Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can't decide! 718 GTS, 718 Spyder or 718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 10:07 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
... without having to worry about accessing the frunk and the trunk.
So choosing a Cayman GTS 4.0 or a GT4 will have a bit of a more practicality in terms of putting items in the little area behind the seats. Just food for thought. Good luck!
What little area behind the seats? I have a GTS 4.0...there's no space whatsoever behind the seats. (the seat backs touch the engine wall compartment)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Do you even own/have owned a GT4 because I can tell you this is all absolute nonsense…

His described use case is the exact reason a GT4/Spyder should be top consideration. I have several GT cars and the GT4 is the most compliant and streetable of the bunch. This not some hardcore track car. It’s very much a street car that you can take to the track. This is not the RS.

As far as the washing complaint… My 997 and 991 GT cars all shared the same vent and I have never heard of this being a legit complaint lmao… The fact this is on the “do not buy” reason list just shows how much people are grasping for straws to discount the validity of the GT4/Spyder in order to feel good about their decision not to buy one
Why the hostility, phow? The man asked for opinions. I gave him one. That's what "IMHO" means. You sound like someone trying to justify your own questionable decision.

The differences between the GTS and the GT4 are all about comfort for road use vs track use (including removing the unnecessary-for-street-use wing). The GTS was made for exactly what the OP is looking for - weekend toy, back roads, driving around town. Are you telling me the GT4 is better for those use cases? And I believe the 991.2 is even better, for about the same money, AND allows him to put his 5 year old in the back seat for some my-dad's-got-a-racecar fun.

OP is considering not getting the Spyder because he doesn't like the manual top. I'm making the assumption that he might also not like water from the smile vent schpritzing his freshly washed car on his first drive out, requiring him to re-wipe down the front half of his beautiful GT4. I don't think that's a stretch.

FWIW, see my avatar pic? That's me at Watkins Glen doing 135 at the top of the esses. I have a GT4. The GT4 is the PERFECT street/track car for me. I can take it to the grocery store, go straight to the track with the appropriate safety equipment installed, and then throw my golf clubs in the back for a weekend round. But I can tell you, if I wasn't tracking it, I'd be in a 991.2 all day.

Of course - you do you, and OP will do OP. But this thread is about opinions. This one is mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by mgordon18:
GT3FZS (03-26-2022), Webfiero (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
What little area behind the seats? I have a GTS 4.0...there's no space whatsoever behind the seats. (the seat backs touch the engine wall compartment)
It depends on where one positions the seats but regardless, there is only room for a couple of smooshed ballcaps and a towel for wiping stuff off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Ramon Vennik (03-07-2022), TikiLou (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

too stiff ?
My first impression on the Spyder was, "WOW, this suspension is way more comfortable than my Boxster with X73", if the GTS has even more comfort, I probably would have ended with an Final Edition Exige 😜
And the "smile" washing dilemma, had it once, not a big deal (not even when driving topless) but a Blo car dryer solves this.
No brainer = 25 year edition of Boxster (it's kind of special too).
The following users liked this post:
wizee (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:26 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
too stiff ?
My first impression on the Spyder was, "WOW, this suspension is way more comfortable than my Boxster with X73", if the GTS has even more comfort, I probably would have ended with an Final Edition Exige 😜
And the "smile" washing dilemma, had it once, not a big deal (not even when driving topless) but a Blo car dryer solves this.
Yeah, at least on the Spyder, while it's obviously not soft like a luxury car, it's fairly compliant, comfortable, and rough road friendly by hardcore sports car standards. It's definitely softer riding than my AMG GT S was.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:30 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Why the hostility, phow? The man asked for opinions. I gave him one. That's what "IMHO" means. You sound like someone trying to justify your own questionable decision.

The differences between the GTS and the GT4 are all about comfort for road use vs track use (including removing the unnecessary-for-street-use wing). The GTS was made for exactly what the OP is looking for - weekend toy, back roads, driving around town. Are you telling me the GT4 is better for those use cases? And I believe the 991.2 is even better, for about the same money, AND allows him to put his 5 year old in the back seat for some my-dad's-got-a-racecar fun.

OP is considering not getting the Spyder because he doesn't like the manual top. I'm making the assumption that he might also not like water from the smile vent schpritzing his freshly washed car on his first drive out, requiring him to re-wipe down the front half of his beautiful GT4. I don't think that's a stretch.

FWIW, see my avatar pic? That's me at Watkins Glen doing 135 at the top of the esses. I have a GT4. The GT4 is the PERFECT street/track car for me. I can take it to the grocery store, go straight to the track with the appropriate safety equipment installed, and then throw my golf clubs in the back for a weekend round. But I can tell you, if I wasn't tracking it, I'd be in a 991.2 all day.

Of course - you do you, and OP will do OP. But this thread is about opinions. This one is mine.
Zero hostility or questionable decisions over here buddy

I own a GT4 as well as other GT cars and non GT 911’s so I’m definitely qualified to call out this questionable “opinion”. If I start a statement with “IMHO” and then say the sky is purple, that doesn’t make my nonsensical statement all of a sudden off limits for rebuke.

The GT4 is not a track car as you claim per AP’s own words. The fact that you think it is, is an extremely subjective opinion and should be treated as such.

The rest of your statements are all over the places making it impossible to respond to the rest of your post… E.G. Comparing a non-GT turbo 991.2 to a NA GT product…

OP, drive them all if you can but take it from someone that has owned every gen GT3, most GT3 RS’s, and the current GT4 that this is NOT a hardcore track car. The GT4 and Spyder are positioned as Porsche’s fun enthusiast street cars that can also be tracked with few compromises.

In my opinion, the GT4 is the best GT product Porsche currently offers if you want a weekend backroad / canyon car that provides a real sense of occasion when you get behind the wheel.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

In my opinion, the GT4 Spyder is the best GT product Porsche currently offers if you want a weekend backroad / canyon car that provides a real sense of occasion when you get behind the wheel.
Fixed that for ya. (i kid! i kid!)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:43 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
too stiff ?
Yes. Too stiff. So far in this thread, the GT4's suspension stiffness has been compared to a Boxster with the x73 upgrades, to a poster's "several GT cars," and now an AMG GT S. Yeah - the GT4 might be more compliant than those. I'm sure it's also more compliant than a 917 racecar, but why not compare it to a more street-oriented setup? You can't, because it's not. Again - OP is looking for a weekend fun toy and driving around town. I'm thinking he'd be happier with a more compliant ride, especially since the overall performance differences are so hard to differentiate on the street.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:50 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by Adrift
Fixed that for ya. (i kid! i kid!)
Haha honestly when I say GT4, I mean to include Spyder as well. Both are fabulous and I would love to add a Spyder one day.

I actually think the Spyder provides a bit more sense of occasion than the GT4 with the top down.

Last edited by phow; 03-07-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Adrift (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 10:51 AM
phow
Pro

Yes. Too stiff. So far in this thread, the GT4's suspension stiffness has been compared to a Boxster with the x73 upgrades, to a poster's "several GT cars," and now an AMG GT S. Yeah - the GT4 might be more compliant than those. I'm sure it's also more compliant than a 917 racecar, but why not compare it to a more street-oriented setup? You can't, because it's not. Again - OP is looking for a weekend fun toy and driving around town. I'm thinking he'd be happier with a more compliant ride, especially since the overall performance differences are so hard to differentiate on the street.
The OP is coming from a first gen V10 R8. Have you driven one of those? GT4/Spyder is more complaint and handles far better.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:59 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Zero hostility or questionable decisions over here buddy

I own a GT4 as well as other GT cars and non GT 911’s so I’m definitely qualified to call out this questionable “opinion”. If I start a statement with “IMHO” and then say the sky is purple, that doesn’t make my nonsensical statement all of a sudden off limits for rebuke.

The GT4 is not a track car as you claim per AP’s own words. The fact that you think it is, is an extremely subjective opinion and should be treated as such.

