Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Can't decide! 718 GTS, 718 Spyder or 718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:32 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can't decide! 718 GTS, 718 Spyder or 718 GT4?

Some background. I used to own a 997 Turbo and loved the car. Was my first Porsche and ended up selling the car when we were starting our family. Ended up getting a 2014 RS7 since it was the best combination of power, comfort and 4 seater for a baby when needed. Fast forward 6-8 months after having the baby and we never had installed a car seat in the RS7 and so I sold the RS7 and got a 2010 V10 gated 6 speed R8. LOVED this car but took a job which was a 50-60 mile commute and we were preparing to buy a house. Sold it January 2020 and bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance and then March 2020 hits and I have never had to go back into the office since. The downfall is that all cars have skyrocketed. The R8 I bought for $85K is now going for $120-$130K and I can't bring myself to spend that money after I already had it for $85K.

Fast forward to where I am now. Kid is going to be 4 years old, we bought our forever home and I am wanting another toy car. At first, I was intrigued with a 2016 GT4/Spyder but when I look at those prices for them currently, it seems as though they are only a little bit cheaper than the 718 models so I'd rather spend the extra money to get the newer model as I understand it is worth it? Then the GTS got announced with the 4.0L motor and I thought that may be the car for me to get but pricing wise, it seems to be similar as GT4/Spyder.

So as a weekend toy to be driven in the backroads a few times a month and/or few times just driving around town, which is the car to have? My understanding is the GTS is going to be the better all around "everyday" car, but again, when I want a "weekend toy" I want just that, a special toy and so it pushes me to the GT4/Spyder. I really like the design/looks of the Spyder and convertible/buttresses but then I'm annoyed that it is a manual job to put the top up/down.

I seriously can't decide which one to go with. I'm pretty all of these cars are in the 130-150K price range correct?

Popular Reply

03-06-2022, 11:19 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
You will eventually get an allocation for GTS 4.0 without much trouble, and possibly also for GT4/Spyder if you cast wide net. But it will be a wait, how long nobody knows given the war in Ukraine.

Your question is bit odd, first decide if you want a fixed roof or a vert. Once you make this determination, you need to decide whether to err on the comfort side, or on the edgier, sportier side.

I am buying Boxster GTS 4.0, because wantI a vert. And then want the blend of comfort and sportiness and I won't be dealing with the ridiculous Spyder's roof.

But if I was buying a coupe, I think I would go for GT4. It just looks meaner with the wing, and still appears very livable on rough roads (I just test drove one around Boston, where roads are about worst in North America).
The "ridiculous Spyder's roof" is the reason I picked it over the GTS as it helps to make the Spyder the most beautiful P-car made right now, and opening and closing it is second nature to me now.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Welcome.

I edited your title; there is no Boxster Spyder in the 982 line.

Here is a similar thread with a couple hundred responses

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-0-vs-gt4.html

The following users liked this post:
HardHitter (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:26 PM
SmallCapTrader
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts

Luckily you don't have to decide since it's nigh impossible to get an allocation
The following 2 users liked this post by SmallCapTrader:
D1coach (03-27-2022), DFW01TT (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:38 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

You will eventually get an allocation for GTS 4.0 without much trouble, and possibly also for GT4/Spyder if you cast wide net. But it will be a wait, how long nobody knows given the war in Ukraine.

Your question is bit odd, first decide if you want a fixed roof or a vert. Once you make this determination, you need to decide whether to err on the comfort side, or on the edgier, sportier side.

I am buying Boxster GTS 4.0, because want a vert. And then want the blend of comfort and sportiness and I won't be dealing with the ridiculous Spyder's roof.

But if I was buying a coupe, I think I would go for GT4. It just looks meaner with the wing, and still appears very livable on rough roads (I just test drove one around Boston, where roads are about worst in North America).

Last edited by unclemat; 03-07-2022 at 12:00 AM.
dnimi123 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:38 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
Luckily you don't have to decide since it's nigh impossible to get an allocation
Don't need a brand new one. Can wait until a "used" one shows up.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:19 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat

I am buying Boxster GTS 4.0, because wantI a vert. And then want the blend of comfort and sportiness and I won't be dealing with the ridiculous Spyder's roof.

The "ridiculous Spyder's roof" is the reason I picked it over the GTS as it helps to make the Spyder the most beautiful P-car made right now, and opening and closing it is second nature to me now.
The following 11 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
catdog2 (03-07-2022), CDACH (03-07-2022), Dbridges (03-07-2022), DFW01TT (03-07-2022), geistspyder (04-09-2022), Larry Cable (03-07-2022), QWKFLAT6 (03-07-2022), Ramon Vennik (03-07-2022), sanderabernathy (03-23-2022), Westcoast (03-07-2022), Zeus993 (03-07-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:56 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Just one advice: as 718 platform is only a 2 seater there is less interior space on the Boxster/Spyder models. Coming from a 997 chassis, I had ample space on the interior where I could put stuff (like groceries, food containers, jackets, etc.) without having to worry about accessing the frunk and the trunk.

So choosing a Cayman GTS 4.0 or a GT4 will have a bit of a more practicality in terms of putting items in the little area behind the seats. Just food for thought. Good luck!
Chris Danusiar (03-26-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:33 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Welcome.

