above the car moving with it through production to make sure it gets mated back to the original vehicle.

Being that your whole hood probably doesn't need to be painted and your car is a rather easy color, they can probably blend it on the hood but only your body shop can tell you that.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:14 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Unfortunately, when whole body panels are done they usually do it on the car to be able to blend it with the other panels and make sure any flake is oriented the right way. When a car is painted in the factory it is always with the doors and hood on for this reason. They then remove the doors and sometimes the hood to finish the manufacturing but the doors and hood that were painted with that car move along on a parallel belt to make sure they go back to the car they were painted with if not, the paint may not match. If you look up on most automotive production lines, you may see the doors hanging above the car moving with it through production to make sure it gets mated back to the original vehicle.

Being that your whole hood probably doesn't need to be painted and your car is a rather easy color, they can probably blend it on the hood but only your body shop can tell you that.
Makes sense, thanks
Old 04-28-2022, 12:21 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,456 Likes on 520 Posts

I'm sorry that happened to you, I know it's heartbreaking but it will pass. A good paint shop and a new Porsche emblem and it will be good to go.

As an aside I agree with some others that this illustrates the down side to PPF that is often not discussed in the PPF cheerleading that goes on in the forums, It can often be more hassle and expense than simply repairing paint. This would be an example. And it's one reason my GT4 is unwrapped.

Good luck, it will be fine.
dnimi123 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 01:33 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 688 Posts

Why didnt you park in your driveway with cameras at midnight? Seems odd to have a house and a car like this and no driveway or cameras?
Old 04-28-2022, 01:33 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I'm sorry that happened to you, I know it's heartbreaking but it will pass. A good paint shop and a new Porsche emblem and it will be good to go.

As an aside I agree with some others that this illustrates the down side to PPF that is often not discussed in the PPF cheerleading that goes on in the forums, It can often be more hassle and expense than simply repairing paint. This would be an example. And it's one reason my GT4 is unwrapped.

Good luck, it will be fine.
Mine is unwrapped as well and couldnt be happier...
Old 04-28-2022, 03:38 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 441 Posts

Sorry about the incident. It really sucks and cannot believe people do this kind of vandalism for a $50 or whatever badge they can get online themselves…

In regards to proceeding forward, if the shop recommended such a long time for paint to cure I personally would buy an additional oem hood, have it painted and let it cure for recommended time (then have it ppf’ed) but keep driving the car as is since the damage is done in the mean time.

Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2022, 06:32 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Done this many times. A good paint shop should easily match and blend paint then clear whole hood. Then they double bake and PPF goes on in one week. You to Not have to wait so long, not with a good paint shop. If paint shops are so worried sounds like they don’t have confidence in their work.

Quick Reply: advice on a bad situation