The rest of your statements are all over the places making it impossible to respond to the rest of your post… E.G. Comparing a non-GT turbo 991.2 to a NA GT product…

OP, drive them all if you can but take it from someone that has owned every gen GT3, most GT3 RS’s, and the current GT4 that this is NOT a hardcore track car. The GT4 and Spyder are positioned as Porsche’s fun enthusiast street cars that can also be tracked with few compromises.

In my opinion, the GT4 is the best GT product Porsche currently offers if you want a weekend backroad / canyon car that provides a real sense of occasion when you get behind the wheel.
The OP is not comparing the GT4 to all the other GT cars (BTW- congrats! You must be very proud!). He's comparing to the GTS. Stick to what's being asked. The only person hung up on GT cars is you. And I never said the GT4 is a hardcore track car (or even a "track car" at all, for that matter). I'm saying it's more track-oriented than the GTS and that the differences between the two are track-oriented differences, and not worth getting if you're not planning on tracking it.

OP is looking for a car that's right for his life. He didn't mention anything about engine format, nor do I think he cares, since he's had both turbo and non-turbo cars (although I may be wrong, there...). I'm simply giving my opinion on what might be the right choice for him.

Last edited by mgordon18; 03-07-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added "since he's had..."
Old 03-07-2022, 11:08 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Yeah, at least on the Spyder, while it's obviously not soft like a luxury car, it's fairly compliant, comfortable, and rough road friendly by hardcore sports car standards. It's definitely softer riding than my AMG GT S was.
Well, I drove the 992 GT3 too, and even that one is quite comfortable, the front suspension is how ever way more precise than that of GT4 or Spyder.
Daily usability is way less than my Spyder (rollcage prevents using the space behind the seats).
Old 03-07-2022, 11:10 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

It appears that you have a 981 GT4. The 718 GT4 has better PASM programming and is far from too stiff in my opinion.

As you note though, each person has their own definition of what too stiff is.

Personally, I LOVE driving my GT4 on the street, and have put almost 6k miles on it in 15 months. It is a weekend toy for us, but I try to drive it every weekend.

Ron
wizee (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:10 AM
Shanh81
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Reviews are highly subjective between the cars depending on the persons taste. I was in the same thought process but ultimately buying a GT4 with majority of the plan to drive back roads with 6-8 track days a year. If no track, the spyder would have been my choice. The video below helped as Matt from Obsessed Garage is pretty good at articulating. Hope it helps and either way you are going to get an amazing car.

Last edited by Shanh81; 03-07-2022 at 11:12 AM.
phow (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 116 Posts
Default 718 GT4 vs GTS

Hard hitter, I own the 718 combo, a GT 4 and a GTS, both fantastic cars. I am a weekend driver who goes to the track once in a while. here are the differences in my experience. The 718 GT 4 equipped with manual. the suspension is very firm and this is great on track but can be bouncy or non compliant on undulating back roads. it keeps you on your toes if the road is irregular. Love the manual transmission, best shifter I have ever owned. Car is comfortable on highway and shifting gears is half the fun on the right roads. The 718 GTS with PDK is new and is simply awesome all around Cayman. The 4.0 makes the car special and in my opinion the suspension is tuned best for all around use. My car has a beautiful full leather interior and was dressed up to be a looker. The suspension is more comfortable on back roads and hiway use. It will get firm with sport mode but never super firm like GT4. I first owned a Cayman S in 2007 and Porsche has really evolved the car to be arguably the best all around Porsche. The GTS slightly over $100k is a bargain in the lineup. If you are mostly a weekend driver and yes want to drive aggressively the GTS works. For 95% of drivers the GTS can be the faster more comfortable ride, it will eat up a base Carrera with right driver. If you need a toddler seat buy a 997 or 991 model 911. Fortunate I can have both and avoid the either or dilemma. I suggest low risk is begin with GTS.

The following 4 users liked this post by Bucketlistx911:
GT3FZS (03-26-2022), mgordon18 (03-07-2022), phow (03-07-2022), raschla (04-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Can't decide! 718 GTS, 718 Spyder or 718 GT4?