I edited your title; there is no Boxster Spyder in the 982 line.
very doubtfull, my MY 21 718 Spyder has boxster papers , not on the outside of the car (when it came from Zuffenhausen, also Boxster the transfer paper on the outside).
Old 03-07-2022, 04:37 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Just one advice: as 718 platform is only a 2 seater there is less interior space on the Boxster/Spyder models. Coming from a 997 chassis, I had ample space on the interior where I could put stuff (like groceries, food containers, jackets, etc.) without having to worry about accessing the frunk and the trunk.

So choosing a Cayman GTS 4.0 or a GT4 will have a bit of a more practicality in terms of putting items in the little area behind the seats. Just food for thought. Good luck!
Well, I’ve got a real Boxster and a real Spyder (718 Boxster Spyder), the non Spyder version is great for shopping having a fully functional frunk and trunk without opening the roof. Wouldn’t trade that for a Cayman.
But because I don’t do the shopping myself, I prefer my Spyder and my wife the Boxster.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:10 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

given you only need the car for weekend pleasure drives, I would say it's a no brainer to go for the spyder or GT4 (depending on whether you like convertibles).

I am getting a gts 4.0 but only chose it because it will be used for everyday stuff (not commuting) and I live in the core of a city, and so the better ride and clearance and overall easier to live with qualities of the GTS made me choose it

but if I were getting a pleasure drive only car, it would have been the gt4 for me no question (not a vert guy)
Rasputin. (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

When I was going through the process, I knew it was going to be an open top car. I started watching every available YouTube video on the Spyder and BGTS. There is a lot of good content out there. I particularly liked Harry’s Garage review of the Boxster GTS 4.0, and that was highly influential in my decision. The pricing on these cars is not that much different and presented no barrier to entry, so I just focused on what car was the best fit.
GT3FZS (03-26-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:02 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
So as a weekend toy to be driven in the backroads a few times a month and/or few times just driving around town, which is the car to have? My understanding is the GTS is going to be the better all around "everyday" car, but again, when I want a "weekend toy" I want just that, a special toy and so it pushes me to the GT4/Spyder. I really like the design/looks of the Spyder and convertible/buttresses but then I'm annoyed that it is a manual job to put the top up/down.

I seriously can't decide which one to go with. I'm pretty all of these cars are in the 130-150K price range correct?
Based on your expected usage, you will likely enjoy the GT4/Spyder more than the GTS 4.0.

My only word of caution is if you want a car, buy one now. Nobody knows what the future holds for the 718 GT4/Spyder (e.g. 2022 may be final production year) and ADM/secondary prices will surely skyrocket further if demand increases suddenly.

The good news is that these cars are likely a “safe investment” since the entire 718 line is expected to go electric in 2024 for the 2025MY and these will likely be the last ICE GT cars for the cayman/boxster.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:04 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

IMHO there is ZERO reason to get a GT4 if you are not going to track it. The suspension is way too stiff, the wing is pretty gaudy and unnecessary unless you can tell people "because racecar," the engine is too loud inside the car. You will also be annoyed every time you wash it - water/soap suds get trapped in the front "smile" vent and come flying out over the hood and windshield on your first drive.

If you are looking for a coupe, get the GTS - or even a 991.2. The 911 is faster (I think?), more comfortable, more interior space, and... it's a 911. You'll even be able to put your kid in the back seat with a $20 booster. IMO this is the greatest perk of all. I did that with my 5 year old and it sparked his love of Porsches and sports cars.

A convertible is a trickier choice, because the Spyder does look pretty cool with the unique top, but you do mention that it's annoying that it's a manual roof. So get the Boxster GTS.

There. Problem solved.
Ed99 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:16 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
IMHO there is ZERO reason to get a GT4 if you are not going to track it. The suspension is way too stiff, the wing is pretty gaudy and unnecessary unless you can tell people "because racecar," the engine is too loud inside the car. You will also be annoyed every time you wash it - water/soap suds get trapped in the front "smile" vent and come flying out over the hood and windshield on your first drive.
Do you even own/have owned a GT4 because I can tell you this is all absolute nonsense…

His described use case is the exact reason a GT4/Spyder should be top consideration. I have several GT cars and the GT4 is the most compliant and streetable of the bunch. This not some hardcore track car. It’s very much a street car that you can take to the track. This is not the RS.

As far as the washing complaint… My 997 and 991 GT cars all shared the same vent and I have never heard of this being a legit complaint lmao… The fact this is on the “do not buy” reason list just shows how much people are grasping for straws to discount the validity of the GT4/Spyder in order to feel good about their decision not to buy one

Last edited by phow; 03-07-2022 at 09:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by phow:
Alan C. (03-07-2022), Dbridges (03-07-2022), rwm (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM
Nick_CT
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 21 Posts

Drive a GTS flat out on some demanding roads and get a feel for if it is not enough car for you, if it isn't then get a GT4/Spyder. The GTS is pretty capable and super easy to live with, as a daily or just as a weekend car.

Quick Reply: Can't decide! 718 GTS, 718 Spyder or 718 GT4?