Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 wheels on GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:38 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfun33
Thanks for that information. Have you changed your alignment from stock?

The 5mm clearance isn't much. I wonder if it could ever rub in some dynamic condition of cornering, hitting bumps, etc.

Regards,
Dave
It's certainly tight for sure. I don't really see how it could rub as the closest point is on the wheel itself due to how the suspension is angled. Unless the wheel and/or the suspension itself could move left to right, which do not think happens (I certainly could be wrong) should be fine. If anyone feels this is not the case please let me know but have been assured this will be fine on the car.

No, I have not changed my alignment from stock.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:42 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gordotre
It's certainly tight for sure. I don't really see how it could rub as the closest point is on the wheel itself due to how the suspension is angled. Unless the wheel and/or the suspension itself could move left to right, which do not think happens (I certainly could be wrong) should be fine. If anyone feels this is not the case please let me know but have been assured this will be fine on the car.

Okay, good to know. Looking at the suspension, it seems like the tightest points are on the lower half of the wheel, so additional negative camber should give a bit more clearance. I do plan to swap to the GT3 style lower control arms, so I can add shims for more negative camber.

Dave
Old 04-18-2022, 12:52 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

BTW, I would love to see pictures of the BBS wheels on your GTS 4.0.

Dave
Old 04-18-2022, 01:14 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

BTW, I would love to see pictures of the BBS wheels on your GTS 4.0.

Dave
Snapped a couple quick pics.

The following 4 users liked this post by gordotre:
JBM718GTS (04-18-2022), josephr25 (04-18-2022), justbob (09-13-2022), TomTarzian (05-02-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=gordotre;18094944]Snapped a couple quick pics.

[/QUOTE

Thanks. They look good.

Dave
Old 04-18-2022, 03:17 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=rcfun33;18094983]
Snapped a couple quick pics.

[/QUOTE

Thanks. They look good.

Dave
The other great thing was I weighed everything and even with the larger tires and wider rear wheels I shed 21lbs. of unsprung weight.
BTW: I did forget to mention I have 7MM spacers in the front.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:20 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

[QUOTE=gordotre;18095199]
The other great thing was I weighed everything and even with the larger tires and wider rear wheels I shed 21lbs. of unsprung weight.
BTW: I did forget to mention I have 7MM spacers in the front.
how about a side photo, do they protrude past the fender at all?
Old 04-18-2022, 03:29 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=UncleDude;18095205]
how about a side photo, do they protrude past the fender at all?
side shots front and rear

front:

rear (Have been told a 3mm spacer can be added to back for even more inner clearance without risk of being too far out)

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (04-18-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 12:11 AM
Terry Wong
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Enough Clearance!

Spoke to the Porsche Centre here - their lead service rep spoke directly to the factory in Germany. The GT4/Spyder wheels WILL fit onto a GTS 4.0. The fronts aren't an issue. However the rears are SO close to the strut assembly that tire flex under cornering load could easily result in the tire sidewall contacting the suspension.

Porsche suggests - don't do it. If you want the look, go have custom wheels made with the correct size and offset for the GTS 4.0.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 02:26 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Wong
Spoke to the Porsche Centre here - their lead service rep spoke directly to the factory in Germany. The GT4/Spyder wheels WILL fit onto a GTS 4.0. The fronts aren't an issue. However the rears are SO close to the strut assembly that tire flex under cornering load could easily result in the tire sidewall contacting the suspension.

Porsche suggests - don't do it. If you want the look, go have custom wheels made with the correct size and offset for the GTS 4.0.
Yeah, the 5mm spacing measured by gordotre seems awful tight. I was under just under my gts, on a lift, and there are a couple of kind of tight spots with the stock wheels. It looks like the tightest spots are below the center line, so more negative camber might help very slightly. If adding a 3mm shim is acceptable as stated by gordotre that would give 8mm plus any help from the additional camber. If it is less than 10mm, that still seems pretty tight.

Dave
Old 04-22-2022, 02:44 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the 5mm spacing measured by gordotre seems awful tight. I was under just under my gts, on a lift, and there are a couple of kind of tight spots with the stock wheels. It looks like the tightest spots are below the center line, so more negative camber might help very slightly. If adding a 3mm shim is acceptable as stated by gordotre that would give 8mm plus any help from the additional camber. If it is less than 10mm, that still seems pretty tight.

Dave
I have ordered 3mm spacers and should be getting them in a week or so. Once I install and verify the fender clearance I will let everyone know. The tightest spot is with the wheel not the tire due to the angle of the suspension. I have driven the car a few times (some cornering but nothing to hard) since getting the wheels installed and so far no issues whatsoever.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:15 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

I have ordered 3mm spacers and should be getting them in a week or so. Once I install and verify the fender clearance I will let everyone know. The tightest spot is with the wheel not the tire due to the angle of the suspension. I have driven the car a few times (some cornering but nothing to hard) since getting the wheels installed and so far no issues whatsoever.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have a deposit with SupremePower, so I would definitely like to have confidence that these wheels are acceptable before going forward with the purchase. While these won't be track wheels, my street driving is mostly spirited canyon driving, pushing it around street corners, etc.

Moving the tops of the struts inward for increased camber can provide a little fender room at the top. I plan to have a track alignment with plenty of negative camber, so the tops can be pushed in as far as they will go. Hopefully that would fix any fender spacing issue.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:42 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Where did you order your 3mm spacers from?

Dave
Old 04-25-2022, 07:12 PM
gordotre
Rennlist Member

Where did you order your 3mm spacers from?

Dave
I ordered them from SupremePower, same place I bought the wheels from.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM
akissing997718
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

Appreciate the input so far. I did go ahead and purchase the wheels. Deal was too good. Basically got the tires for free so if nothing else can use those and resell wheels.

Interested to hear how the 3mm spacers work. I ordered 10mm spacers from ECS based on calculations from willtheyfit for the rear but they’re on back order and would prefer smaller ones if possible to prevent wheels from sticking out too far.

thanks
-Alex

Quick Reply: GT4 wheels on GTS 4.0