Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022 | 07:26 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I stand corrected on the wiring issue. I would imagine that Nick would have crossed over the tweeter/mid combo wire to take out the lowest frequencies or maybe now the tweeter has its own separate wiring that can be crossed over at whatever frequency he deems necessary. We won't know until her weighs in here.
Are you talking about Stage 1 (tweeter only) or stage 2? Stage 2 uses a new 10 channel amp with a built in DSP. That enables configuration and tuning for the whole system. Each speaker has crossover points set, levels adjusted and a multi-band EQ that is optimized for the car and can be adjusted for personal taste as well.

I’ve had more time with the system and it just keeps impressing me. It was tuned for the top down and I’m finding that I need to lower the bass a few clicks when the top is up. Not because it distorts or sounds bad…it’s just that much bass.

I went to a PCA breakfast club meetup today and a few of us had the chance to bounce back and forth between a Boxster GTS with the full Burmester system and my Bose/Musicar. Same songs, back to back. The Musicar setup was far better. Butmester sounded good, but everything from clarity, separation, soundstage, distortion free bass and volume went to Musicar. I’m not knocking Burmester, it was better than Bose for sure and sounded good. With Musicar you get better clarity across the frequency range and you can hear vocals high and centered on the dash. Bose and Burmester pull it way down, you don’t get as much detail and the bass gets muddy more often.

A friend grabbed a quick video of some other friends rocking out during a demo 😂

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 03-19-2022 at 07:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
12v Nick (03-20-2022), sonicworld (03-19-2022)
Old 03-20-2022 | 02:35 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeff, thanks so much for posting the experience! It was really great to meet you and the event was a blast. It's also somewhat validating that even the most cynical... errr.. critical listeners were impressed with the performance.

Okay, lots of questions here — let me see if I can answer these in some quote responses.

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Such nice tweeters. My only concern would be sun exposure. Depending on the amount exposure they will eventually deteriorate.
Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight could certainly cause issues over time. That said, the vent louvers cover the tweeter from nearly all angles and there's a mesh covering under the vent as added protection. I don't think there's really anymore worry than there would be for the factory tweeters or the rest of the interior upholstery for that matter.

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I'm no audiophile so please go easy on me.

I've been following the Burmester tweeter upgrade threads and it seems that they are plug-grind away a little plastic-and play. But others have noted the lack of a capacitor of some sort and have said that missing part will allow the tweeters to become harmed in some fashion, so they don't like the mod.

Does this Musicar stage 1 upgrade deal with that issue?

Are the tweeters they provide complete with the part some say is necessary for proper function?

Or are they driving the tweeters in a unique way that makes the missing part unnecessary?
As some have said, that "missing part" is an electrolytic capacitor and it's designed to limit the lower frequencies the tweeter is able to play. This is necessary since trying to play bass notes through a tweeter would force it to fail prematurely. In cars that have sound package plus(or older platforms with Bose) the tweeter and midrange are on the same amplifier channel, so those bass notes are being sent to both the mid and tweeter. Without the capacitor, the tweeter would fail.

In "active" systems, we have independent channels for each speaker and the capacitor isn't needed since we can send only high-frequency notes to that specific channel. That said, we still use the capacitor as extra insurance in the event that the amplifier fails and sends full-range signals down that line. It's a "safety net" of sorts.

In short, all of our tweeters come with capacitors built into the assembly.

That's probably still confusing, but I hope it helps.

Originally Posted by Visceral
Typically capacitors are used to filter out (block) frequencies lower than a specified value. In the case of a tweeter, that would be to protect the tweeter from lower frequency signals that carry power that the tweeter can't handle. In some cases (presumably far crappier than any design Porsche would use), capacitors can be used as a "on driver" crossover. Often in a car like ours without shielded conductors, it removes or reduces electromagnetic noise from other sources in the car.

My guess is that the amplifiers that Musicar uses have protection installed on the output side or the tweeters can handle whatever will likely come down the wire.

I got to sit in the passenger seat of the car myself on Sunday and @12v Nick played Sarah Jarosz and Tool both flawlessly at ear-bending volumes. If you need a nicer sound system than this in a convertible, I don't understand your use-case. It was incredibly good in soundstage, frequency balance, and power. I'm astounded that the Bose system could be turned into that.
I really enjoyed that audition. Some of my favorite music to evaluate system performance — glad you enjoyed it, too!

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I believe that the stage 2 system has separate aftermarket wires to the tweeters and the DSP amp has its own crossover set to whatever specifications Nick wants. So a safer, more specific, and better design than OEM.
Yes and No — the SPP cars require a separate lead to be ran to the tweeters while the Bose and Burmester cars already have discreet channels.

Last edited by 12v Nick; 03-20-2022 at 02:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
Jeff Jones (03-20-2022), lovetoturn (03-20-2022), mr965 (03-20-2022), SpyderSenseOC (03-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder